PDA

View Full Version : visiting an air traffic control tower

coldwhisp
1st Oct 2010, 20:35
Hi everyone.
I am interested on visitng an air traffic control tower, preferably the one on Edinburgh's airport as it is where i live.
However i am quite lost, i cannot seem to find contact information, i tried contacting NATS but got no answer either.
Anyone could give me a hand please?
You dont need to answer here, you can send me a private if you want.

Thanks a lot on advance
Take care controlers and no controlers take less care! not for nothing but cos u have less resposabily... xDD bad joke !

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Oct 2010, 07:00
<<not for nothing but cos u have less resposabily>>

As long as you're not thinking of becoming a controller we should be OK!!!!

coldwhisp
3rd Oct 2010, 11:51
Option A: u deduced that i wouldnt be a good controller because of a bad joke - Great.

Option B: U answered wth even a worst joke than me - Great.

I should not give explanations about anything but ...English is not my first language ence my jokes will probably be very hard to get for people like you (not judging, just saying).

Now before you say anything else, i would like to ask you to do something,

Try to make an english joke on spanish. and then go to a spanish forum and see what happens.

Just saying, :ok: !

Thanks for the phone number.

Sir Herbert Gussett
3rd Oct 2010, 13:19
Bren is it just me that has noticed the extremely rude attitude of wannabe-ATCOs in here as of late :bored:

Helen49
3rd Oct 2010, 13:40
I remember a time when there was a lot more respect for others in general! In my early ATC days, as an assistant, the controllers were almost Gods....but then that was back in the sixties! Trouble was, as time went on, some of the controllers thought that they were God and treated the assistants like slaves. Funny old world!
H49

BrATCO
3rd Oct 2010, 13:48
Coldwhisp,
just an advice : watch your "humour".
No link with your mother tongue.

Controllers think, eat, drink, breath, sleep, dream ATC.
They've fought their life long to become and stay controllers, get and keep their license.
They ARE controllers !

Trying a joke on responsabilities or professionalism with controllers is more than an insult you slap in their face.
A century ago, could have finished in a blood bath after a pistol-duel at dawn...
Watch your humour !

Sir Herbert Gussett
3rd Oct 2010, 14:12
Can anyone translate the joke for me? I have NEVER heard "xDD" before - what on earth is that an acronym for? :confused:

CraigJL
3rd Oct 2010, 14:25
They've fought their life long to become and stay controllersIt'll be a fight for the OP to get a visit in the first place. It took me nigh on 3 months, and afterwords I felt I had achieved something extraordinary. I always quote my visit with pride, and I hope it will come in very handy in the future. I was most certainly grateful for being allowed to observe a busy schedule in an intense job.

In my early ATC days, as an assistant, the controllers were almost GodsI certainly respect controllers, especially after being alongside them for a time. Given the difficulties involved in getting accepted in the first place, that's something to admire all on its own.

P.S - The PH lot do like their muffins. Bring a tray, and you'll be off on the right foot. ;)

le Pingouin
3rd Oct 2010, 15:07
Sir Herbert, "xD" is a smiley to indicate you're laughing hard - eyes shut with big grin. The extra D is for emphasis - a really big grin.

Like all jokes, they lose something when explained?

Sir Herbert Gussett
3rd Oct 2010, 15:21
Oh jeesh how sad - I only limit my simely things to these :ok: :} !!! ;)

LEGAL TENDER
3rd Oct 2010, 20:29
They've fought their life long to become and stay controllers, get and keep their license.
They ARE controllers !

We've seen them fighting for their rights every time there's a NATS ballot too!

Roffa
3rd Oct 2010, 22:29

Seriously?

BrATCO
4th Oct 2010, 02:13
Roffa,
Seriously? Just an image.
Controllers don't drink too much ATC, do they ?

AGNES
4th Oct 2010, 03:18
Helen49,

What you said also implied to Hong Kong.

Glamdring
4th Oct 2010, 06:53
I'll have my ATC with milk and 2 please!

BrATCO
4th Oct 2010, 12:19
I like it shaken, not stirred, poured on the rocks*, an olive on top.

* : Otherwise it's a bit strong !

niknak
4th Oct 2010, 15:14

I certainly think about it when I am operational, but as much as I love the job I don't think about it when I am not at work.

As for eating and drinking, lard and ale is essential off duty - muffins and strong tea whilst on duty is a most acceptable proposition.;)

coldwhisp
7th Oct 2010, 20:11
damn i been away a week and didnt read anything.

What are u thinking of?

why ar eu always so defensive??

My joke meant to say that air controllers have tons of responsability because millions of lifes are on their hands.

Hell u see how YES definetly the language is the problem.

U did not understand me but im sure u didnt try hard enough.

Nothing else to say, my question was answered and i appreciate it.

The rest go and hit ur head with the wall if u had a bad day

Jesus christ.

niknak
7th Oct 2010, 20:16
Coldwhisp.

Don't take it personally my friend.
You get all sorts of folk on these forums, the response you get varies greatly according to the age, experience and the amount the respondant has had to drink!:p

Best wishes to you in your future career.

Capetonian
7th Oct 2010, 21:05
coldwhisp

If you ever become an AT Controller please tell me which area you are covering, I want to be sure I never fly in that area.

Aunque es verdad que el humor no se traduce, hay normas linguisticas que tienen que ser respetados, por lo menos.

coldwhisp
7th Oct 2010, 22:54
Niknak. Thanks for taking the time...;)

Take care.

BrATCO
7th Oct 2010, 23:40
why ar eu always so defensive??

Just don't play with responsability/professionalism when adressing controllers. They won't try to understand and will fire at first sight.
As niknak wrote, nothing personal.

Regarding "las normas".
Just reading you is already an effort. At least for me (non-native)...
Must also be difficult for natives to read me sometimes, but I make efforts.

I could have you on the phone in a few years. Until then, you'll have to learn how to help me understand you.
Doesn't work everytime at first try... You'll have to try again slower, and again in other words, keep cool and try again until it works.
Same when talking to pilots.
No choice.

We all went through this learning. Native or not.

Good luck.

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, an example of really bad joke from a non-native :

CraigJL, It took me nigh on 3 monthsWhy didn't you try on days, could have been quicker...:O

More seriously : If I want to take my 16-year-old daughter in a visit where I work, I must ask the government. Can take more than 3 months, lots of paperwork and they may send the police to make an inquiry first.

coolbeans
8th Oct 2010, 00:29
Bren is it just me that has noticed the extremely rude attitude of wannabe-ATCOs in here as of late

As opposed to the welcoming smiles and open arms of the previous generation :p