PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful weather forecasting - not.

rans6andrew
28th Sep 2010, 21:53
Metcheck has us down for 290mph, yes 290mph, winds on friday in the Reading area.

Metcheck.com - Detailed Daily Weather Forecast for RG10 - [Updated on 28 September 2010 at 22:00] - Weather Feeds - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=rg10&day=5)

I was not planning to go flying so it won't bother me.

Rans6...

znww5
28th Sep 2010, 22:20
And not for the first time either, I seem to remember 240kt winds forecast a few months ago - you'd think that they would have some sort of 'ludicrous' filter built into the software somewhere. Come to think of it, some of the longer term rainfall figures can be 'imaginative' from time to time as well.

On the other hand, Reading can be a bit breezy at times, maybe its right ;)

eharding
28th Sep 2010, 23:09
And not for the first time either, I seem to remember 240kt winds forecast a few months ago - you'd think that they would have some sort of 'ludicrous' filter built into the software somewhere. Come to think of it, some of the longer term rainfall figures can be 'imaginative' from time to time as well.

On the other hand, Reading can be a bit breezy at times, maybe its right ;)

Unless Metcheck's automatic systems have detected that the particularly well engineered and targeted malware that went after the Iranian reactor control systems last month has mutated a bit, and is about to jump over the fence into Burghfield on Friday.....in which case, the 240mph gusts are the minor effects - the thermal pulse, hard gammas and the shockwave are the things you want to worry about in Reading.....

blueandwhite
29th Sep 2010, 04:37
:hmm:

Me thinks 290 MPH winds in Reading - could do millions of pounds worth of improvements. :)

aviate1138
29th Sep 2010, 05:49
Maybe the local token wind farm will be able to reach its claimed output, instead of its 17% efficiency rating! :rolleyes: