PDA

View Full Version : Bose A20 mike not as good as the X mike?

IO540
5th Oct 2010, 09:35
I have just got the A20. The noise reduction is very much better than the X - the plane sounds like a turboprop now http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Comfort-wise it is perhaps a slight improvement. I do like the way the earcups do not meet up when the headset is stowed away; this used to damage the old ones through constant compression.

But the mike appears to be a lot worse. I have tried adjusting (bending) it carefully so it is close to my mouth and this helps a bit. But from own feedback and also from ATC feedback, comparing them in sequence, the X is clearer and has a higher output.

I wonder if perhaps Bose are up to their old trick of shipping duff mikes. I got four X headsets around 2002-2003. There was nothing to compare them with, but I did not like having to have the mike almost in one's mouth... Then about 2006 I tried a brand new X which a friend had, and I was amazed how much better the mike was. This was confirmed by trying one at an exhibition stand. Then I discovered that Bose shipped thousands of low-output mikes in the early 2000s; according to a Bose dealer / repair shop this was widely known and the output is about 1/2 of what it should be. I took my four headsets to the shop and they measured the mikes in front of me on a tester; all four were the duff type. I then discovered that Bose ran a very long free exchange period for these mikes, but only in the USA; here in the UK they washed their hands of them after ~ 2 years. So I paid 4 x $200 to "upgrade" the mikes. I sold the old mikes on U.S. Ebay; presumably some American pilot was able to swap them under the Bose US-only warranty.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the mike quality of the A20 v. the X?

The intercom is a PS 7000 which should be a good one.

Cows getting bigger
5th Oct 2010, 10:28
Hi IO540, I have had no problems with my A20. However, there is a snippet of info here (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60743&highlight=bose).

IO540
5th Oct 2010, 11:22
Many thanks for that...

I will pop down to Headset Services and get it checked out.

The mike itself may be the same but (without looking closely) I can't say whether the mike+cable assembly can be interchanged. I doubt it can be.

youngskywalker
5th Oct 2010, 12:06
IO540, are you selling any of your old x headsets? I may know a buyer!

IO540
5th Oct 2010, 12:29
Against the A20 I got a $400 trade-in on one old Bose X, which I thought was fair value. This was from a firm in the USA, JA Aviation.

I won't be selling any other X headsets, because they are still the best and are fine for passengers.

CanAmdelta1
6th Oct 2010, 01:46
Hello IO540,

I have had no problems with my A20. I am really pleased so far.

I flew today and had longer than usual chatter with ATC due to chages in requested departure altitudes and again over problems with Xpondr going U/S on me before exiting the Zone (Rental A/C). No complaints from either tower or ground on readability.
I fly out of there 1-3 times a week so Im sure I would be quickly advised of a headset problem by ATC.

IO540
9th Oct 2010, 20:30
Update:

I think the A20 is fine after all.

I took it to Headset Services and they said the mike has the same output level as the current X model, so there is no sensitivity issue as such.

It appears that the mike just needed very a careful position adjustment. Now it is fine.

BTW, the shop told me they have no parts and cannot do any servicing. If there is any issue, Bose UK would send out a new headset.

It really is an excellent headset which wipes everything else off the floor in noise reduction.

A pity that no UK shop (that I know of) is offering the $400 trade-in for an old X headset. There are several such offers but they are all in the USA, so you end up paying duty and VAT on the headset afterwards.

7AC
10th Oct 2010, 11:41
IO 540,
could you tell me where I can get the $400 trade-in please?

IO540
10th Oct 2010, 12:20
Zis place

| JA Air Center (http://jaair.com/)

Ask for Mike Bargman.