PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL licence - what happens after 5 years ?

742-xx
29th Sep 2010, 07:51
What's involved in getting your PPL renewed after five years ?

I've read that it gets issued for a maximum of five years but then what ?

I've just renewed my SEP, which was surprisingly straightforward.

I have trawled through LASORS but I'm losing the will to live !!

Thanks in advance.

BackPacker
29th Sep 2010, 07:59
You send in a form (SRG\1102) with some copies of some other documents, pay some dosh (using form SRG\1187) and get a new license, valid for another five years.

The CAA was actually kind enough to send me a reminder, with the appropriate forms, about three months in advance.

honda cbx
29th Sep 2010, 08:42
I renewed mine a couple of months ago. As already stated, CAA will send you the renewal forms, you sign them, and return them together with a valid copy of your medical and licence details,oh and the best bit, a fee of £70. !!

TractorBoy
29th Sep 2010, 12:23
It's just an excuse to relieve you of some money.

BTW - you don't need to send them your actual medical certificate (Don't know if anyone has....) - just a photocopy will do.

Katamarino
29th Sep 2010, 12:40
You give the CAA money, and then they do absolutely nothing for you in return.

It's a nice job, if you can get it!

Charles E Taylor
29th Sep 2010, 19:33
It looks like there will be some significant changes soon.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/620/srg_l&ts_EuropeanLegislation_ExpectedEffectOnUKPilots_Sept2010.pdf

Progress? Oh well!

Charlie

Whopity
30th Sep 2010, 23:14
It looks like there will be some significant changes soon.Yes, even the lifetime licences will have to be renewed every 5 years! Europe actually wanted them to be re-issued every year, not every 5 years, it was the UK CAA that argued for 10 years and had to compromise at 5 years, so you can't blame them for that one.

GetShorty
4th Oct 2010, 09:17
Yes, even the lifetime licences will have to be renewed every 5 years!

Where does it say that?

Katamarino
5th Oct 2010, 19:59
I just got my license back after my 5-year renewal.

They have typed my address wrong, despite the fact that they had it printed correctly, several times, on several forms that I submitted.

They have also printed it on the piper at a slightly skewed angle.

£70 well spent on the services of these professionals :rolleyes:

PontiusPilote
9th Oct 2010, 12:10
"2.9 In the recent past there have been statements in the aviation media and correspondence addressed to the CAA, demanding that the CAA ensures that the existing privileges of UK licence holders are preserved. As explained above, the CAA has no legal powers to ensure that existing privileges are retained. It must also be appreciated that as European legislation overrides national provisions, any agreements in respect of licensing regulation that the CAA may have given in the past, whether generally or to individuals, will not be sustainable into the future if those agreements are contrary to European regulations."

Looks like we are screwed then, as usual.....! Bang go our CAA PPL's....! In the Alice in Wonderland world of the EU nothing is allowed to come between the bureaucrats and the public whom they tax to ensure their own existence. It's all about control. EU action against N-registered a/c and pilots is more of the same, - sheer malicious spite really.
Sadly, as soon as the self-serving amateurs in the EU started to get interested in aviation, the writing was on the wall. Everyone knows none of this BS has anything to do with Safety. The US system works very well, is much less restrictive and bureaucratic, less expensive, is faster, and there is zero evidence that it's less safe. Trust the petty amateurs in the EU to take something and set it up as an expensive gravy-train.
The sooner the UK gets the hell out of the EU the better. More than ever, we simply cannot afford it, and certainly deserve better.
It's often forgotten that the EU needs us far more than we need it.....