PDA

View Full Version : All Lufthansa Companies hiring Ready Entries from 2011

Captain McFly
7th Oct 2010, 14:31
Hi there,
just to inform you:
All Lufthansa Companies are hiring Ready Entries starting from 2011.
Requirements:

Lufthansa: 600h total time. Base: Frankfurt, Munich. You will start on A320 or B737.

Lufthansa Cargo: 1000h on Jet or Turboprop. Base: Frankfurt. You will start on MD11.

Lufthansa CityLine: no hours requirement, just a licence is required. Base: Frankfurt, Munich. You will start on Canadair CRJ.

Germanwings: no hours requirement, just a licence is required. Base: Cologne, Stuttgart, Berlin, Dortmund, Hannover, Hamburg. You will start on A319.

Recruitement process: That bloody DLR-Test...
What you need: A-Levels, EU citizenship or permanent residence in any EU country.
All companies sponsor the type rating; no need to pay anything.

The only turn-down: Some german language competence required.
From my point of view, required german language knowledge is fairly low at Lufthansa CityLine. Many, many colleagues from the Netherlands and other countries are permanently employed there. Some have a very strong accent of which nobody ever cared and they're phantastic guys and gals.
So, if you know a little bit of german and maybe wanting to improve, this might be a chance. As english and german belong to the same family of languages, it's maybe not tooooo hard to pick up some of that language.
For all LH-companies it definitely does not matter, where you come from (they indeed employ people from all over the world, like US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Asia, all of Europe, etc.), however, the language is the problem...
Good luck to all of you!

Captain McFly
7th Oct 2010, 19:33
Hi Led Ballon,
:D
try to confuse them on the continent, which is easy!
They will never find out, if you express everything in imperial units... - and make it difficult: inch, foot, yard, link, ell, step,... :E
At least in Munich, all you need to know, is a "Maß" (or "Mass" to omit the german "sharp s") (of beer), which is roughly two pints or a quart - you'll have their sympathy...
:hmm::):confused:

woodpecker1000
11th Oct 2010, 02:53
What's the age limit?

Captain McFly
11th Oct 2010, 15:49
Hi Woodpecker,
there's no age limit anymore; you're right, before there was some, but not anymore.
Just looked up the details:
For applications to Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Lufthansa Italia, Germanwings (Details below only, apply at https://www.interpersonal.de/ ):
http://www.lufthansa-pilot.de/
- Body height: 1,65m to 1,98m.
- Ametropia up to +/- 3 dioptre.
- Unrestricted Passport.
- Medical Class 1 (of course...)
- A-Levels
- and some german language knowledge, as already reported (seems like level B1)
- Military or Civil Service (if applicable) served or suspended

Lufthansa CityLine:
https://www.interpersonal.de/
- School exam one level below A-Levels, don't know what this is in the UK e.g.
- no restriction on ametropia

For Lufthansa CityLine and Germanwings:
MCC not required, can be obtained during type rating. MCC and type rating will be sponsored by those companies.

INNflight
11th Oct 2010, 18:50
You're a bit late on that, LH Cityline and Germanwings have been (and still are) recruiting for months!

Still, most certainly a very decent place to get into should you speak German and pass the darn DLR Test! Think where you'd like to end up before sitting it btw, it's one take only, no retakes. If you fail the LH DLR you won't get a shot at Cityline or Germanwings.

kuryus
12th Oct 2010, 09:52
Actualy INNFlight from what I heard you can only take the DLR once but for each airline. For example you go there for Lufthansa Italy and if you fail you cannot apply for that one again, but if you want to apply to GermanWings, TurkishAirline or some other you still can. Of course you have to go and try to pass the DLR that time. Which is not an easy thing to do.
I'm not absolute certain about this of course, but I think this is it.

Denti
12th Oct 2010, 10:18
You cannot retake the DLR-Test for any other Lufthansa Company, however other companies might think different and let you retry it. If you fail it for any lufty company (lh cityline, germanwings, lh italia, lh cargo or lh "classic") you might still get a chance at turkish airlines for example, or condor for that matter.

