PDA

View Full Version : Cost of adding ratings/qualifications

Pom pom
2nd Oct 2010, 08:18
I'm planning to learn some new skills this Autumn/Winter, and would like to know (if all goes well and I successfully complete the courses) is there a time period in which one must send off the necessary paperwork to the CAA to get one's licence amended? For example, if I do a Night Qualification, "wobbly prop" and rectractable, and a tailwheel conversion, spread over a few months, can I send all the bits of paper off together to the CAA, and will I be charged for each addition separately, or en bloc? Also, I currently have a UK CAA lifetime PPL(A); are there any implications regarding these additional ratings/qualifications and the new licences (ie. JAR/EASA)?

Many thanks, PP :confused:

GA8vanman
2nd Oct 2010, 15:48
Wobbly prop, retractable, tailwheel are all differences training and all that is required is a signature in your logbook from an instructor to say that you have completed the training to a satisfactory standard.

Night is a little different in that it is a qualification that must be added to your licence and the words 'the rights of this licence may be exercised at night' etc added. So the CAA must do this bit. Turnaround time depends of the time of year and how much paper has clogged up Gatwick House.

Bearing in mind that you need to do an hour with an instructor during the second 12 months of your 24 months validity of your SEP(A) validation then it would make sense to do any of these during the second 12 months.

No differences for a lifetime PPL(A) as opposed to a JAA licence - it is the certificate of experience that makes the whole thing current!

Have fun!

Aerial Chauffeur
3rd Oct 2010, 10:10
Think the current fee for adding 'stuff' to your licence is £84.00 :uhoh:

Whopity
3rd Oct 2010, 20:08
I currently have a UK CAA lifetime PPL(A); are there any implications regarding these additional ratings/qualifications and the new licences (ie. JAR/EASA)?Unless you only want to fly Annex II aircraft, from some time around 2012 you will need to obtain a JAA licence to carry you into the new EASA era. If you are going to send off for a night qualification, then thats probably a good time to convert to a JAA PPL (another payment).