PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lima

Minesthechevy
8th Oct 2010, 09:48
Would someone with a better memory than mine please tell me why GAVML was always treated with special affection?

I'm sure it's been posted 100 times, but sorry, I forget stuff....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Oct 2010, 10:38
M R_O_M_E_O. The legend of G-AVMR. Basically, there's was a misunderstanding as it was descending on a SW heading off Bovingdon. The #1 DIR thought he had transferred it to #2 but nobody tumbled until is was passing Cardiff westbound (well not quite). However, A Watch vowed that MR would always receive special treatment whilst we were working. Crews got to know and when holding would often say "We're MR if that helps!"

One evening, landing 27L, there was some sort of problem in T1 so BAA alloocated H34. As it taxiied in off Bl 83 we said "Inner straight-in for H34" stunned silence. Then a voice said "I know we're MR but this is ridiculous".

BOAC
8th Oct 2010, 11:22
...........and what about ML?:}

Minesthechevy
8th Oct 2010, 11:22
Ah-ha, thanks Bren.

250 kts
8th Oct 2010, 17:04
and what about ML

It got hijacked I seem to remember.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Oct 2010, 19:39
I never heard anything about ML. If that was the 1-11 which was hijacked I was the Air controller when it landed and spent considerable time as the ATC contact with the crew later. However, the main "legend" was about G-AVMR.

paulthornton
8th Oct 2010, 19:58
By a strange coincidence, I spent a while earlier today trying to track down the audio recording of the story of Mike Romeo as told by one of the controllers involved. Looking at old prune posts where it comes up, I believe that you were there HD...

I'm certain that I've heard the recording at some point in the past, but now cannot find it anywhere - all of the links seem to be about 5 years old and no longer work. Does anyone have a link to a download or somewhere else that it is available please?

It would never be allowed these days :sad:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Oct 2010, 20:16
Yes, I was in the Approach Room at the time. I think all the recordings of the story have gone from the Internet because the various web sites have become disused. I can't imagine why "it would never be allowed these days"?

Andy Mayes
8th Oct 2010, 20:43
paulthornton,

I'm pretty sure it was David Gunson, the name of the after dinner speaker who is renowned for talking about Mike Romeo. I've got it on CD, I'll dig it out when I get home and check that's his name.

Sir Herbert Gussett
8th Oct 2010, 20:44
I have just uploaded a clip here - not sure if it is the one you are after but at least it's the story! http://rapidshare.com/files/423917553/mikeromeo.mp3

paulthornton
8th Oct 2010, 21:11
Thanks very much for that, Sir Herbert. I think that is the one I remember hearing in the past.

Paul.

elandel
8th Oct 2010, 21:13
The only person to hear that story from is from AC!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Oct 2010, 07:09
David Gunson never worked at Heathrow so while is an excellent speaker on ATC matters he is hardly qualified to talk about MR and could not possible know the full story unless someone intimately involved provided him with such, which I doubt.

Over+Out
9th Oct 2010, 08:00
When MR was scrapped at HH, the reg was cut out and I believe it was presented to AC when he retired.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Oct 2010, 08:14
Indeed... on a specially fabricated 6 foot long flight progress strip. Al's immediate reaction was how the heck he was going to get it home!!!

conflict alert
9th Oct 2010, 08:15
for us uneducated but interested folk - what or whom was mike lima

Red Four
9th Oct 2010, 08:38
GINFO Search Results | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=AVML)

Lon More
9th Oct 2010, 10:06
Unfortunately Sir Herbert's sound clip is no longer available

Unassigned file limit of 10 downloads reached.

paulthornton
9th Oct 2010, 11:33
For those who are still after the clip that Sir Herbert posted, I've put a copy of it here: http://www.prt.org/temp/mikeromeo.mp3

Paul.

Sir Herbert Gussett
9th Oct 2010, 11:38
Thanks Paul I'm afraid I'm too much of a tight-arse to get Rapidshare Premium or my own web storage :}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Oct 2010, 12:57
And that was the story of Mike Romeo as told by Alan Carter.....

speedbird182
9th Oct 2010, 18:13
That did bring a smile to my face. I must admit to having heard rumours of the fabled Mike Romeo before, but always thought they were just a story.

Lon More
9th Oct 2010, 18:50
Thanks; I didn't realise i had reached a limit but thought it was the number of times it had been opened