PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please! Uk Destinations for a Fly-in...

JB007
19th Nov 2001, 17:10
To all you guys that get around the Uk in light aircraft..

Could I have some suggestions, from your experiance, for a decent airfield that would be able to accomodate a (hopefully!) fairly large fly-in with a club that would be able to provide a bar and a Bar-B-Q/or food facilities. Also near to a local hotel/B+B for those flyers who want to drink or for those who have flown a greater distance than others.

Not really too worried about location but the more interesting the airfield the better.

Obviously due to the time of year this is not imminent, so if you fly somewhere you think looks good, could I ask you to please drop me an e-mail with any recommendations.

Thanks!

Genghis the Engineer
19th Nov 2001, 17:33
Personal favourites of mine would be Sywell, Old Sarum or White Waltham. All admirably meet your requirements.

G

FlyingForFun
19th Nov 2001, 19:02
I'd go with White Waltham, which is where I fly from. Pretty good bar open all hours, and I've been to their "evening entertainments" a couple of times and can confirm that there is a similar level of alcohol consumption to a PPRuNe bash! A bit tricky to find if you don't know it, but that just makes it more fun, and there's always a few interesting aircraft around...

FFF
--------

ianbishop
19th Nov 2001, 21:56
I'd tend to back the concept of Old Sarum - reasonable amount of accommodation within 3 miles of airfield.

Compton Abbas also has good bar / restaurant, but little accommodation in area for at least 5 miles. Can also be a tad tricky for visitors to acclimatise to the airfield approach on the Westerly line up.

FFF - wouldn't have thought that alcohol consumption was a problem for you at PPRuNe bashes, more alcohol retention ;) ;) I won't tell if no-one else does!!

daviesi
19th Nov 2001, 23:33
Allow me to put my suggestion of Seething in Norfolk. You can have the bar and club house to yourself and they can put on a BBQ. In addition to hosting the fly in they are organising air to air photography (for free!). There are B+Bs within 5 miles and Norwich is 10 miles. Nch airfield can provide radar cover and an ILS in the event of poor weather. Not really on the way to anyweher but a different location. Checkout www.seething-airfield.co.uk (http://www.seething-airfield.co.uk)

PPRuNe Towers
20th Nov 2001, 03:43
I dunno,

You make a suggestion to a guy to look at aircraft groups rather than club flying and within a week he's not only bought a share but is thinking of organising a PPRuNe Fly-in ;) ;)

Sterling work JB!! Just remember to save a tie down for the Towers Aeronca mate.

Regards
Rob Lloyd

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Nov 2001, 13:51
My vote would got to Sywell.

JB007
20th Nov 2001, 16:34
Thanks guys...keep em coming!!!

PPT - No worries, STAND 1 reserved!!!

I think this could turn out to be a really good day out and hopefully and annual affair!
A PPRuNe takeover of an airfield somewhere should certainly make Pilot Mag at least I reckon!!!

Logistically just need to see how it turns out, who's got access to A/c etc etc...and it's not just fixed wing Whirlybird!

Also need to try and get the PPRuNe Bashmeisters involved for a touch of professional organising!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Ace Rimmer
20th Nov 2001, 17:38
Cool, I feel a Rimmer road (air) trip coming on... It'd certainly make Today's Pilot eh Chris... :D :eek: :D

Spoonbill
20th Nov 2001, 18:55
How about.................. Felthorpe Airfield, 2.5 miles NW of Norwich Airport, a smashing place to go, (although the established flying group are having a bit of a ruck with the new owners who want to take their bat and ball away).
Otherwise, Seething (has been mentioned) and Old Buckenham both have the required facilities, (bar, space, local hotels, oh yes..... and an airfield as well :p ).
Swanton Morley , but probably the warmest welcome will be at .Cromer airstrip, very basic, but the operator already organises several themed fly ins every year and knows his stuff inside out.
If you want any details email me. :cool:

javelin
22nd Nov 2001, 03:28
Central, Fenland, difficult to find, excellent service and caff and some local b & b's around. Further North, Netherthorpe, best caff around, even though the chef is grumpy sometimes ! Great beer and locals. Further North, Bagby, now the owner is grumpy but the locals are great, the beer is excellent and there are loads of b& b's. Further North & West, Kirkbride - Oh, the hangovers ! Further North, Fife (Glenrothes) probably the best scoff in the country, good locals if you can understand them and great scenery. Can't think of anywhere South of Lincolnshire, sorry !

QNH 1013
22nd Nov 2001, 04:12
Forget Sywell, last fly-in I went to there charged us all £9 per aircraft to land. Most of the other places mentioned will waive landing fees for a fly-in. The money is better spent towards B&B so we can all stay and enjoy ourselves.

Keef
22nd Nov 2001, 05:05
Have you considered Oban (North Connel)?

Must be the friendliest airfield I've visited.

Fabulous scenery all around, and the Black Bottle Challenge for those minded to visit some islands.

New Bloke
22nd Nov 2001, 14:29
A PPRuNe Fly-in. Why didn't you say.

Actually we have tried it before but never had the "big Guns" involved before.

