PDA

View Full Version : JAR UK SEP revalidation...

blackbeast
7th Oct 2010, 11:01
Hello...

I have a JAR UK licence and I live in switzerland, I d'like to know what's I need to do for my SEP revalidation after flown minimum 12 hours...and flown 1 hours with an FI :

In switzerland the pilot with swiss licence need to complet a Form each 2 years signed by :
one airport and the FI, after that you need to send the forms at the authorities and after that you received a new paper to put in your licence...

but if I understand well the Lasors 2008 F-11, only a sign in the licence by the FI is enough for CAA...

can you confirm that...

thank you very much

Thatsthewaytodoit
7th Oct 2010, 12:01
The Ratings Page of your licence needs to be signed by and examiner, not an FI, you also need to complete and sign a CAA Form SRG 1119.
Just an administrative exercise provided the rating has not expired.
There should be no charge, many on here would be prepared to do it for you if necessary.

TTWTDI

blackbeast
8th Oct 2010, 07:16
hi thanks for your answere Thatsthewaytodoit

but what is an examiner exactly ? can i find it here in switzerland a JAR examiner, if not may be i will doing a conversion in Swiss JAR licence, if it's more easy ?

what do you think

LH2
8th Oct 2010, 11:45
can i find it here in switzerland a JAR examiner

Course you can. Ask at your local flying club, or alternatively go to Annemasse (seeing as you appear to be in GVA) and ask around in the restaurant / hangars.

blackbeast
9th Oct 2010, 10:20
my friend is
CRI/A JAR is it enough... thanks

BackPacker
9th Oct 2010, 11:28
can i find it here in switzerland a JAR examiner

The one thing you need to remember when using a non-UK JAR examiner for a UK JAR revalidation is that that examiner will not be known to the UK CAA.

I don't know if it's an absolute requirement, but at the very least it's a good idea to make a copy of the examiners license, which should clearly show the classes he's rated for plus his Swiss registration number, and send that copy along with the other paperwork.

If your friend is a class rating *examiner* (CRE) for the appropriate class (SEP probably) then he's able to sign for your revalidation. A class rating *instructor* (CRI) would not be enough.

blackbeast
9th Oct 2010, 12:17
In fact in the Lasors page F11 is write :

For Revalidation by Proficiency check, you need a FE or CRE

but for revalidation by Flying experience you need only a FI or CRI and of course 12 hours...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20F%20-%20TYPE%20AND%20CLASS%20RATING%20(AEROPLANES%20AND%20HELICOP TERS).pdf

do you understand like me...

thnak you

BackPacker
9th Oct 2010, 12:40
It's good that you have started reading LASORS because that's the definitive source of information. (Well, almost, since LASORS also contains some good advice that's nevertheless not based on any legal text.) But you should not read it selectively, but the whole relevant section.

The bit that you missed is at the start of para F1.4 (page F10), which says:
A SEP (Land) and/or TMG class rating can be revalidated
by flying experience by producing logbook evidence to
an appropriately authorised JAR-FCL Examiner, before
the rating expiry date has passed, of the following flying
experience completed within the 12 months preceding the
rating expiry date.
And then follows the text you refer to (page F11) about the 12 hours flight time, 6 PIC hours, one hour with an FI and so forth.

So you need to present the evidence of your experience, including the signature of the FI in your logbook, to an *examiner*, who will then review the paperwork, sign the relevant forms and shake your hand to congratulate you. This can be sorted in less than five minutes and is usually done for free, or for a very modest fee.

At my club we typically leave all relevant stuff (original logbook, original license, paperwork, fee) at the front desk and the resident examiner will go through it all when he's around. You then pick up everything, including the signed paperwork, when convenient some days later. Saves you from having to set up an appointment.

blackbeast
9th Oct 2010, 14:16
you are right i miss that point...in fact i think i will transfert my JAR UK to JAR Swiss...like this it will be more easy for all administartion task...

what do you think

BackPacker
9th Oct 2010, 16:52
I don't know. If you live in Switzerland you have every right to do such a transfer, but it will cost you money (admin fees - somewhere between 150 and 200 euros most likely). If you think it'll make it easier dealing with the authorities, then by all means go ahead.

However, it won't help you with the issue you presented here. If JAR-FCL is implemented in Switzerland then you're still going to need a signature from an examiner unless they've got some weird exception going.

And there may be other reasons to switch or not to switch, since JAR-FCL is not the law, but a proposal on how the laws of the various member countries should be implemented. Not every country does a 100% straight transcript of JAR-FCL into law. As an example, consider the UK which does not allow holders of a UK-issued "JAR-FCL" PPL to fly "VFR on top" unless they either hold an IR or IMC rating. While the JAR-FCL regulations themselves do not have such a provision.

There may also be issues in combination with the medical. For example, if you get a German class 2 medical, you can fly on it in combination with a German "JAR-FCL" PPL, but not in combination with a UK "JAR-FCL" PPL.

Those are not major things, but once you start looking at the details you'll find JAR-FCL is not implemented equally across all JAA member states. Depending on your exact situation that may be an advantage, or it may not be.

And there's another angle that you might need to consider. Within the EU, EASA is about to take over Flight Crew Licensing from the national aeronatical administrators. So instead of JAR-FCL proposals that have to be enacted into local law by the NAAs, you now have a department that simply makes EU-wide rules. But since Switzerland is not part of the EU, the Swiss will still hold onto their local laws, based on JAR-FCL. And JAR-FCL and EASA might eventually diverte. This could mean, for instance, that you cannot fly a Swiss-reg aircraft on an EASA license, or the other way around, unless some mutual agreement/validation is worked out. But that's one of the things that might fall through the cracks in such a massive shift.

I'm not an expert on Swiss aviation law, far from it. And I don't intend to become one. But I do think this is another issue that you need to investigate further and take into consideration if you decide to switch from a UK issued to a Swiss-issued JAR-FCL compliant PPL.