PDA

View Full Version : David Corbett

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2010, 10:46
I just received this email from the CAA:

It is with much sadness that I share with you the news that David
Corbett passed away early yesterday morning after a short illness.
David was a founding member of the Flying Farmers Association, which he
has represented at GACC for many years, and has championed the cause of
general aviation in many ways including his work with the PFA Executive
Committee until around the time it became the LAA, the GASCo Board and
the GAAC.

David was a gentleman in every sense of the word, and always a delight
to deal with. Pilots were always sure of a welcome at Shobdon Airfield
which his family's company owned, and David was often seen flying into
GA events in his much loved Europa aeroplane. We are sure his loss will
be felt acutely throughout the GA community.

I am sure you will join me in offering our heartfelt condolences to
David's family and friends.

I understand that David was recently diagnosed with Leukemia.

He's been a fixture of the little aeroplane community for a great many years - indeed I can claim to have done my first solo on an Spectrum - which was built by one of his family firms: Ultraflight being a division of Corbett farms. Always somebody who put considerable effort into supporting light aviation in the UK, whether through the Flying Farmers Association, building microlights in the 1980s and 1990s, effective presence on numerous of the committees than exist to protect and support light aviation, and of course his own role within the management of Shobden airfield.

A very great loss to recreational flying in Britain.

G

davidjohnstone
7th Oct 2010, 16:57
David will be greatly missed by all who knew him in the world of GA, he was always surprising those of us who knew him by just who he knew.

Shobdon airfield was his home from home, in fact all he had to do was stand at the front door of his home Ox House & he could see the runway

Very little escaped his eye & he would be down to see what was going on.

A classic example was on Saturday 18th September 2010, David spotted that four Shobdon aircraft were practising flying in close association. Down he came & wanted to know what we were upto. It turned out that a Member of the Shobdon LAA Strut was getting married in the afternoon & we were going to do a fly past. What fun he said I'm joining you. So at 16:00 hours five aircraft flew past the church with "duc" in the tail end charlie spot.

On landing he said "What Fun" little did we know that was to be his last flight.

Sir George Cayley
7th Oct 2010, 20:21
I hope he's enjoying his new 'wings'. Shobdon will not be the same.

Sir George Cayley

Turnip Pilot
8th Jul 2011, 11:25
David was one of the founding members of the Flying Farmers Association. His contribution as Treasurer for over thirty years cannot easily be understated. His presence, dynamic personality and clear thinking mind were a blessing to all who came into contact with him. Never one to shirk a difficult problem he would calmly and carefully debate a topic in cold logical terms until his point of view was clearly understood by all.
His courage in flying all over Europe, with and without his long suffering but always cheerful wife Penny was outstanding.
David will be missed by many people in many places.
RB