PDA

View Full Version : Airparks in the UK for GA

dakota_pete
22nd Nov 2001, 16:19
I am very interested in setting up an airpark similar to the US and France in the UK, preferably in the South - Kent would be ideal. Planning is a nightmare so finding a suitable current operational airfield or recently disused airfield may be the best soultion - anybody any thoughts or views to offer

harris.com
22nd Nov 2001, 18:51
Dunsfold has closed recently but it is close to the gatwick zone.

rex
22nd Nov 2001, 22:31
Hi D P

I have had the same thought , but unfortunately lack the cash to buy an airfield. I have even thought about doing some sketches and 3d graphics :cool:

Mind you why not ask a bank. Maybe I will do a biz plan for the hell of it. I have lots of ideas.

Why not mail me, nothing ventured nothing gained.

REX
:)

foxmoth
22nd Nov 2001, 22:39
Dunsfold would be great if you could get permission, just outside the LGW zone but hany for many points. Other good sites would be the old airfields at Ford (W Sussex) or Thorney Island (Hants). Thorney would be fantastic as it is on the water and you could have your aircraft AND your Yacht both at home! Thorney is MOD at the moment though. Now where did I put that lottery ticket?

rex
22nd Nov 2001, 23:22
Hi Fox

Thing is, just how do you purchase ex MOD land. I am sure HM Gov't want the cash. Probably the only things flying out of RAF bases will be 172s PA28s etc. Why not put them to good use.

REX :)

SKYYACHT
23rd Nov 2001, 22:05
count me in - its just what UK aviation needs! Mind you, not sure about the NIMBYs!

Tailwinds,

rex
24th Nov 2001, 02:06
I wonder how much money we could raise for the idea?

:eek:

bingoboy
24th Nov 2001, 11:58
I for one would live on an airpark.
The only two serious attempts in UK that I know of - Telford and Henstridge - were turned down by our enlightened planning system. They perhaps should have included a Sainbury and a golf course in the plan!

What about airfields under pressure advertising all property within say a 2 mile radius to pilots who like aeroplanes so as to build up a buffer from the buffers.
:cool:

foxmoth
26th Nov 2001, 02:18
In the news today about the MOD wanting to close major bases to save money, maybe worth dropping them a line and asking ?, probably won't get you far, but who knows?

Mc-Aero
26th Nov 2001, 14:47
Great idea! I too have harboured such thoughts but considered Wiltshire - M4 area however would be keen to reside wherever an airpark was built.

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Mc-Aero ]

Avoiding Action
26th Nov 2001, 22:01
Yeah, and there's a foolproof way to decide which MOD base to bid for....

Look for the one that's just had it's 8000' runway resurfaced, lots of new sqn ops buildings put up and a brand new set of domestic accommodation...that'll be the one they'll sell off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: