PDA

View Full Version : Hour building - Flight around the USA

CraigyD
9th Oct 2010, 18:52
Hey everyone,

Starting to look into my idea of flying to every state in the US next year to finish my hour building. I have flown through out California and in Seattle and just wondered if people could recommend me some 'must see' sights and airfields around the states to visit!

Cheers,

Craigyd

Mad_Mark
10th Oct 2010, 11:36
Have a read of the book 'The Cannibal Queen' by Stephen Coonts. He wrote about his tour of the US in a 1942 Stearman biplane, visiting every state except for Alaska and Hawaii.

The book is a good read, even if only to show how GA should be done - easy rules, lots of airfields, just pitch up, no landing fees, cheep AVGAS, helpful and friendly airfield staff, etc!! Just like the UK :rolleyes:

A and C
10th Oct 2010, 12:01
Ah! this sounds like hour building with value rather than following freeways around Florida (that is no trainning use what so ever).

Good luck with the trip it sounds like fun.

CraigyD
10th Oct 2010, 18:01
Thanks for the comments guys, I will take a look into that book. I wish I could afford to do it in a Stearman!

I think it will not only improve skills but my confidence to. Long distance flights through all sorts of different weather and terrain. That and yes, it will be great fun! May have a friend or two come long (depends on where I want to fly and what A/C etc) to keep me company.

I did read a few months back about some guys who did a similar thing and booked a slot to land their 172's into JFK! Might steal that idea!

Katamarino
11th Oct 2010, 13:33
Well, I will start with the obligatory "use the search function" comment, as this question comes up every few weeks.

Then, I would suggest:

Shelter Cover, CA - Amazing!
Mono Lake (Lee Vining), CA - Eat at the Whoa Nellie Deli, if it's in season. If you're really lucky, you might end up appearing in an episode of MonsterQuest on the History Channel :cool:
Oceano CA
Avalon (Santa Catalina) CA - Have a Buffalo Burger
Kern Valley (Kernville) CA - Tiny and peaceful, with campsite
Half Moon Bay CA - Walk into town out the southern gate, where there's parking, and eat at the HMB Brewing Company
Mariposa CA - Get a taxi/bus into Mariposa, then the bus up to Yosemite
Mojave, CA - Go here and you might see the Virgin Spaceship! The Cafe is ok.
Furnace Creek, CA - Death Valley. Land below sea level, but remember, it's hot!

The Grand Canyon (obviously! Pick up the VFR chart, and follow the rules)

Fly through the VFR corridor overhead LAX at 3500/4500.

Sedona, AZ - Amazing location
Payson, AZ - Say hi to Dave, the airport manager!

Cavern City, NM - Go down the Carlsbad Caverns
Santa Fe NM - Lovely city!

Henderson (Las Vegas), NV - This was ok, if you like that kind of thing

Canyonlands, UT - Land here and call a Jeep rental company (leaflets in the terminal). They'll drop the car off at the airport, and you can go off-roading; they will give you a map with suggested trails. No experience necessary.

Canon City, CO - A good base to drive up into the mountains, see the Royal Gorge and Florissant Fossil beds. Drive down Phantom Canyon too, but I'd suggest getting a reasonably rugged rental car for this.

Hot Springs, AK - Great camping at the Lake Ouachita state park

Mobile, AL - Go to the state park on the shore where they have a battleship, submarine, B52 and other goodies to explore

Hilton Head Island, SC - Take the courtesy car to the Irish pub and have a great burger

Cedar Key, FL - Call the taxi on unicom and go into town for lunch. Look both ways when taxiing across the road!
Key West, FL - Amazing flight along the keys.
Marathon, FL - Go visit the turtle hospital!

Also: Freeport, Bahamas. This was a fun day trip! Stop at Palm Beach International on the way back, and MAKE SURE YOUR PAPERWORK IS OK.

Let me know if you want more ideas...