PDA

View Full Version : HF Radio ICOM 703 Portable Installation

Spanner748
6th Oct 2010, 03:43
Request assistance to install ICOM 703 Portable HF Radio in Cessna Grand Caravan208B. Anyone has previous experience?

Whopity
6th Oct 2010, 22:11
The radio is not certified for aeronautical use!

A and C
7th Oct 2010, 07:06
Is this for a ferry flight? If so I would recomend putting a blank in one of the windows with a bulkhead fitting for the antenna cable.

The antenna can be mounted from the bukhead fitting at the window to a fitting that fits to the wingtip fairing screws and then to the fin fairing screws this should be long enough.

Tie the radio down any place that works for you and get the power from the cigar lighter socket.

In the days before all airliners had INS or GPS Boeing used thia sort of rig for ferry flights, the window blank also had a LORAN antenna, the HF & LORAN units were both mounted in a case so that the crew could take it as baggage when they returned to the USA, the whole set up was powerd from one of the vacuum cleaner sockets in the front galley and an extra crew member operated the kit from the passenger cabin.

Lurcherman
8th Oct 2010, 23:33
PM me. I am replacing my old rig. ICOM tranceiver 716 or 706, voltage reg and ICOM Auto tuner AH-4. Aerial either trailing or wing tip to tail. 23-28ft seems to be critical length for Y aerial. Longer the better for trailing. Got to have good earths.

Whopity
9th Oct 2010, 07:12
Tie the radio down any place that works for you and get the power from the cigar lighter socket.The radio should be wired directly to the battery or you will have RF everywhere, causing all sorts of interference. LDG Electronics make a series of auto tuners that are cheaper and more effective than the Icom Auto antenna tuners. The Icom 703/6 are prone to overheating, even on receive, and need good ventilation.

Spanner748
11th Oct 2010, 03:35
Seeking URGENT help to install ICOM 706 in Grand Caravan 208B. Recommendations are appreciated.

debiassi
11th Oct 2010, 11:45
If you connect to the aircraft power supply or fix a temporary antenna to the airframe, then a 337 is needed but you probably already know this. Of course getting a 337 for such a mod is a massive headache. A bobbin aerial and a converted 12v supply is a way around it if you can solve that problem. Gander now frown heavilly and violate as the old excuse of my HF isnt working has long since wore thin and the icelandic CAA regularly check aircraft which do communicate via HF so there is strong communication between Gander and the Icelandic CAA in policing this area.

forget
11th Oct 2010, 11:55
Seeking URGENT help to install ICOM 706 in Grand Caravan 208B. Recommendations are appreciated.

What do you need the HF for, is it a one-off ferry flight or a permanent fit? If it's a ferry flight it's likely that a ferry company will rent you a complete kit.

So - what's it for?

Spanner748
17th Oct 2010, 16:10
This HF for a permanent fit on the aircraft.

Ringway Flyer
17th Oct 2010, 18:56
Some things to bear in mind... neither radio will, unless modifed, operate outside the amateur bands. The 703 draws much less current on both Tx and Rx than the 706. The 703 has a very good ATU built in.

I run my 703 on a separate 12 sealed LA battery. This keeps the supply voltage down to about 12.5 - 12.9 and in doesn't seem to get mad hot like the 706 does. And it avoids any nasty spikes from the aircraft electrical system getting in....

RF (G7OAI)

Spanner748
22nd Oct 2010, 15:41
Thanks much for the information. I am still searching for an assistance in the USA to install it in C208B Grand Caravan.

ferrydude
22nd Oct 2010, 16:48
Good luck obtaining approval as a permanent install under FAA:ok:

debiassi
4th Nov 2010, 23:25
Im actually getting decent results now using the below self contained unit using a T Antenna wing tip tail and baggage compartment and direct to battery connection

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq347/debiassi/100_1358.jpg

Keef
4th Nov 2010, 23:52
I understand that the FCC and FAA are much more accommodating to amateur radio installations in aircraft than the CAA/Ofcom. I tried, once, many years ago with the CAA and decided the unequal struggle wasn't worth it.

As for fitting in an aircraft: a good auto-ATU is essential, as is a well-executed antenna and "earth" system. I've fixed some bodged installations (and got them working), but not done the initial fit.

I would talk to a ferry company - they've usually had experience of this.

Keef
G3OIT