PDA

View Full Version : Lost Keys

John Blair
30th Sep 2010, 22:13
What a day. I decided to take my boss flying for the first time today after getting my PPL and after checking out the plane I realised that I had lost the keys to the aircraft. After 2 hours of searching everywhere we had to call it a day and go home without leaving the ground or finding the keys.

Has anyone else had similar experiences as I am feeling very humble, please tell me that I am not the only silly person out there.

JB

eharding
30th Sep 2010, 22:31
What a day. I decided to take my boss flying for the first time today after getting my PPL and after checking out the plane I realised that I had lost the keys to the aircraft. After 2 hours of searching everywhere we had to call it a day and go home without leaving the ground or finding the keys.

Has anyone else had similar experiences as I am feeling very humble, please tell me that I am not the only silly person out there.

JB

Yes, but my boss was man enough to say he was petrified at the thought of flying with me when I started to take lessons, and hence no further invitation was issued....

....rather than bluffing it out, nicking the keys to the aircraft at the last minute when I was doing the A-check on the aircraft, hiding them down his y-fronts, feigning disappointment after 2 hours of fruitless searching that no flying was to be had, and then burying them at the back of the garden when he was safely back home.

If you get my drift.

Pace
30th Sep 2010, 22:40
Aircraft keys are notoriously un reliable :E just try some from the club aircraft or maintenance people one will work.

Many dont have keys other than for doors and fuel caps!

was this your own aircraft?

Pace

stiknruda
30th Sep 2010, 22:43
I think you'll find that most keys fit most aircraft.

Proper aircraft don't needs keys!

And most pilots can start most aeroplanes that do have keys without keys!

eharding - should have have his fridge locked by key!!

Not very helpful, dear chap, but hopefully you'll feel better soon!

JW411
1st Oct 2010, 08:31
Well, I've lost count of the number of times that I have got myself nice and tightly strapped in and then remember that the keys are in my trouser pocket which means that I have to start all over again!

Jodelman
1st Oct 2010, 09:56
Aircraft keys are notoriously un reliable

Indeed they are. The ignition key from my 1954 MG Magnette fits a friends Piper Colt perfectly.

Arclite01
1st Oct 2010, 13:35
I forgot the hangar combination a few times

So I wrote it down in the back of my Logbook - and forgot that instead........

Like Stik says - real aircraft don't need keys !

Arc