How about LFAT? Manston is closed to non-based traffic but I assume we are talking about next year, we could all meet at Manston and formate across to Le Touquet, now that would be cool.

arrow2
22nd Nov 2001, 15:34
I'd plump for Sywell. If the numbers are sufficient I am sure we could talk to them over the landing fee issue. The other main consideration is its Central location to attract as many comers as possible.

JB007 I would suggest you choose 2 dates, 1 first choice and then a standby in case of poor wx. Sounds fun - just make sure it has at least 700 metres! ;)

A2

Wassat Noyze
23rd Nov 2001, 15:28
You would be made very welcome here at Bodmin - great location and good facilities with plenty to offer nearby (we can even arrange transport to the Eden Project for those seeking something a bit different).

Cornwall Flying Club (http://www.cornwallflyclub.demon.co.uk)

JB007
23rd Nov 2001, 16:57
Wassat Noyze,

Thanks very much for that. I may pay you a visit soon! I have a new share - will travel!!

Thanks for all the ideas guys, very useful stuff. Keep em comin if you've got more.

I know this has been suggested before and didn't quite take off forgive the pun! but if the interest can be generated it could turn out to be a crackin day out!

It all kind of depends on who has access to aircraft and more importantly if they want to pay for them - but i'm sure they'll be loads of empty seats around!!

arrow2 - Noted on the S/BY day-Good plan!

Final 3 Greens
23rd Nov 2001, 17:24
JB

The Squadron at North Weald welcome fly ins (they hold lots), have the facilities you mention and there are hotels and B&Bs a taxi ride away.

The airfield has some interesting a/c (Avenger, Daks, Cat, JPs, L39s etc) and two good tarmac runways (02/20 abt 1900M and 13/31 abt 600M)

Save a place for my 'umble Pup!

F3G :)

Diplomate
25th Nov 2001, 17:53
These posts all seem to be a "bit Southern" - what about Blackpool - walking distance of the Pleasure Beach. Alternatively, for something different, try Isle of Man.

PURPLE PITOT
25th Nov 2001, 19:33
Yeah! try blackpool. You could have a drink in the comed bar and vist your old pal RM.

ianhogg
27th Nov 2001, 21:18
Here's a thought, at kirkbride famous for it's vast sunday lunches at the white heather (men have flown in in a 140 and needed an aztec to get there distended belly home.)It can cater for 300 sat down ,there is acres of parking for ac . Infact John P the affable chap who mans the tower there for fun is proposing a flyin and aviators ball in may .And the tourist board in north cumbria who have had a very non fun year with foot and mouth seem keen on getting together discounted accom and taxis .sounds like it might be fun. :p

long final
27th Nov 2001, 21:49
Though I fly out of Blackpool, and think it is a great Airport, don't know how good it might be for a fly-in, BBQ could be a problem - ducks while hammered by other BPL'ers :D - plus I fancy going on this! If the southern folk could take the climate change I'd say Kirkbride would be ideal. Hard bits, lots of space, aforementioned food/pub and great hospitality.
Just my two penneth worth.
Regards
LF

QNH 1013
28th Nov 2001, 01:21
I think Kirkbride would be ideal for many reasons:
Long hard runway so anyone can land there.
Not much traffic there so easy arrival and departure.
Hotel on site (as has been mentioned) and fantastic Sunday lunch at low prices.
Low (£2)landing fees and probably free for a fly-in. - put the money towards staying overnight.

LowNSlow
28th Nov 2001, 16:49
Bag me a space for an Auster please. A visit to the frozen North with bed, beer and munchies all on site sounds v. good to me.

The weather may even be flyable in May unlike all the other times various bods have attempted to organise a fly-in.

If Kirkbride falls through, Old Buckenham is a good place to visit; grass for taildraggers and tarmac for shopping trollies. :D :D

Who has control?
28th Nov 2001, 17:42
I suggest that we need someone from PPrune Towers to make an executive decision here, something like :- SE in 2002, SW in 2003, NW in 2004, NE in 2005, Far McNorth in 2006. Then we can narrow the search down a bit.

Hope this can be a drive-in fly-in too.

Cesspit 152
30th Nov 2001, 01:27
Drop in at my local - St.Angelo/Enniskillen (EGAB) - it sits beside lough Erne - lovely spot. AVGAS goes at £90 an hour.

It'll mean a hop across the water for a lot of you guys, but the West Coast of Ireland is worth exploring.

juggernaut
1st Dec 2001, 01:00
Why not go North and visit Perth in Bonnie Scotland, 3 runways, (1 grass) VOR on airfield, friendly staff, an active GA site with bar and accomodation and spectacular scenery in free airspace. Lots to see locally. contact Scottish Aero Club on 01738 553357 who regularly organise fly in's and rally's.

JB007
1st Dec 2001, 02:09
Clearly, it's going to be a different location every year if we can get this to work....

Any more suggestions, please keep them coming and, with some consultation, i'll try and make a firm venue in a few weeks...AS SOON AS I GET SOME DAYS OFF !!!!

Cheers
JB