PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild Argus - Looking for some info

thehighflyer
4th Oct 2010, 11:10
I am about to buy a share in a Fairchild UC-61K Argus and was wondering whether anyone could provide some information on the intricacies of operating one?

She has the the inverted straight 6 engine and has been flying for many years so (hopefully) no immediate problems!

The curent engineer is retiring (hence sale) and I would like to find another who might have some experience of the type.

Anyway, any help is much appreciated!

Lister Noble
4th Oct 2010, 11:23
One flew out of Felthorpe,Norwich until the fire which is believed to have been arson, a few years ago, in which the hangar,clubhouse and nine aircraft including Chipmunk,Tiger Moth,Argus,Pitts and several other interesting craft were totally destroyed.
You may get some help there.Try Alan Fines,I'll PM you the number.
Lister

Sir George Cayley
4th Oct 2010, 20:35
I've owned similar so can advise on one aspect. Have a huge pile of cash ready - you might need it.

Trouble is folks don't realise that all these Antique and Classic a/c are very similar.

Steel tube frame with wooden bits to give shape
Fabric cover with tin engine cowling
Wood/metal wings with fabric covering
Scott tailwheel
Cleveland brakes
and a load of 1930s 40' or 50' American automotive part thrown in for good luck.

There, I've just described Fairchilds, Fleets, Norsemen, Pipers, Stinsons and loads more types.
But wheel your pride & into a repair shop and listen to the teeth sucking and tutting you'll get.

It's significant that the sale is forced by the retirement of the person who knows all about it. Don't get me wrong the Argus is a fine a/c (though personally I prefer the ones with a radial) but you'll be taking on a problem compared to a more 'run of the mill type'

Are you looking to do loads of flying or own a piece of history and maybe do less flying?

Then there's the insurance...........

Sir George Cayley

whirlwind
5th Oct 2010, 02:40
This was Alan's Argus before the fire (obviously)....

Pictures Past (http://www.felthorpe.net/Photos/Pages/Pictures_Past.html#2)

This was the scene after the fire (obviously)...

The 2003 Fire (http://www.felthorpe.net/Photos/Pages/The_2003_Fire.html#4)

Steady on Sir George! Owning vintagery can be great fun and is a personal choice. I fly nearly 100 hrs p.a. in my '36 vintagent! :) Highflyer, go for it, I say (er...but do the research first) (which you're doing [obviously])

ps, when you get it, bring it into Felthorpe for us to look at...

Lister Noble
5th Oct 2010, 09:20
It really makes me sick to see those pictures.
It's all looking a lot better now with a good flying friendly landlord,electricity and water.
I used to fly a lot with Alan in the Moth and Chipmunk,he is an absolute gentleman.
Lister:)

chimbu warrior
5th Oct 2010, 09:35
High Flyer, check your PM.

LowNSlow
6th Oct 2010, 02:48
I tried to get a group together on one of these a few moons ago. My research found the following:

1. Eye watering oil consumption, normal range is anything from 1-3 litres/hour
2. The undercarriage is not as strong as it looks and there is at least one Argus in the UK that, even after having it's wheels wiped off, didn't have the mod included when it was rebuilt. (It was reviewed in Pilot 5-6 years ago)
3. No faster in the cruise than an Auster

Good luck they are lovely aircraft.

If you like the looks you could also go for the mini-Argus, the Auster Autocar, which, with a Gipsy engine, has all the performance and a reasonable spares supply. Not quite so much room inside though!!