Uncle Wiggily
12th Oct 2010, 11:58
Some german language competence required

Gee Einstein, I guess one couldn't figure this out due to the fact that their hiring webpage is in uh, uh..........German.

Captain McFly
14th Oct 2010, 23:50
Sure? Please double-check:
https://www.interpersonal.de/site/mm_jobseeker/clh_careers/
By the way, I have a pretty cool LH-job; I'm just trying to help others. If not welcome, no problem.

Back to facts:
Denti is right. The DLR-Test can be done only once for all LH-corporate group airlines. So, if you apply and fail e.g. at Germanwings, you cannot reapply at LH, LH Cargo, LH CityLine. I'm unsure about the status of LH Italia.
However, of course you can apply again e.g. for Turish Airlines.

Mohit_C
15th Oct 2010, 07:55
For applications to Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Lufthansa Italia, Germanwings (Details below only, apply at https://www.interpersonal.de/ ):
http://www.lufthansa-pilot.de/
- Body height: 1,65m to 1,98m.
- Ametropia up to +/- 3 dioptre.
- Unrestricted Passport.
- Medical Class 1 (of course...)
- A-Levels
- and some german language knowledge, as already reported (seems like level B1)
- Military or Civil Service (if applicable) served or suspended

How strict are they on the vision? It would be a shame to learn the language but then be kicked back because of their medical standards. Any chance of them removing or relieving the tolerance?

mattpilot
15th Oct 2010, 08:15
Ametropia up to +/- 3 dioptre

Like Mohit, i'm also curious how strict they are on this. I'm stting at -3.25, which is pretty much unchanged for the last 5 years so unlikely to get worse. Would this disqualify me from LH?

INNflight
15th Oct 2010, 08:34
I'm gonna have to say yes... otherwise they'd limit it to +/- 3.5, wouldn't they?

Capt McFly, don't take it the wrong way, I am sure everyone appreciates the help. My application with LH City and Condor are in already, just waiting to hear back - fingers crossed.

Captain McFly
15th Oct 2010, 15:26
Hi there,
well, the Ametropia-Limit is rather fixed.
All successful applicants have to obtain a Medical Certificate from the Lufthansa Aeromedical Center in Frankfurt. It's an initial medical exam, including drug and alcohol screening. The whole procedure takes approximately the whole day from 8am until about 2 to 4pm.

However, Lufthansa CityLine DOES NOT have an ametropia limit.

Additionally, Lufthansa CityLine is the only company which clearly states a language knowledge requirement. CityLine requires Level B1.
Let's take a look on the Wikipedia:
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages)

Level B1 is defined as:
"Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans."

To be honest, that does not sound too bad to me; that doesn't sound like a lifetime task to learn.

My honest advice is:
Try passing the DLR-Test with Lufthansa CityLine. I think they are most tolerable. As a passed DLR-Test with Lufthansa CityLine is valid in all other Lufthansa companies, once you have passed, you can still simply ask any other Lufthansa company about their conditions and if they are willing to offer you a contract.
If they are willing to offer you a contract, which is depending on the damand only once you are "DLR postive", not one single further interview or anything else will be required - however, you will need to fulfill the slightly higher formal (educational and medical) requirements.

As to the german language requirements:
As I truly know, how damn difficult it is to get into that industry, I believe learning some german up to level B1 and maybe beyond is a good idea for every (desperately) job-hunting pilot with a EU citizenship.
Look: In contrast to English, French and Spanish, which is spoken widely around the world, German is being spoken only in a small area. However, in regard of the three german speaking countries Austria, Germany and Switzerland, the language defines Europe's largest markt with roundabout 99 Million inhabitants and dozens of airlines. As it seems like any airline is requiring you to speak some of the local language, why not aiming on the largest market in Europe if you should come in the end to the conclusion, that you're going to learn another language at all?

inner
16th Oct 2010, 15:30
Some part i agree with the last poster, if you can speak german, a lot more doors will ge open BUT the time to learn that language is quite long. You don't learn german in 2 months. Its is a damn difficult language. I can speak dutch but even for me german is very difficult.

