PDA

View Full Version : Bose-X: Are they any good?

gijoe
26th Sep 2010, 15:47
I am thinking of getting a Bose-X in the name of hearing preservation...but are they as good as claimed?

There is one here at the moment:

Bose-X Fixed Wing Straight Lead Aviation Headset Boxed on eBay (end time 03-Oct-10 16:41:46 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270640745041)

Is this a good deal?

Any advice offered from current owners would be greatly appreciated.

G:ok:

soaringhigh650
26th Sep 2010, 15:54
See http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/326912-bosex-aviation-headset.html

IO540
26th Sep 2010, 16:22
They don't make the X anymore. The A20 can be had in the USA for about $990, plus duty/VAT unless you can get around that, (non bluetooth) and is reportedly significantly better than the X.

Not saying the Ebay item is bad (though it is priced right at the top of the market) but this is worth a thought.

The Bose is worth every penny and more. The best headset out there, and totally sweeps the floor with nearly all other headsets in the shops, in terms of performance and comfort for long flights. I have four of them, and have done 7hr flights without any discomfort whatever. I have just bought the A20 (did a $400 trade-in for one of my 4 X headsets) but haven't collected it yet from my friend who brought it over.

Only drawback is that if you are going to let people sit on it, step on it, hang themselves on the lead, etc, i.e. typical school/clib use, not uncommon with passengers, then get a David Clarke :) (plus a bose for yourself ;) ).

DB6
26th Sep 2010, 16:44
Do a search, there are quite a few threads on this. I myself don't think they're much good but plenty of others do. They're certainly not worth the money new, maybe OK second hand. The Lightspeed Zulu is similar and reckoned better by many.

Wrong Stuff
26th Sep 2010, 16:54
I've got a set of ANR DCs, Lightspeed Zulus and Bose-X in the aircraft. Top choice for me is the Zulus - the rest are kept for passengers. There DCs are the least comfortable, but they're the quietest overall.

But there's very little to choose between the three. As for the Bose-X, if they're good enough for these guys...

http://www.aopa.org/images/home/feature_spaceshuttle.jpg

Shoestring Flyer
26th Sep 2010, 17:01
I concur regarding Lightspeed Zulu's. I have 2pairs.
Before I bought mine I did back to back flight tests Zulu's versus Bose X and the Zulu's came out best by a mile, mainly in the area of comfort having bigger ear seals than the Bose.

The Bose are still good but not IMHO as good as the Zulu.

IO540
26th Sep 2010, 17:09
The Zulu is perhaps the only match for the X.

Value for money will always be in the eye of the beholder :) If one plans to fly long-term, the cost of a Bose is insignificant.

So many people out there have crap radios (including much of UK low-level ATC, especially the military) that a good headset is a plus.

gijoe
26th Sep 2010, 17:11
Many thanks for all of your very quick replies and sage advice.

I think I will have a look at these ones on ebay and go from there if they are not over-priced. The owner says they are only 2 months old so I guess that is not that bad.

If they are anything like my ipod speakers, the Bose kit will be excellent but, as ever, craftmanship costs.

Thanks again all.

G:ok:

1800ed
26th Sep 2010, 17:57
Will still do the job though, and very well for that matter :)

airbrush10
26th Sep 2010, 20:51
I have several sets. Bose are great:
Clamping is not heavy, but when you are used to them, one or another is a bit heavier on the ears, but eons lighter than the DC 13.4 which I ditched recently. I have the impression this varies according to the day, the sinus blocks etc, but streeeeeeets ahead of anything else. But, when the batteries run out the attentuation is poorl So, keep spares.
I replaced the 13.4 with a new A20 which I am not sure about yet (very much better as you would expect but a different sound). So, Bose must be doing something right with the X and the A20!

Genghis the Engineer
26th Sep 2010, 21:37
For A-B flying or airborne science (two of my occupations), particularly in a noisy cockpit, they're the bees knees. Presumably the new Bose is slightly better, which may well make this a good time to grab a bargain.

For test flying, I never use ANR headsets - even at risk of increasing my personal (noise induced) stress levels, they filter out too much of the incidental noises that I need to be aware of. But that's what they're designed to do.

G