PDA

View Full Version : U.S.A. ATC & squawking 7700

Northbeach
5th Oct 2010, 01:59
Over the years I have had to declare several emergencies for things like bird strike damage return for landing over the maximum certified landing weight and flap/slat that would not deploy correctly and serveral others.

The guidance I am now getting from my employer is that whenever I “declare” an emergency with ATC I must also squawk 7700. Fine I can do that…………they are insisting we dial the 7700 as well.

I am curious from ATC’s perspective what happens when the pilot places 7700 in the transponder as well as using the words: “I am declaring an emergency”. Is my squawking 7700 going to impact your workload negatively?

Thanks in advance.

Northbeach

Some Old Guy
5th Oct 2010, 02:21
In the center environment, it would not change our workload or how the flight is handled. 7700 would just make the letters "EMRG" flash where your ground speed is normally displayed in the data block on my scope. As long as you are in good radio contact, I don't think code change is really needed as I already know your status.

In most cases when an aircraft is handed off from the center to the approach control facility, the handoff causes computer/ target tracking issues if the A/C is on a code other than assigned. I never tried to hand off an A/C squawking 7700 to approach so I can't speak from experience, but I suspect the nondiscrete code would increase the workload as a manual handoff would be needed. Personally I would just as soon have you stay on your assigned discrete code.

In 25 years of working traffic with numerous emergencies, I think the only for real 7700 squawk I have seen was military in a MOA that was not actually talking to center at the time, but was on a seperate frequency for the A/C in the MOA to communicate amongst themselves.

Here's to hoping you don't ever need to declare another emergency.

Cheers
Some old center guy

Northbeach
5th Oct 2010, 02:53
Some Old Guy,

I am 100% with you, I would much rather stay on the assigned discrete code, but this change is being driven by the company through the training department. Since the airline has their name painted on the side of the jet and they sign the paychecks I will comply with their policy unless I know it to be unsafe (that is not the case here).

I suspect somebody in the legal department is driving this change following some incident. I guess I could ask the question of the company, but after a few decades I don’t bother any more as you never get the complete story.

Thank you for your years of service!

Respectfully,

Northbeach

veloo maniam
5th Oct 2010, 03:34
It will also attract the Ctlers attention in adjacent Centres/Approach that an emergency acft is on the way. Ctlers in adjacent Centres/Approach will be alert and keep their traffic out of the way for an uninterrupted descent. These adjacent Centres could be in the neighboring FIR.eg Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand/Indonesia. It is our prayer that no one declares MAYDAY while at work and this same prayer goes for you too Northbeach.:)

CanadaKid
5th Oct 2010, 06:11
I was told years ago that squawking 7700, for example, during an emergency descent warns the low level controllers (that probably have your tag filtered from their displays) that you're plummeting down through their airspace. An early change in squawk code gives them more warning?

Cheers, CK

Lookatthesky
5th Oct 2010, 08:57
As long as you are in good radio contact, I don't think code change is really needed as I already know your status

But by selecting 7700, every controller sitting in front of a radar can instantly see that your a/c has a problem and can keep theirs out of the way - this is especially important if the a/c needs to descend quickly.

Lon More
5th Oct 2010, 13:05
Canada Kid is correct. In a Centre, with horizontal sector splits becoming more common, it is standard to filter out irrelevant code blocks. Depending how the system is set up you may still have Callsign-code correlation retained, although obviously planned FL will be wrong, or possibly just code and mode C info. It is possible to retain correlation in some systems whenever one of the 3 emergency codes is selected. Selecting the appropriate code gives subjacent sectors a bit more time to start getting things out of the way.

Also squawking A7700 will probably set off an alarm at the Supervisor's desk ensuring that the controller will quickly have plenty of help (not to mention an audience of rubberneckers)

Some Old Guy
5th Oct 2010, 13:22
quote:
But by selecting 7700, every controller sitting in front of a radar can instantly see that your a/c has a problem and can keep theirs out of the way - this is especially important if the a/c needs to descend quickly

(how do I make a quote show up in the blue box?)

Excellent point, Lookatthesky, My first task when the emergency involves a descent is to look at the airspace below mine and see if I need to miss any other A/C or if they need to move anybody. Having the A/C squawk 7700 would be helpful at that time.

aterpster
5th Oct 2010, 14:30
Northbeach:

I am curious from ATC’s perspective what happens when the pilot places 7700 in the transponder as well as using the words: “I am declaring an emergency”. Is my squawking 7700 going to impact your workload negatively?

My take is that when an employer sets such a policy, the employees follow it. If a pilot group feels strongly that the policy is wrong, then their safety committee should deal with the issue in an appropriate manner.

jackieofalltrades
5th Oct 2010, 15:26
I have to agree with Lon Moore and Canadakid here. At the centre where I work in the UK when someone enters 7700 the radar keeps the callsign, but flashes SOS under the label. This also automatically overides any filters all controllers may have set.

For me, it's an instant notification that a controller in an adjacent sector is dealing with an emergency, and therefore a silent indication for me to do whatever I can with my traffic to minimise his/her workload. ie keeping aircraft on my frequency longer, not phoning for relatively mundance co-ordination etc.

quote:
(how do I make a quote show up in the blue box?)

When you type your reply on the second line of symbols, 3rd from the right is a yellow box, with black outline that looks a little like a speach bubble. Click this and you'll get QUOTE /QUOTE in square brackets []. Enter the line you wish to quote through cut & paste or re-typing and it will appear in the blue box in your reply once posted.

BrATCO
5th Oct 2010, 16:03
Same as Lon Moore, Canadakid, jackieofalltrades, and all the others.

Except : EMRG appears above the label.

Is my squawking 7700 going to impact your workload negatively?
Indeed, it will impact the procedures. The workload is already taken in account in the sector's/controller's capacity. So this can't be "negatively".

Northbeach
6th Oct 2010, 03:53
My take is that when an employer sets such a policy, the employees follow it. If a pilot group feels strongly that the policy is wrong, then their safety committee should deal with the issue in an appropriate manner.

No it is just me, I am not representing the pilot group nor do I necessarily "feel strongly" about the new policy. After all it is just another "new policy" and we know that our corporate superiors frequently mandate changes.

I asked the question here on the ATC forum because you folks are the best resource I have on things relating to aviation and ATC. I was curious as to what happened to your workload when I inserted 7700 in the transponder. It sounds like it automatically lets other controllers know that I am an emergency aircraft and they can begin developing contingency plans with their own traffic regarding my position. The controller I am working with knows I have "declared the emergency", others who may be soon impacted do not.

In reading your collective responses it appears my squaking 7700 does not adversely increase the workload for the controller currently working my flight. That is good information, thank you again for the enlightenment.

Respectfully,

Northbeach