Uncle Wiggily
16th Oct 2010, 18:28
Call this a wild and crazy theory, but perhaps they are possibly looking for German people?!?! This reminds me of the thread a few years ago about Lufthansa Italia and their Italian language requirement. Well we all know how that went down.

Smell the Coffee
16th Oct 2010, 19:00
Call this a wild and crazy theory, but perhaps they are possibly looking for German people?!?!

I think you mean German speakers. BA pilots' nationalities vary for instance, but not their ability to speak English competently.

If you don't already have a competent grasp of speaking German, the LH group are irrelevant.

Captain McFly
16th Oct 2010, 23:38
Hello Uncle Wiggily,

Call this a wild and crazy theory, but perhaps they are possibly looking for German people?!?!no, that's not the point. Once I descended with the whole crew on a famous Burger restaurant in Birmingham. After a lot of great food and other stuff, we suddenly realized and were amuzed about the fact that none of us was really "German". You would have been very surprised to see our LH-IDs, as the only person in our crew holding a german passport even wasn't born in Germany, holding a very strange name while the others had Italian passports (among them the Captain with an "ultra-italian" name) and one crewmember even a Japanese one... You really underestimate, how international the company is. Of course, it employs a lot of "Hans Müllers", but by far not only.
However, all spoke acceptable or good German, while most of us had more than one native language.

My last advice:
As those people interested in a LH-job might have already heard, the application process will take you through three steps:
- Pilot Qualification Assessment
- Simulator Screening
- Psychological Evaluation

I have heard several times, that steps 1 and 2 can be done completely in English. German language competence will be required during the third step.
As a native speaker, I was never too much interested in those special procedures; so I never checked if these rumors were true.
If somebody out here is interested if this rumor is true, he/she could call the company and ask for details (and maybe post the company's answer here).
That might be a reasonable way:
Do steps 1 and 2 in English and if successful, take your time, learn german to level B1 and finally try the last step.
If you've already been successful on steps 1 and 2, your chances of getting through are significant and maybe worth the effort to learn a bit of that damn language.

ReallyAnnoyed
18th Oct 2010, 10:22
I believe you can pass the DLR for cityline, but be LH negative which means you can't apply to mainline with their vastly better terms and conditions. In any case, they do list Deutsch und Englisch fließend in Wort und Schrift on the website, so I think you need to be able to speak German fluently. If you apply for mainline, everything at the DLR will be in German. If in doubt, send them an email and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Drevenack
21st Apr 2011, 04:42
Turns out there is actually one.
I filled out the online application just to get a little screen telling me I do not qualify at the very end. I called the number listed and was told that at 34 I am just over the age limit of... 33.

JonnyTheCrayfish
16th May 2011, 11:14
Just to get back to the age limit - if it really is 33, and I assume this is for mainline, could you still theoretically get into Cityline and then later on move over to mainline, even after passing 33..? Any ideas McFly? Or anyone else in the know?

Just trying to figure out if it is worth it to first try out Cityline or just shoot straight for mainline, since that specified age limit is around the corner.:} I wouldn't wanna fail the mainline selection and then be left with no option for Cityline either... :ugh:

lowen
24th May 2011, 23:05
So what have people found the best way of learning this language is? Audio books don't seem to work for me!

Callum Riseley
25th May 2011, 07:50
I've been learning German for about 7 years now and I can tell you, don't expect to pick it up within days! If you read Mark Twain's essay titled "The Awful German Language" you'll understand what I mean!

Here's a quick extract:

My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person ought to learn English (barring spelling and pronouncing) in thirty hours, French in thirty days, and German in thirty years. It seems manifest, then, that the latter tongue ought to be trimmed down and repaired. If it is to remain as it is, it ought to be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for only the dead have time to learn it.

