PDA

View Full Version : Diversion airfields near Barton

neilgeddes
7th Oct 2010, 19:01
Hi, I'll be making my first flight from Redhill to Manchester Barton next week, transitting the low level corridor VFR between Liverpool and Manchester. Should take about 1hr 45 mins.

What are my sensible diversion options should the weather be bad around Barton? I do have an IMC rating and am current but I'm not familiar with airports in this area. A few years ago I flew into Blackpool so that's one possibility. Where else should I consider? Hawarden? I'm presuming Liverpool and Manchester themselves should only be used in an emergency.

Also, would Shawbury LARS be a good facility to speak to on the way up?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Rgds, Neil

Sir George Cayley
7th Oct 2010, 20:17
A weather diversion to either LPL or MAN is not a problem. For MAN the problem will be the cost!

If you look at the LLC notice how the LPL final approach is conveniently placed near the north end. I'd make Liverpool and Cheshire Flying Services your alternate.

Barton is great but just make sure your at the right height and speed for a small grass aerodrome when you turn finals.

Have a great trip!

Sir George Cayley

chris-h
7th Oct 2010, 21:20
As SGC said Manchester or Liverpool are fine for diversions, If its because of bad weather im sure Liverpool waver the cost.
To the south of Liverpool you also have Hawarden and Sleap :)

neilgeddes
8th Oct 2010, 06:52
Liverpool looks to be a very sensible alternate to plan for, then 50 mins into Manchester by train if need be. I hadn't thought of Sleap. Thanks both of you!

md 600 driver
8th Oct 2010, 09:56
Liverpool charged me for wx diversion it was not cheap but was available

dublinpilot
8th Oct 2010, 11:56
A number of years ago, I had to divert into Liverpool. The viz was poor enough across land, but once I came to coast out back to Ireland, everything was pure murk. There was no difference between up/down/left/right.

Had I continued the conditions would have been the same as if I'd been inside a cloud, or wearing foggles.

I diverted to Liverpool, and was damn glad of the option.

I asked if they were members of the Strasser scheme when paying may landing/handling fee, and was told they were not. I wasn't too bothered to be honest. I was damn glad of somewhere to land, and I was well looked after there.

On returning home, I looked it up, and found out that they were officially listed as members of the Strasser scheme.

Never bothered following it up though, as I felt I'd been well treated. I think it cost in the region of £40, 50% of which was landing and 50% handling.

dp

Oldpilot55
9th Oct 2010, 21:56
Ashcroft..just at the south end of the LLC
they have a website and that details what rw lengths are available.

sammypilot
10th Oct 2010, 07:24
If open, both Woodford and Hawarden are accommodating at the moment and have the advantage of being quiet with good radar. Blackpool is also part of the Strasser Scheme and Warton can give you good radar service to get there.

neilgeddes
10th Oct 2010, 08:07
Ashcroft..just at the south end of the LLC

Good information thanks. Ashcroft Airfield (EGCR) (http://www.ashcroftair.co.uk/visitors.htm)

neilgeddes
10th Oct 2010, 08:14
If open, both Woodford and Hawarden are accommodating at the moment and have the advantage of being quiet with good radar. Blackpool...

Ok thanks. I was kind of assuming that Woodford, being BAe Systems, wouldn't want to handle any GA aircraft except in an emergency? Hawarden is definitely on my alternate list. I hope not to have to fly on as far as Blackpool, and make any diversion decisions before entering the corridor.

sammypilot
10th Oct 2010, 11:47
Neil, The Grapevine has it that due to imminent closure ATC at Woodford is happy to give GA pilots a last chance to fly in. I suggest you give them a ring.

ANW
10th Oct 2010, 18:41
Subject to what is 'on' re test flying on any particular day, BAE Woodford will permit circuit training ONLY. The airfield is NOT available to GA visiting aircraft, which need an end destination.

As regards Barton, now that we are approaching the wet weather winter season, remember the airfield can be waterlogged closed, as it was one day recently. Keep in mind, if there has been heavy overnight rain.