PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Spain (or other parts of Europe for that matter)

pilotmike327
5th Oct 2010, 04:09
Hey everyone.
My name's Mike and I am really glad I found this website. There seems to be a lot of good information in this forum and will deff. spend some time looking around but before I do I just wanted to say a little about my self and what I want to do.

I'm currently a U.S. citizen studying in Florida. My goal is to move to Europe (preff Spain) and pursue a career in aviation. My mother is a Spaniard and I have family there. From what I've researched I only have to live there for 2 years and they'll give me citizenship. I'm getting a degree in Aviation Management with both the Air Traffic Control and Flight Dispatcher Options and finishing up my Private Pilot's License. With the Flight Dispatcher option, I would be a certified FAA flight dispatcher and with the Air Traffic Control option, I would be approved to continue training in Oklahoma as an Air Traffic Controller.

Anyone know what the best way to get a head start while I finish up my studies here? I really want to look into Air Traffic Control in Spain. If anyone has any tips or pointers, please let me know.

Also, if there's anything I can help you with in terms of information about aviation here in the States, let me know and I'll try my best to help you out.

Looking forward to being active on this forum,
Cheers.

INNflight
5th Oct 2010, 06:45
Somebody talking good, solid English in Spanish ATC would most certainly be a great addition :E

Before the thread drifts... You are saying you have family there, but I assume you do not hold a Spanish passport? For any work you will either have to apply for a work visa (not too likely to get as there's plenty of Spanish pilots / ATCOs), or already have the right to live & work there, i.e. a passport.

Other than that it's just about as easy as for a European to get a work permit for the US being a pilot. Sorry I'm not of much help here.

mokilu
6th Oct 2010, 09:47
Have a look here: Servicios y Estudios para la Navegación Aérea y la Seguridad Aeronáutica S.A. (http://www.senasa.es/portada.aspx?lang=es-ES&IDPagina=14)

You will need at least 45.000 €

pilotmike327
9th Oct 2010, 01:06
thanks for the link...i've been looking at it and i'm gonna try emailing them and seeing if there's a quicker course for FAA certified ATC controllers.

zondaracer
9th Oct 2010, 14:39
Won't getting a Spanish citizenship mean giving up your US citizenship in this case? Also, how do yo plan on being able to move to Spain for those initial two years? Just curious

Denti
9th Oct 2010, 14:57
Not quite spain but i do know the german ATCSP (DFS) looks for ready entry ATCOs, however you have to already hold an ATC license to be eligible, they will help with work permit as far as i know. Some FAA ATCOs already made the jump and work over here now.

johnnyDB
10th Oct 2010, 08:41
you didn't mention wether you speak spanish or not, maybe i missed it.
It will be a must!

pilotmike327
10th Oct 2010, 15:28
I talked to my friend who worked at the Spanish embassy here in Miami and told me I don't have to give up my U.S . citizenship. In fact, my roommate currently holds both a Spanish and American passport. I'm going on Monday to pick up the application papers and verify. IF, for any reason, I have to move to Spain for two years, I have grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins over there. My grandparents would love it for me to stay with them so Room & Board wouldn't be a problem.

I would really consider looking into the German ATCSP but I don't speak German. And yes, I do speak Spanish, not 100% fluently but I speak it with my family and living in Miami, you NEED to know Spanish. I'll probably take a few grammer courses just to polish up.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

BoeingDreamer
10th Oct 2010, 18:22
You would not need to give up your US citizenship that is correct, however your mother would have to have a current Spanish citizenship, not sure if she has to live in Spain at the moment. You would have to apply on basis of your mother's citizenship, however there might be a little problem because she is not longer living in Spain, and I would think would have to give up her Spanish citizenship to get US citizenship. However to end all your questions, contact the Spanish consulate, and ask them what they tell you. To be honest it is not very easy to move between US and Europe, even though they are both largely first world countries/states.

I believe it is a process that if approved will take 1 - 2 years, if mother only US citizen now, she would have to apply first to become Spanish again, and after that you would be able to apply, 2 to 4 years. But to be fair to most PPRUNE members, they would not know to much about this, Spanish consulate would be the best step first.
By the way if you get told you must give up one of your citizenships, think long and hard, Spanish wages are probably some of the worst in Europe.

Piripi
11th Oct 2010, 05:16
I see you have 3 very clear options and a one very black.

-go for Spanish ATC, when the "convocatorias" come out, they are very well paid. When?? who knows...it's Spain afterall. And I mean real ATC not the new small airport controllers.

-apply to US ATC. Not bad, you sleep home every night. Pay just got better.

-Fly in the US. Looks like its picking up again.

But forget about flying in Spain, the market is rotten. You will have to pay for your rating and it's pretty much impossible to land a job.

Good luck either way.

;)

zondaracer
12th Oct 2010, 21:18
I live in Spain and currently there is 20% unemployment. Also, there is a long thread on Spanish ATC in another section of this forum and I recommend you check it out. Despite this and the fact that I don't work and that I live with my mother in law, I love it here and don't plan on going back to the US anytime soon!

pilotmike327
17th Oct 2010, 16:41
Thanks for all the replies guys.

If I'm able to late-register for my Spanish birth certificate, then that will be the easiest route for citizenship for me. We'll see what happens with that.

In terms of employment:

-Pilot: A job in this field seems like a long shot seeing as how I still need all the other licenses and the number of opportunities are small.

-ATC: At least within Spain, looks like being an FAA ATC doesn't give you enough of an edge to land a job. EUROCONTROL might be a possibility but that's not what I really want to do.

-Airlines: Working for the airlines in terms of operations seems like my best bet to work in the aviation industry. I would love to do something equivalent to a dispatcher here in the States.

-Airport: Anyone know anything about Airport Management jobs?

zondaracer
19th Oct 2010, 17:15
The Airports in Spain are run by AENA. You can see their website about hiring
Aena Empleo - Bases (http://empleo.aena.es/empleo/PFSrv?accion=bases&codigo=20060215)

Where in Spain did you want to live?

pilotmike327
20th Oct 2010, 01:36
I have family in Madrid. In fact, my grandparents have an extra room that they don't use where I can stay with them as long as I want. Seems like there's better chance of employment in the bigger cities also. Thanks for the AENA Empleo link btw.

zondaracer
20th Oct 2010, 15:25
No problem on the link.

ricoace
1st Feb 2011, 18:09
If you were born in Spain to a Spanish mother as I was then you have the right to Apply for Citizenship. My application has been in over a year so dont underestimate the Spanish bueracracy...find a Spanish consulate and start the ball rolling.

Good luck

sizelove1
9th Nov 2012, 09:36
Does anyone know of any Americans working in Europe as an Air Traffic Controller?

I would like to move to Europe and work as an Air Traffic Controller, 12 years experience as a Tower ATC, last location was Anchorage International Airport.

mikelirec
12th Nov 2012, 16:12
FerroNATS | NATS (http://www.nats.co.uk/careers/vacancies/ferronats-recruitment/)

Try sending this guys your CV, they're desperately looking for experienced controllers to fill up the 13 towers they bought a few months ago.

Good luck!