German vocabulary isn't so much of a problem, the grammar is the big issue! I have a book called "Collins Easy Learning German Grammar" which is very detailed but it is aimed at people that have learnt languages before (or perhaps studied in-depth the grammar of the English language). If you're very serious about learning German and have a few spare pennies I'd thoroughly recommend staying in Germany for a few weeks and attending a Goethe Institut course. Take a look here Learn German in Germany ? German courses and exams - Learn German at the Goethe-Instituts in Germany*-*Goethe-Institut* (http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/enindex.htm)
Viel Glück!
Callum.

Denti
25th May 2011, 10:40
If you think german grammatic is difficult, try polish...

Anyway, doing a german course in a goethe institute (either in your home country or in germany) is probably the best idea.

If you try to live in germany for a while to pick up the language be careful where in germany you learn it, there are quite different accents within the country, some are so bad that other germans do not understand it.

Smell the Coffee
25th May 2011, 11:52
If you try to live in germany for a while to pick up the language be careful where in germany you learn it, there are quite different accents within the country, some are so bad that other germans do not understand it.

Oh, so it happens in Germany too. :}

B_Con_Outbound
10th Jun 2011, 12:05
@ JonnyTheCrayfish

I'm 34 and just passed the DLR for Cityline and have an appointment in Berlin for my sim grading. I assume they would not go through all this trouble (reserving an expensive sim hour with two highly payed instructors) if there was an age limit of 33.

Question: Does anyone know how long your DLR test results stay valid??

Another
14th Jun 2011, 12:46
@ B_Con_Outbound,

whats your ~ level of german? (or maybe you are german speaking?)

any rough estimate would help to calibrate!
did you take it for a/as-levels?

thanks
Mike

olivermbs
14th Jun 2011, 22:51
Sorry for the silly question, but could someone please define "Ready Entries"? I mean for example for Cityline and Germanwings it says no hours required, so what are the requirements to make you a "ready entry"?

Cheers

Hot High Heavy
21st Jun 2011, 04:02
Hi fellas, silly question but what is the DLR that everyone is talking about?

I'm in Australia and havent come across this yet.

Do you need a JAA licence for these positions?

Cheers, HHH

aozc
23rd Jun 2011, 10:00
DLR is a psychological evaluation conducted in Hamburg, Germany at an aviation psychology institute, so to say.

Since you will be living in and flying from JAA-countries you must have JAA-licenses/ratings/classes/atpl-theory etc.

julien1763
15th Aug 2011, 15:33
Hi everyone here,

I will shortly describe my experience with German language. I decided last year to quit my job in a small french airline and take some fresh air in Germany (to learn the language and have this experience before I turn 30, as I was a volunteer in an organisation). I left France beginning october and arrived in a very small place in south Germany near Constance lake-Bodensee. My previous contact with the language was merely more than doing a cd based method. I attended 2 german courses during my time there (all paid for by my organisation, of course) on top of my work in a german school as a french language assistant. After 3 months, my german was already enough for short conversations (better understanding than speaking), after 6 months it was quite fluent and now it is fluent. My last language course was a B1+ language course and I had the level required for that (I assume my level is about B2+ now, which I should certify with a diploma). My time in Germany finished at the end of July, I have to specify that the accent in that part of Germany is quite different to the others but I kept most of my french accent as it is cute (so they say anyway).
About german grammar, I have to say it is not easy, but if, like me you are motivated, you'll make it!
If you need any more info, then ask!

Now I am in for the DLH Cityline selection process, as it is the only airline in the LH pool that has no sight requirement...

Question:
What is the best for me to prepare for the DLR test?

