PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Germany or Florida?

CommunicationsOne
9th Oct 2010, 18:37
Hi,

after deciding to fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a pilot I'm now trying to find my way through the options. Can you please advise?

1. PPL (European): I live near Düsseldorf - which school would you suggest? I've met with VHM and MG Flyers so far.

2. PPL (US): Since I have time from mid October until end November, I could as well go to Florida and do the US PPL there. Here again, any suggestions, which school to go to?

Thanks so much in advance.
IH

stickandrudderman
9th Oct 2010, 22:16
If you intend to fly in Europe I would suggest you learn in Europe, despite the advantages the USA has to offer.

CommunicationsOne
10th Oct 2010, 09:54
sorry, should have explained better in the beginning:

1. I assume flying is more fun in the US (cheaper plane rentals, better weather, more beautiful scenery, ...), so later on I'd probably be travelling to the US to build hours there. If I had the JAR-FCL licence I would have to take some lessons in the US to get the JAA license, which is a lot easier then vice-versa.

2. Time-wise, I'd use this autumn to get as far as I can and finish in spring next year (if I don't make it now). October would be for getting the TSA and all other legal requiremnts sorted and start would be - hopefully - early Nov.

To give you an idea of prices in Germany compared to US: Germany is round about 15.000 € = 19.000 $ for the PPL license ..... so that's giving me some decent trouble.

Thanks for your suggestions.
IH

douglas.lindsay
10th Oct 2010, 14:47
you might want to bear in mind that mid October is generally the height of the Florida hurricane season... could hamper the flying a little...

CommunicationsOne
10th Oct 2010, 17:43
yes, thanks - I'll keep that in mind.
Flying should only start early Nov, so I hope to get through without Hurricanes.

IH

CommunicationsOne
10th Oct 2010, 17:49
Hi,

:D thanks to your support I've decided to do my PPL in Florida. Now, there is an abundance of schools and I'm a bit lost. Which school should I choose? Do you have recommendations or experience with one of these? :confused:

Florida Aviation in St. Augustine
Paragon in Ft. Myers
Florida Flyers in St. Augustine
Very grateful greetings from sunny Germany
IH

IO540
10th Oct 2010, 17:57
Florida is not so good for weather. If you want great weather, go to Arizona.

But, outside Florida, there is only one place where you can do a JAA PPL and it is in California. I don't recall its name though. The weather there should be better than Florida...

You won't have time for checking out any "beautiful scenery" though (of either type ;) ). It is going to be a full time project.

ct2003
12th Oct 2010, 20:18
@comm one

Try to get more quotes for ppl in Germany. Your assumption of 15 000 Euros is way too high. You will find relevant discussions at pilotenboard.de or may be also at pilots.de. "eazy" has posted certain tricks and traps how flight schools try to hide the full costs but which you have to take into account, also for comparing offers.
Around DUS, there are many more schools than just two, afaik.

jkveenstra
13th Oct 2010, 22:08
But, outside Florida, there is only one place where you can do a JAA PPL and it is in California.

www.flyaaa.com (http://www.flyaaa.com)

Now, there is an abundance of schools and I'm a bit lost. Which school should I choose?

Are you planning to do an FAA PPL course? The schools you mention only provide the FAA course. Just to consider: you are not able to fly a EASA reg a/c with your FAA license, you are restricted to N-reg a/c. EASA is talking about banning the N-reg A/C in Europe.

IngoWolf
14th Oct 2010, 00:22
Did my JAA PPL+Nightrating at flyaaa.com at 55 hours in 2 months.
In 2005 8000 Euros including all (Flight, living (not much), no car rented)
Was my first time in staates.
I think still achivable at that price in Germany too but without the us experience flying in staates is lot more freedom, leave europe in winter and fly in california is not the worst kind of live.
California is nicer than florida no huricans, not so humid, nice mountains, but there is rain and clouds at least in San Diego too, pacific usualy cold for swimming.
Got planes to rent after one hour checkout at several places in Germany.
Calculating 2 months in front is saver and more relaxed.
Have a dollar account at comdirect to buy dollars when cheap.

jkveenstra
14th Oct 2010, 20:53
Since the immigration troubles with AAA, mentioned in the previous post, the school was sold. The new owner changed the name from "Anglo American Aviation" to "American Aviation Academy".

I did my JAA PPL there last year. Great school. PM me if you need any other info.

WestWind1950
15th Oct 2010, 16:53
I just returned from El Cajon (SEE) last week... didn't do any flying this trip :(

I would recommend Golden State Flying Club at Gillespie... fun guys, club atmosphere. But you won't manage training in only a few weeks.

I was only over one week... I would have loved to have met up with a few ppruners over there! I did manage to visit the Miramar Air show!

Westy