PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Florida (Some very basic Questions)

JGoodbody
2nd Oct 2010, 10:11
I am going to do some flying in America next week and have some very basic questions that I'd like to ask so I don't make a fool of myself when I get over there. I know they are beyond basic but we all start somewhere! Ill be renting an aircraft & doing a BFR already have a European PPL.

1) At the FSDO is there a certain dress code or would t-shirt & shorts suffice?
2) What should I bring to the FBO I am renting from for the BFR. Logbook, PPL, Medical, Proof of Insurance, Sectionals? Airport Directory? Headset Kneepad?? Fuel drainer?? Or what is the norm?

BackPacker
2nd Oct 2010, 11:54
1) At the FSDO is there a certain dress code or would t-shirt & shorts suffice?

As long as your genitals are somewhat covered, you should be fine.:cool:

(Remember this is Florida. Anything more than shorts, t-shirt and trainers will soon have you sweating like a pig.)

2) What should I bring to the FBO I am renting from for the BFR. Logbook, PPL, Medical, Proof of Insurance, Sectionals? Airport Directory? Headset Kneepad?? Fuel drainer?? Or what is the norm?

The BFR will probably serve a dual purpose. Of course it's a requirement to make your FAA license current, but it's also a rental checkout. And remember that the BFR is not just an hour in the air (minimum) but also an hour groundschool (minimum).

You you'll want to bring everything you normally need to bring to make the flight (with you as PIC) legal: License, medical, picture ID. You also need the stuff you practically need to make the flight happen: Sectionals, AF/D, kneepad, watch/timer, protractor/ruler, pen, sunglasses, headset, fuel drainer, checklists. And you might need some stuff to "survive" the ground school element. An extract of the FAR/AIM for instance (although you should know the relevent bits from memory of course.) Maybe a copy of the POH in case you get quizzed on that. And you'll want to bring your logbook so that the FBO can get an idea of your flying experience. (Plus of course it's your logbook where the instructor will eventually sign you off as having completed the BFR.)

In short, just bring your flight bag with everything in it you normally need for a flight at your home base, plus the US-specific stuff like sectionals, AF/D, FAR/AIM and you can't go very wrong.

Pilot DAR
2nd Oct 2010, 12:02
I'll offer my thoughts, from America (though the Canadian end of the continent).

Though the people of the United States can be delightfully relaxed generally, I would suggest that you would like to be seen as being a person worthy of serious, professional attention. I would definately avoid wearing a T shirt and shorts - anywhere, while piloting a plane. Save that dress for when you own the plane.

Speaking of owning a plane... If you did, how seriously would you receive a pilot who turned up asking to fly it, without apperaing professional, organized and prepared?

Deloght in the apparently relaxed environment around the US FBO's, but don't be fooled, the fellow who just came back behind the counter from fuelling on the ramp, might own a half dozen of the aircraft out there. The young lady might be the Chief Flying Instructor.

I would want to appear professional and prepared all the time...

Enjoy the flying in Florida. Remind youself that it is a rather large area, and a lot of the south west half is not to be taken casually while over flying. It looks like you could set down lots of places, but swamp and aligators are abundant. The Keys are a very pretty flight, but few suitable forced landing areas.

I hope that helps,

JGoodbody
2nd Oct 2010, 13:52
Thanks for the information so far. Still not sure about dress code now! Bit of conflicting information!

Also, does anyone know of a good bag to store all your pilot supplies in that is compact and stylish enough?

mary meagher
2nd Oct 2010, 16:03
Canadian Dress code, particularly Ontario, would tend to be very proper.
If you look too proper in Florida, they will get suspicious! No kidding, thats how those 911 chaps presented themselves; clean shaven, shirt and tie, etc.

General Aviation District Office - don't worry, they are not interviewing you for a job. They just want to see all the paperwork in order. (And perhaps avoid dark glasses!) So be relaxed, and enjoy meeting them, they are airminded friendly guys. Share your plans and hopes, if they are not too busy. And it is possible to look smart in shorts, unless you are British and your legs are the colour of celery stalks......

jxc
2nd Oct 2010, 16:29
Ahh not the dreaded green legs again :E

mary meagher
3rd Oct 2010, 07:08
Thanks for that,SoCal Approach! Good to share the tip about phoning ahead for an appointment. No doubt my Florida experience is a few years out of date. But tell me, what is your information about those particular suspects and their personal appearance at the local GADO? I would be interested to know the details.

Aside from that, to return to our British friend who is planning to do some hours in the Sunshine State, JGoodbody, I hope you have planned to rent a car? Over there public transport hardly exists. If you do rent a car, very very good idea to NOT rent a convertible, it is more susceptible to robbery, and you will be carrying your very very valuable items, like your LOGBOOK!
In fact, it is a good idea to make a copy of your logbook and put it in a different safe place, I speak on both of these tips from horrible personal experience. As for being comfortable in your rental car, pay a little bit more and get a midrange, otherwise you will be intimidated by the Monster Lorries! O yes, air conditioning REALLY needs to work well.