Danke sehr, I appreciate!

hvogt
15th Aug 2011, 17:56
What is the best for me to prepare for the DLR test?They will send you access details for their website, so you can download some CBTs for your preparation. If you feel practicing with these CBTs isn't enough SkyTest® - Preparation Software for: DLR Test (Lufthansa, LH Italia, Austrian Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Royal Jordanian, SunExpress, DFS), Swiss, Cargolux, FEAST (Eurocontrol), Austro Control, Skyguide (http://www.skytest.com) offers popular prepware.

julien1763
17th Aug 2011, 11:04
Thank you, hvogt! See you in Germany, maybe ;)

MrCRJ
18th Aug 2011, 12:05
Hi all!!

Quick question! A few weeks ago I applied for FO at Lufthansa Cityline after I which I received an email that I had to convert my Dutch secondary school certificate to a German one so that they can continue processing my application. At the moment I am busy doing this but I was wondering, does this mean that I will get an invitation for the DLR as soon as I have sent a German secondary school certificate?

tornblom
20th Aug 2011, 23:17
Could anyone tell me what LH companies uses the B737-300 for sim screening and what companies uses the computer screen "sim"?
I have rating on the B737 so I guess the B737 Sim would give me some advantage. I have read the info material regarding Cityline and it seems to me that they are uses the computer screen, but I'm not sure. I have heard that the LH Italia used the B737-300. What is Germanwings using for sim screening?

And also does anyone know if there is other differences with the LH Cityline, Germanwings on the next phase after you passed DLR GU? I think it is called FQ or FU?

Since I have passed the DLR I would like to only get info on whats next. Thanks!

McMax
21st Aug 2011, 08:18
LH Passage/Germanwings 737 classic

If rated, you have to perform a NDB and a ILS circle to land.
Otherwise just NDB and ILS

Cityline = CRJ in Berlin.

FQ = for the ab inition selection
FU = for ready entries. For all the same! Even if you are applying for GWI, there might be two LH Captains. It's one selection board...

But you'll get a very good handout if your Sim screening date is fixed!
Stick to that hand out and you'll be fine!

julien1763
24th Aug 2011, 09:16
Mr CRJ, it just mean that Cityline is interested in your application, but in order to process it they need your translated diploma (well just a paper from the administration stating which german equivalence your high school diploma bears). Then, if your application interests them further, they will invite you for DLR.

Henrsd28
24th Aug 2011, 20:15
Anyone know if city line would waive the language requirement. I have a PIC type rating with 6000 hours on the CRJ. I have germany work permit, U.S. passport and JAA ATPL conversion.

Wanny
26th Aug 2011, 09:18
Hello everyone,

I got a letter from Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt that there is no registration in the trafficregister, what does it mean exactly? And do I have to send the letter to LH or just bring it along at the screening?

Thx!

22Left
27th Aug 2011, 11:15
@ Henrsd28:
German language is a requirement. Unfortunately...

@ Wanny:
You need that for the 'Firmenuntersuchung', not yet for the screening.

Wanny
30th Aug 2011, 08:22
Can someone confirm there are no abnormals during the sim check for ready-entries (non-type rated)?

perikitovolador
1st Sep 2011, 10:36
Hi everybody!

I have just received an e-mail telling me that my Application is not succesfull due to my German level...I have A2-B1 level, i have lived in Germany for a few months...
So, the invite me to call them if i improve my german skills...so you know, study german!! hehe!
good luck!

julien1763
3rd Sep 2011, 17:28
And actually perikitovolador... where did you state your language level? Because it wasn't so accurate for me...
By the way, does anyone want to sell his skytest version for DLR-GU? I got invited for a DLR screening in Hamburg in October...
Bye bye

Micky
6th Sep 2011, 08:55
Hello everybody just some info's for people who want to join Cityline...

Hello everyone,

I got a letter from Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt that there is no registration in the traffic register, what does it mean exactly? And do I have to send the letter to LH or just bring it along at the screening?

Thx!

That is a legal requirement in Germany...Just Put a copy with your application...
In Germany, you get points for Traffic violations, if you have more than 18 points you loose your driving license. Having more then 9 points (I think...) makes you potentially unstable and unable to hold an ATPL!!! So stop speeding:E...

