PDA

View Full Version : Navaids

Boslandew
30th Sep 2010, 11:54
As someone who has been out of the business for ten years and having no contact with anyone who still is, can someone let me know if GPS is a primary navaid now or do long-haul aircraft still have to carry triple inertial systems?

Thanks in advance

Boslandew

411A
30th Sep 2010, 14:42
The airline I was flying for at the time was fully approved for enroute navigation, in MNPS airspace, with two Honeywell HT-9100 GPS units as the sole means of navigation....and this was in 1998.
Type aircraft, Lockheed L1011.

Now, I expect others will argue otherwise, however...they would be wrong, at least in our case.

Can't say about other airlines specifics, however.

FE Hoppy
30th Sep 2010, 16:25
Yes, but not in all circumstances.

aterpster
30th Sep 2010, 16:41
Boslandew:
As someone who has been out of the business for ten years and having no contact with anyone who still is, can someone let me know if GPS is a primary navaid now or do long-haul aircraft still have to carry triple inertial systems?

If the unit has the required fault detection software then it can be used as sole means for oceanic. But, that doesn't mean it can necessarily be used as primary in domestic airspace.

Boslandew
1st Oct 2010, 18:31
Gentlemen

Many thanks for the info. When in doubt, ask a professional

Boslandew

grounded27
2nd Oct 2010, 04:08
The most common method today of lr nav is a compliment of IRU's with GNS (GPS) updating or correction. It gives the aircraft a reliable internal navigatoin source with GPS position updating.