PDA

View Full Version : PA38, PA28 or DA40 for an IMC an night rating

Chloe881
7th Oct 2010, 22:30
Hello,

I'd need a little help for the choice of my flying school and the aeroplane in order to do an IMC and night rating.
The opportunity to fly on a DA40D glass cockpit is given to me and I'd like to know if it's the best aeroplane for an IMC or if the PAs would be just as well (or even a more formative).
The PA28 is almost the same price, and the PA38 is cheaper.
I've done my PPL in a C172, and I would like something quite different, but I want a aeroplane as much formative as possible.
So if you could please help me, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much

IO540
8th Oct 2010, 06:05
You should aim to train in the plane you will be flying afterwards.

Fairly obviously you will not want to be flying a PA38 in IMC or at night. It is a very unstable plane which will be very hard work.

Of those you mention, go for the DA40 with the modern avionics - especially if it has a working autopilot.

gg190
8th Oct 2010, 06:40
I second the comment about the PA38, I did most of my IMC in a PA28 but had to do a few lessons in the 38 and it was much harder work.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the 38's were originally built with IFR kit, those that have it now have been retrofitted. This means the layout of the panel is not very ergonomically friendly, adding to the workload (at least that was the case in the 38 I flew). On the other hand most 28's were built to IFR standard and have a sensible panel layout.

sp6
8th Oct 2010, 09:30
I take it the PA28 is analogue instruments?

If your flying afterwards will be glass cockpit then choose the DA40. If you will be reverting back to traditional instruments then you should do the IMC & Night on the PA28.

Personally, I'd rather fly the DA40, and rather be the instructor in the DA40 for teaching ex19 - visibility is far, far better. When you are all foggled up on the left, it is nice to know the bloke on the right is looking out!

FlyingStone
8th Oct 2010, 09:38
PA38 isn't such a bad aircraft for night flying, although if you're planning to do IMC training in it, make sure the instrument panel is at least partially in order (as said, the majority of aircraft wasn't originally "IFR" equipped).

But as said, do the night/IMC training in the aircraft you'll fly after the training, since you'll be more familiar with the aircraft that way and when flying at night, that's not such a bad thing to be.