Anyone know if city line would waive the language requirement. I have a PIC type rating with 6000 hours on the CRJ. I have Germany work permit, U.S. passport and JAA ATPL conversion.

Sorry no chance....You will have to start as First officer and you will have to complete the CRJ Type Rating again...:ugh:
And if you do not fulfill the requirements the Personal Vertretung will never sign your contract. Just the way things are done here...

Can someone confirm there are no abnormals during the sim check for ready-entries (non-type rated)?

For Cityline the sim check 5 years ago, and I am led to believe is still the same was Std departure, Repositioning, located where you, are fly to a fix (VOR) enter holding, fly a holding...Std ILS out of said VOR Go around...Std NDB with Landing...All Raw Data on the CRJ 700...Enjoy...
And beware even if you have difficulty maintaining Altitude or hdg or flying an ILS, NDB...they Just want to see that you know what you are doing and you won't kill yourself...Flying The CRJ is difficult especially if your just out if Flight school...The 200 has a roll rate of 180 deg/sec...so Go easy on the controls...
Some people have started on the EMB 190 as well and some on the good old AVRO...but she is leaving...so the majority will be for the CRJ...
If you wan't to join Lufthansa if you go for the 737...only FRA, there is no 737 based at MUC. Only 320...Or you go to Lufthansa on the EMB 190 and you will fly at Cityline on the EMB, with a Lufthansa Contract...best of both worlds...
And all contracts at Cityline are non Commutable....Lots of Hours and between 9-11 days off a month...expect 130h Flightduty and 60-80 Block hours on any Fleet. Average Leg time is round 1:25...But I have been clocking 170h Flightduty 80-95 Blockhours over the last 4 months, with around 9-15 nightstops per month.
But Flying is fun and your Collages are a great bunch...Work is interesting with around 85 destinations and night stops in 35 city's...Including some challenging airfields. (FLR, LCY, SJJ, INN)
There are some issues in Cityline, regarding FO Career possibility, do not expect a upgrade anytime soon...There have not been any upgrades for 4 years, we still have to many CPTs, people are leaving for 6 years to Condor, and the average age for CPTs is round 45...so there is nothing moving there.
The normal Cityline career is fly for cityline for 3-5 years then go to Lufthansa Cargo or Mainline.
But if you want a staple Employer with lots of flying around Europe this is just the place to be...and you earn a very (!) handsome salary. (Overtime is paid...) 105h Flightduty is the base...so Expect something around 25h pay extra that is just about 1/4 of your monthly salary (!)
For a base if you can get it go for MUC much more relaxed then FRA...Graet Countryside lots of things todo and by far the more prettier Town:8 but beware it is very expensive. Gets better if you move to the Countryside.

Hope this little Information Helps

Striker54
6th Sep 2011, 12:53
I would have loved to be based in Germany. Too bad I'm not an EU citizen nor do I speak German! haha!

A320dutchman
22nd Nov 2011, 21:38
Hey Micky,

You got your facts right :D I am a type rated A320 FO, and soon I'll have the FU Condor. Before the interview there's a "Wissentest", 50 questions. Any idee where to find the database?
Thanks anyhow.

Micky
28th Nov 2011, 20:14
Hey A320 Dutchman,
Sorry I have no Idea... Don't know anything about the Condortest. Anyway it has been 5 years since I took part, so my Information might not be up tp date.

Best of luck for your FU!!!

Jet Fuel Addict
30th Jan 2012, 09:07
Does anyone know if you can skip the DLR test if you have already passed one for a different (non-LH group) airline?

Thanks for the advice.

bjratchf
21st Aug 2013, 19:47
Could one as an american just get hired (with tons of type ratings and time), and go over and let them take care of the conversions, etc. (EU right-to-work stuff is just a paperwork thing right?).

