PDA

View Full Version : Unlicensed Runways - so what?

Aussie Andy
27th Nov 2001, 20:11
I reckon I should know, having allegedly passed air law(!), but I don't and its bugging me so I'll ask:

What's the significance of unlicensed runways? E.g. Kemble is unlicensed, and I recall that one of the runways at Lydd is, but the other isn't. I've always read this with interest in the Bottlang guide, but never really appreciated what it means to me.

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I associate "unlicensed" with "no training flights" but I'm only half sure.

So, as a regular PPL, what should it mean to me when I spy an "unlicensed" runway?

Cheers all,

Andy

DB6
27th Nov 2001, 23:10
Practically the restriction on training flights is what it means with respect to runways (I think it's 'unlicenced for commercial operations') however if it is in reference to an airfield as a whole there are other implications e.g. there is not necessarily fire and crash cover. I'm sure there are other things too but without consulting the ANO or the CAA I can't say offhand. Practically, for a regular PPL, it doesn't mean a fat lot.

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: DB6 ]

Toppers
27th Nov 2001, 23:12
I'm probably wrong but I believe that landing at an unlicenced field means you are fully responsible in case of an accident. If you land at a licenced a/field before its official licenced hours begin, you will be frowned upon because they are not licenced out of hours.

I once landed at an airfield not far from Boscombe before they opened (8.55 am) and all hell let lose because they were not licenced before 9 am. Muchos apologies to all and I was forgiven though.

SlipSlider
27th Nov 2001, 23:55
Other than unlicenced = no fire/crash crew, no ab initio training flights, and no inspection fee to the CAA ... key thing is to check beforehand whether the insurance for a rented aircraft covers use of unlicenced airfields, which I guess includes all airstrips.

foxmoth
27th Nov 2001, 23:56
To a basic PPL it does not make a lot of difference apart from knowing that they may not have fire cover. It makes a difference if you are training (not allowed) or commercial ( ONE end of the flight must be licenced - stops pleasure flights from farmers fields).

Aussie Andy
28th Nov 2001, 00:04
Thanks foxmouth - that seems to clarify things nicely.

But why, then, would Toppers have had grief from people at the airfield near Boscombe for landing prior to their "licensed" time - seems from what I've read that it should not be a cause for complaint. Perhaps the issue was PPR?

Andy

QNH 1013
28th Nov 2001, 01:10
Someone at the airfield where Toppers landed probably got mixed up between operational hours and licenced hours. An airfield (runway) can only be licenced while certain conditions are met, eg particular level of fire cover, and if this isn't present because the staff haven't yet arrived then the airfield is unlicenced. This should be of no practical or legal consequence for a non-training private flight.
Operational hours, on the other hand, may be limited by local planning restrictions, e.g. no movements before 0900 or after 2100. They may even be limited by the whim of the owner or manager, in which case it could be argued that you didn't have permission to use the airfield at that hour.

It is very easy to fall foul of restrictions like this in spite of telephoning in advance because the answers you are given often seem to vary according to who answers the phone. It can often be easier to get permission to land early in the morning at a farm strip than at a licenced airfield. Only in the UK could we arrive at such a situation.
I'm told that in the USA most small town's airfields are what we would consider unlicenced and are always available.

I have never seen any restriction on a private aircraft insurance that limited the use to licenced runways. Perhaps if you had something very expensive (DH Mosquito?) you might negotiate a reduced premium for such a restriction but none of the policies I've had have ever had such a restriction.

Jepp
28th Nov 2001, 02:45
Some clubs will not rent out their aircraft for flights to unlicenced airfields, mine wont, it wasn't until I had joined and paid my membership that I found this out. This can cramp you style and seriously affect the number of different airfields you can fly to.

I know what your'e all thinking "should of read the small print, but there you go.

Happy flying

CaptAirProx
28th Nov 2001, 02:54
Seem to remember that if the airfield is unlicensed then it does affect Joe Bloggs. I'm sure that in the ANO if an airfield is not licensed/government aerodrome, or notified by the CAA for that purpose, an aircraft is not exempt from the 'rule 5' for the purpose of practice approaches at the said aerodrome. So if you don't intend landing off the approach you must think again about doing that on an unlicensed runway/airfield. Just been looking at UKAIM from AFE and I'm too tired to get into all this C**P!

foxmoth
28th Nov 2001, 03:30
Captairprox - not a normal situation, you seem to be refering to a practice go around which in practice will not affect most PPLs, As far as landing before official opening time goes,this comes under having clearance to land at ANY site, you MUST have clearance to land from the landowner, this can be a phone call to the operator or a radio call, OR the promulgated opening time if the airfield is happy to accept non radio, but you MUSt have this permission in some way, this is not involving the licencing issue but is basic to landing anywhere except in an emergency.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2001, 11:32
Licensing is really nothing more nor less than CAA certification that an airfield meets basic safety standards.

UK CAA rules won't allow commercial light aircraft or motorglider training at unlicensed airfields including cross-countries, and UK MoD rules won't allow military flight testing at unlicensed airfields. Basically that's about it.

It is argued in certain quarters that it's just another unnecessary charge on the flying training industry, and that club instructors should be allowed to use their own judgement - frankly, I agree with that view.

One could understand some clubs or insurance companies insisting upon licensed airfields, but it's really only them covering their backsides - nothing more. No other country uses the same sort of airfield licensing system except Eire, so far as I know.

G

CaptAirProx
28th Nov 2001, 12:50
Foxmouth, you are quite correct. But I do remember a few years back on a cold wet windy day with not much else going on, we instructors were chewing the cud. We realised that in theory if you go to buzz an unlicenced aerodrome to clear the sheep b4 the next approach to land, you could get yourself into trouble if some person to dislike to your antics. Thats all folks!

Licenced means the CAA have checked and verified the declared distances for the runway in question. And will be notified in the AIP. Un-licenced means they won't appear here and you have to take the figures with a pinch of salt.

Aussie Andy
28th Nov 2001, 13:01
Once again, PPRUNE has come up trumps!

Thanks guys - I think I get it now.

Cheers,

Andy

Mister Gash
28th Nov 2001, 13:33
Some life insurance companies also lay down conditions for use of unlicensed fields by pilots. Check the small print in your policy.