And have you chosen your flying club and parted from your money? Just a question.....there are a lot of places to choose from over there, and with the local economy seriously tanked, they are bound to be competing for your trade.

Have fun! Florida is great, much better than California!

englishal
3rd Oct 2010, 09:31
At all US FBOs a qualified PPL is expected to turn up in black trousers, white shirt, sporting 3 silver stripes. And baseball caps are banned. (or perhaps I have it the wrong way around, that is only JAA FBOs???)...

When you go to the FSDO, be sure to carry a rucksack, have a long beared and keep repeating Insha'Allah over and over again as you walk in.

PS Florida is a s**thole, flat, sweaty, fat and full of rednecks. California is much much better ;)

mary meagher
3rd Oct 2010, 11:10
Oh no it isn't. For a multitude of reasons. Would you like me to go into detail why Florida is much much better than California?

(editorial note: you may wish to delete that superfluous e in your beard....)

Runway101
3rd Oct 2010, 11:11
Last time I flew in Florida I was wearing T-shirt and shorts or jeans, so did the CFI's and other PPL's I encountered.

A nice little place to visit is Cedar Key while you fly in Florida. The airport is a bit outside of town, but you just need to mention on the frequency that you need a ride and a nice lady will soon pick you up.

AirNav: KCDK - George T Lewis Airport (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK)

JGoodbody
3rd Oct 2010, 11:15
Thanks for the replies some have been more helpful than others! :p

I am still not too sure what to wear from what I gather I'll be fine in shorts & a vneck?

Also, about the bag. Still looking for a nice one. I currently have a AFE Flight bag which I find to be way to bulky and awkward. Would like a stylish, practical & cheap alternative! I don't asked for much!;)

I have a car booked and haven't actually paid the FBO yet but got one in my head. They seem to be very good based on reviews & my chat on the phone with them.

I'm leaving on Tuesday so need to get things sorted asap!

Booglebox
3rd Oct 2010, 14:14
When I was flying in Florida I wore button down collared shirts (sleeves rolled up) and jeans. Apart from looking like you're taking it seriously, it gives you a bit more time if you have an engine fire.....

mary meagher
3rd Oct 2010, 17:23
JGoodbody, very sensible to not yet have parted with the cash. When you turn up at the flying school/club, have a good look at the aircraft, if you see flat tyres, scruffy interiors, and oilstained cowlings, apologise and go elsewhere.

Do not be bamboozeled into paying for any special deals up front, pay each lesson as you fly it. You may not be pleased with the instructor, there may be other problems, like the company going bust with your money before your course is completed. These things do happen.

Florida is truly great. If you are flying anywhere near Orlando, pay a visit to Jack Brown's Seaplane base in Winter Haven, have a go! Take in a professional baseball game (the teams come South for the winter). Or a high school American Football game. Amazingly there is a professional ice hockey team in Tampa.

If you have time, Florida is entirely surrounded by warm water, good fishing, sailing in Tampa Bay, good surfing in the Atlantic Ocean on the East Coast (try New Smyrna beach), and small friendly sharks. Snorkeling on Key Largo is AMAZING. Swimming in a crystal spring is another unforgettable experience.

California doesn't come anywhere near it!

JGoodbody
3rd Oct 2010, 20:41
Thanks again for all the comments!

SoCal -Have my FAR-AIM and Guide to BFR on the way and will start looking over it as soon as I get it.

One more question, I am doing the interview in the Orlando FSDO near MCO and will be coming off a flight and therefore will have my backpack with me. Its just a normal 'school-bag' sized one. Will it be a problem me having it or not? I just remember a guy having an issue with having a bag in the US embassy before so don't want to leave anything to chance.

MikeNYC
3rd Oct 2010, 20:59
Just a note, FAR/AIM 2011 is now current so if you're going to pick up a copy, it may as well be the 2011 version! Here's a summary of the changes: http://www.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/pdfs/FAR-AIM_Change_Summary_2010_to_2011.pdf

Also, I was born and started to fly in Florida. I moved to California and flew there for a bit (before moving to NY where I am now). Personally, I prefer to fly in California. The scenery is much more diverse, as is the selection of places you can fly to in a few hours. As SoCal mentioned, you're not contending with daily thunderstorms... just springtime low level fog.

JGoodbody - the FSDO is not a "secure" federal building, so there aren't x-ray machines and bag checks to contend with. It's just an office. So, the type or size of bag you have with you isn't an issue.

mary meagher
3rd Oct 2010, 21:43
SoCalApp has just given you excellent advice in every particular, however do not be alarmed by his mention of the hurricane season. The forecast for Orlando from Monday 4th October through Sunday 10 October is quite benign, with highs 27 to 29c, low 17c, chance of precip. 0%.

No thunderstorms either. These are mostly confined to summertime and the inland areas,and can be avoided by flying along the shores. The only things it doesn't have are mountains.