Denti
22nd Aug 2013, 19:29
No, at least not at LH group (which includes cityline). You will have to sort out your right to work, license (which includes taking the 14 exams) and visa on your own. You need a work contract to get a permanent visum which is required to get a right to work. Since there are more than enough european citizens to fill open spots there isn't a chance in hell lufty will help in any way.

hvogt
22nd Aug 2013, 19:56
Not to mention you'd have to be fluent in German.

14th Sep 2013, 23:22
Hi Guys,

I have a German Mrs, I'm from Australia and I'm very keen to work in Germany in the next few years.

I am just about to finish my 737 command here in Australia and after I finish that will start on my EASA LICENSE.

Couple of questions:

1. What's this DLR test?
2. Is the European scene picking up abut more now? (Ie aviation and the euro economy?
3. Chances of a foreigner getting a job in Germany?
4. Chances of direct entry captain? (Happy to go back to FO if it meant a job in Europe!)

ANY knowledge would be really appreciated!!

Akrep
15th Sep 2013, 07:01
1: DLR is a aptitude , sensomotoric and knowledge ( ATPL , math, fysics) test used by all companies in the LH group for screening purposes.
the pass rate if you go unprepared is about 5% I've been told increasing by the amount of time you put into it preparing yourself. The tests are all done in German language no exception.

2: even Boeing, in there annual there is a pilot shortage comming articles, is adjusting there expected sales and growth down in Europe. KLM-AF, LH, IAG all are currently in a long term cost saving endevour. I think that says enough.

3:There are foreighners working in Europe so it is possible.
But dont bet they are eager to hire you when there are hundreds of their own who are currently unemployed.

4: not with LH, you begin as F/O. Other companies maybe but not sure.

Denti
15th Sep 2013, 10:03
Actually, fluent german is a requirement for nearly all german companies. Direct entry CPT is pretty much impossible, except probably sun express germany. Hiring is very slow though, with around 1500 to 2000 out of work CPL/ATPL holders in germany alone and a total of around 10.000 pilots employed in that country competition is stiff. Remember within the last year we saw quite a few companies go out of business, another one is closing next month.

No company officially admits that they do take age into consideration, however chances to get into all lufthansa companies above 28 to 30 are slim to none, official reason will always be something else than age, but it certainly plays a role. Air Berlin always liked to get older and more experienced pilots, but since they started their own cadet program those will be the first to be hired, currently hiring starts again with the last few flight school courses that didn't get a job after their linetraining but will probably offer a few positions beyond that, with over 4000 pilots in the hold pool there are enough to choose from though.

Foreign pilots are not uncommon, mostly european but quite a few from other regions as well do work in german companies.

Piloto2011
16th Sep 2013, 00:18
22k,

Here's what I would do: If you are PIC experienced and current on the 73 why don't you apply to RYR, they are always looking for skippers. Once in get a Germany base. Now this will serve you two purposes, you can start putting in your logbook hours flown in Europe while also learning the language. Trust me the latter ain't an easy one... Both will set you up nicely for a later application with LH.

As denti has pointed it out quite rightly there is a large number of people out of work right now and surely many looking to jump ship also but you would have a job and could just patiently wait for LH to start recruiting experienced people.

The market will open up at some point. My guess is in two years at the very latest. However, be prepared to do many years on right before moving left with any of their carriers.

It is true legacies in Europe do not expect significant growth but I am yet to see airlines forecasting accurately the number of people needed. Things can change rather quickly sometimes. And when it does be there, in the country, ready to go.

I am just remembering also LH were recently looking for people for their cargo ops. Do not know though if hiring is still ongoing.

Good luck to you.

17th Sep 2013, 00:12
Thanks for the info guys,

Piloto, have you got any info on the likelihood of securing Sherman base? I see the wages and conditions for RYRpilots but couldn't see anything re bases? I would be trying to get to Köln or Hamburg....

Also, someone else mentioned age? I'm nearly 34 now and just hitting the left seat... Am I too old to head over u think?

The Mrs is the German, I'm coming over to live there with her, I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to make it!!

Thanks all for your info, much appreciated.