PDA

View Full Version : NZ to UK PPL

Dupre
20th Nov 2001, 09:51
Does anyone know what's required to convert my kiwi PPL to UK for a bit of flying in a few months? I have had no trouble with temporary validation in Australia and Canada, but i hear that the UK is extremely difficult - however all that heresay has centred around commercial licences.

Is it any different for PPL's? Also, what about the medical - could i fly on my NZ medical??

Thanks, Dupre.

Southern Cross
20th Nov 2001, 13:35
No need for you to convert your PPL at all I think (unless the JAR rules have changed mattes completely) and your medical is OK too - at least that is how I did it in 1994. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The general rule is that you need 2 of 3: being jurisdiction of licence, jurisdiction of registration of aeroplane, and where you are flying. In your case, this means that provided you are flying a UK aeroplane in the UK, you can do so on your NZ licence. NB This prevents you from crossing to France.

Suggest you call a flight school at what ever airport you fancy flying from and check they are in agreement. Then, you will need to demonstrate competence to the satisfaction of the CFI. Once he is happy, you ought to be able to hire from that organisation. If your experience is anything like mine, you will take longer to learn the local area (fewer lakes and mountains usually to assist nav - all these English towns look the same initially (gross generalisation of course, but it is vastly different from NZ - for a start, the country looks largely flat from 2000 feet!), key things like the conspicuity transponder code (which is different to NZ) etc etc.

Then, I think, you are good to go.

Where did you fly in NZ?

Dupre
21st Nov 2001, 03:30
southern cross - check your mail.