PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ATPL written test

Check Airman
9th Oct 2010, 09:27
Hey all,

I currently hold an FAA CPL, and I would like to do the TC ATPL written test. I had a look at the TC website, but didn't find the information I was looking for. Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

I'm looking for general information about prerequisites for taking the tests and where to find the relevant study material. Thanks!

Panama Jack
9th Oct 2010, 12:55
If you are holding a valid FAA Commercial or ATP Certificate, you may want to look here (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-usconversion-480.htm)

You may find it favorable to get your US ATP first.

Question banks are not for sale like in the USA.

Gaius Westman
9th Oct 2010, 18:54
Out of curiosity, how are you a check airman but don't have an ATP.

As Panama Jack said, getting your FAA ATP and then converting is the easiest route.

Thunderpants
10th Oct 2010, 02:05
Aerocourse....excellent text books, test questions, and outstanding instructors. I did the 3 day weekend course, and then wrote both exams the following week. worked for me.

Welcome to AeroCourse.com (http://www.aerocourse.com/)

Good Luck!

Check Airman
11th Oct 2010, 04:09
Thanks for the link Panama Jack.

Unfortunately, I'm still a few hours shy of getting my FAA ATP, so that's not an option yet.

Incidentally, I never thought of using question banks. I was thinking of studying the material the old fashioned way (with coffee and a textbook).

Gaius Westman,

The screen name is just that, not a title (yet):). My title is "sir" (or that's what my students call me).:}

Thunderpants,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for a solid study route that will allow me to get the written done.

While you guys are wondering, I want to take the Canadian ATP written to put it on my CV. I can easily take the FAA written, but that's not worth much to non-US carriers.

Gaius Westman
11th Oct 2010, 13:06
Check Airmen -

I'd suggest just waiting a bit longer and then doing your FAA ATP checkride.

Once you have that, it is a very easy conversion test, from FAA to TC.

Companies in the US won't care whether you have a TC ATPL written (or not), and vice versa. I work on both sides of the border and there is a surprising ignorance from both sides about the relative difficulties and merits of either side. And of course each side believes theirs is superior. Most people in the US know about the challenges of the JAA (European) licensing exams, but Transport Canada ATPL, whats that?

One example, all training in the US at the regional level, is tainted with the brush of the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo. The perception is that they don't train thoroughly enough - when I don't believe that to be the case. The training I received at the regional level in the US is far far superior to almost anything I've gotten in Canada. But because in Canada, ASA, Compass, or Piedmont mean very little, they tend to gravitate towards what they know - as in operators up north who literally do training by throwing you the POH, say learn it over the weekend, and we'll do a couple trips around the pattern on Monday - are perceived to be on par with US operators who do two weeks of ground school, 6-10 sessions of Level D sims, 15% rides, and 25 hours of IOE.

Lastly, TC ATPL won't help you much unless you are actively applying for jobs in Canada. You might even have to do the IATRA exam beforehand. Actively applying for jobs in Canada typically means taking the car, doing a road trip, hitting all sorts of podunk Northern outposts, and working ramp or dock for 6 months to 2 years to get your foot in the door for a King Air FO job.

Your mileage may vary, but that is just my 2cents on the matter.

Check Airman
11th Oct 2010, 13:56
check your PM Gaius

EricCartman
31st Oct 2010, 13:43
Check Airman,

I'm an odd case and may have been let down a weird road, but here's where I'm at and what I believe I'll get based on TC and other promises assurances. (I'll be sure to post if things change.)

2500TT w/ US AS/MEL ASES Comm IFR etc. & TC gave me all the equivalent in Canada. (Sauf the ifr ticket on the license.)

Then I took the TC FAAIA, did an IFR PPC in the States and TC awarded me an instrument rating.

Then I took the SAMRA and SARON (and passed on first go) and in theory I'll now have a TC ATPL. Then (if I want) I can run down to OK City (over the phone or internets hopefully) and ask for an FAA ATP on the strength of my Canadian ATPL.

My recommendation? If you have the hours then do it in Canada and save the expense. The Canadian written is comprehensive (enough) for a newbie on high altitude stuff and the big bonus? No checkride. It is all writtens. So unless you want to burn up valuable dollars and time in a tired old Aztec or Navajo for the joy of saying you passed yet another checkride, as I understand it, the TC deal is simply that you need to pass the SARON and SAMRA. These are 80 questions (and 3 hours avail.) each.

The Aerocourse book is good, and if you are near Montreal, I highly recommend the Mark Perron class - offered in french or english btw.

Mark is great, you'll learn stuff and if you follow his lead, you'll likely pass the tests.

+TSRA
2nd Nov 2010, 19:03
Not sure how old your information is EricCartman, but Transport Canada most certainly requires a checkride in the form of a Group 1 Instrument Rating Flight Test within 12 months of the application for the issue of an ATPL.

EricCartman
8th Nov 2010, 11:19
yep, and with dumbfounded repeated "are you sure?" questions to the gang at the desk @ TC they said "yes" my recent PPC check for IFR renewal in the States, the consequent issuance of a fresh Canadian IFR rating, made it all possible

at this point, I'm all done - I'm just waiting for the logs back and the little sticker for little book - or the phone call to come in and "s'plain a few things" - either way, i'll keep you posted here