Actually Florida IS surrounded by nice warm water; I was counting the Atlantic, the waters around the keys, the Gulf, and the lakes.

Just in case you ever have time off, and I hope you will, plenty to do in an hours drive. California is fun if you have lots of money and a fast aeroplane. But even the natives wouldn't go swimming in the Pacific Ocean north of Monterey, without a wetsuit.

Enjoy yourself!

airpolice
3rd Oct 2010, 22:07
Mary. The north end of Florida is actually not surrounded by any water, Georgia and Alabama were there the last time I was in Florida, and if they had moved, I'm sure I'd have heard about it.

Iceland is surrounded by water, as is Australia & Jamaica but the only US state surrounded by water is Hawaii.

mary meagher
4th Oct 2010, 07:01
Okay, okay, have it your way, what a bunch of pedants!

I accept that Florida is not an island, it is a peninsula. But you have to give way about the water temperatures in California, right? Why else did nobody ever escape from Alcatraz? Because San Francisco Bay is bloody freezing, that's why.

JGoodbody, on your return from the Sunshine State, do let us know how you got on?

englishal
4th Oct 2010, 08:07
Ha ha... ;) Florida...you get run down by old people in the supermarkets then shot by gangster wannabees on the Turnpike! That is if you don't get stung by a Portuguese man'o'war on the beach!

It is flat...so flat that the MSA on most airways is 1000' :D. Even a brit would feel at home at these altitudes. You get the 'orrible thunderstorms building up most afternoons which can rip your wings off, and you sweat from the humidity. Though......In the winter it can be COLD. I was in Tampa last year when it was snowing. It was cold for about 2 weeks, really cold I mean at about 5-7 degrees C....

But whatever you choose, the US flying experience is fantastic! :ok:

(PS I worked in Florida, but I promise nothing to do with BP ;))

mary meagher
4th Oct 2010, 10:52
Now, now, you've got to be nice to old people. You might get to be one yourself someday....

As for gangsters on the motorways, it is certainly true that driving in Florida (or Texas or even California, I bet) you must drive with courtesy, never cut anyone off or give them the bird, because if you cause resentment, the offended driver is likely to be carrying a firearm....

However, it is perfectly safe and proper and legal to stick to the middle lane on a motorway. Other drivers will whizz by on both sides. They ought to make that a rule over here, it works very well. And you can turn right (they drive on the right, by the way) even if the light is red, as long as you have a good look. Curious customs....

Cusco
4th Oct 2010, 13:20
Having flown/studied/rented in Florida and California I'd choose California (read:West Coast including Nevada/Arizona) anytime: I think the sea temperature is an irrelevance: The chances of my ditching or choosing to swim off the beach for pleasure are equally small...............

mad_jock
4th Oct 2010, 15:22
I wouldn't go back to FL.

And I wouldn't proberly go to CA either.

Now Alaska........... Completely different story.

mary meagher
4th Oct 2010, 18:58
I'm glad Mad Jock mentioned Alaska. Now a while back on this entertaining thread (Goodbody has probably gone off by now) I promised to tell you exactly what is wrong with California. As compared with say New York, Florida, or even the UK.

Enterprising people, or those who couldn't fit in at home, or those whose agriculture was below subsistence for the population sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to populate the thirteen original colonies of the United States, bringing plenty of black African slaves to do the heavy work in the South.

Those people who were not successful or didn't fit in on the Eastern Seaboard packed up the wagon and moved West. Across the Missisippi. Those who couldn't get on in the Midwest eventually moved to California. Which until the late twentieth century was full of wierdos.

The Frontier still calls to those who are maladjusted in various ways; now they move on to Alaska.....

maxred
4th Oct 2010, 19:51
Ready to depart from Naples Air Centre, nice flight to Key West, instructor calls me back and shows me the highway, where in the event of an engine failure, I should point the plane. To my quisical look he dryly comments, gators to the left, sharks to the right. Take your pick son.;)

Remembered that flight for quite some time.

Katamarino
5th Oct 2010, 13:20
Just dress normally; you're going to an office to get an official document, so don't treat it as if you're about to hit the beach, but there is really no need to go crazy. To be honest, I think I may have gone in Sandals/Shorts/T-Shirt; or maybe it was a polo-neck. Anyway, no-one blinked an eye, and the offocial and I had a very pleasant conversation about England and how much he enjoyed his visits. If you know how to behave in a social situation, as everyone should, it really is a non-event.

As for not flying in Shorts/T-Shirt? Rubbish! Everyone in Florida does, even the instructors at my (very high quality) flight school when I was doing the IR/CPL this year were in shorts and a polo shirt! It's pure practicality.

I've flown extensively in both Florida and California. I prefer Florida for training, and California (and the surrounding states) for touring with a tent.

mary meagher
5th Oct 2010, 13:52
Regarding Katamarino's sensible suggestions for flying costume in Florida, can anyone remind me just what aircraft are available for rent anywhere that include air conditioning?