PDA

View Full Version : TMPFISH

mrchavez
26th Sep 2010, 09:11
I seem to have lost my training paperwork and now have no idea what the TMPFISH acroynm stands for...

From memory it is used for prestart checks (similar to BUMTHAW..Brakes..etc...etc)

Can anyone help?
Feel free to list your favourites

Saab Dastard
26th Sep 2010, 10:03
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/369251-bumffichh.html

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/423451-checklists.html

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/103323-check-list-mnemonics-lists.html

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/70921-mnemonic-phrases.html

SD

funfly
26th Sep 2010, 17:33
Saab Dastard, if you look at the Bumfinch thing where you referenced...
F means 'fuel' of course but it should also say "Fuel pump ON".
I must add that I think that carb heat is best checked and left ON at the downwind check stage rather than just checking it, removing it and trying to remember to put it on again at crosswind or final.

funfly
26th Sep 2010, 17:42
Must add that a favourite of mine was always FISM to be done quickly after an engine failure:
F Fuel
I Instruments
S Strap in tightly
M Mayday
Then concentrate on landing, find a field, position and all that stuff.

Checkboard
26th Sep 2010, 17:47
TMMMPFISCH

Trim
Mixture
Master
Mags
Primer
Flaps
Fuel
Instruments
Switches
Controls
Hatches & Harnesses.

Pilot DAR
27th Sep 2010, 02:16
Hmmm...

What about "Propeller", "Circuit Breakers", "Landing Gear Selector", "Avionics Master", "Hydraulic Pressure", and "Fire Extinguisher" (for a few)?

Would it be better to use the aircraft specific checklist, which will be provided in the aircraft flight manual, which is required to be aboard?

It is my opinion, that memorizing a list of items which is not aircraft specific, to use in place of the appropriate checklist, is perhaps worse than not using the checklist at all.

Many aircraft have features which involve specific checklist items, Relying on a memory "crutch" in place of the proper checklist is just poor. I'm sure that we pilots would not be at all pleased to learn that the maintainers of our aircraft did not actually use the maintenance checklist provided for the specific aircraft type, but rather just did the inspection from memory from a "generic" aircraft type...We would scoff at them for that, just as they would scoff at us for not checking the landing gear selector down before turning on the master switch.

Rely on the checklist, that was what it was written for...

JTN
27th Sep 2010, 13:04
A couple of posts here really reinforce DAR's point. For example the first "T" for my C172 is "Throttle set 1,800 RPM" ready for the mag check, which Checkboard doesn't include in his list. Funfly's "F" includes fuel pump on. This may well apply to his plane, but of course for mine it doesn't. Surely the moral of the story is to use the specific checklist for the a/c type in question?

AdamFrisch
27th Sep 2010, 13:43
I agree with DAR. Mainly because my memory is so bad I can never remember what the acronyms stand for, so I have to use a checklist.:)

But generally, I do think that even those contain far too much info. Especially the emergency procedures one, where one is supposed to do a million things - time that should be spent looking outside and securing a safe landing, not read from a 15-item checklist. Sure, try a restart if you have the time, but the focus should be elsewhere.

And what's with the neurotic belts and harnesses in every checklist? Do you ever take it off in flight? I don't, so that line is redundant in all the subsequent ones except the pre-startup.

Mark1234
27th Sep 2010, 13:54
I'm not sure I agree (nor strongly disagree!); there are plenty of times when being head down reading a checklist is not really appropriate; pre takeoff is about the only time I consult the printed checklist - having a mnemonic aid / mental checklist for vital actions seems sensible to me for whatever that's worth.

It also depends somewhat upon the aircraft, there is of course a balance to be struck; while there are obviously exceptions, most piston singles are pretty similar. I aim to keep the same 'check' for all of the types I fly; e.g. some have a secondary fuel pump, some do not. Some have wobbly props, some do not - accordingly 'pump' and 'pitch' are in the litany of things I check, where not applicable, it doesn't hurt does it?

I'm rather more strongly opinionated that these things should be 'vital' actions only, not of the 'socks, matching, underwear, clean' flavour of checklist.

SlipSlider
27th Sep 2010, 14:53
And what's with the neurotic belts and harnesses in every checklist? Do you ever take it off in flight? I don't, so that line is redundant in all the subsequent ones except the pre-startup.

.. but passengers sometimes do.

Checkboard
27th Sep 2010, 16:51
Fixed gear, light single aircraft have very little on them which can kill you if you miss it - distraction from the job of flying is the big killer, so a mnemonic check is appropriate.

Complex light aircraft have wheels and more complicated fuel systems, single pilot distraction is still a problem, but a "do list", especially a mechanical one, is appropriate.

Two crew fast aircraft, where a mis-set flap or the like WILL kill you, and you have a second crew member to split the workload - checklists are mandatory.

Horses for courses.

I might also add - it depends upon how often you fly. I have always flown professionally, so the above applies to me - but it would be entirely appropriate to use a checklist if you fly as a hobby.

airpolice
27th Sep 2010, 21:39
Slipslider, You may not take your belt off, but you may not have noticed it catching as you retrieve an item from the back seat.

mad_jock
27th Sep 2010, 23:58
Bloody hell you have the check list, you have a list of useless letters you can't remeber and you have..

Have a play with what ever you think you need before flight.

Have a play with every switch or lever before you go flying and if it all works go flying.

If it doesn't work realise that you need the avionics master turned on to get any of the nav kit checked. Radio still works, you never liked the look of the garmin things anyway

If it still doesn't work say :mad: it and go flying anyway. And be perfectly happy thinking that you really can't be :mad: learning that sodding garmin thing they have installed.

Pilot DAR
28th Sep 2010, 00:57
Well Mad Jock,

I gotta agree with you! I don't have the nerve to advocate here, that a PPRuNer should not use the whole raft of checklists, and other alphabet soup, but an argument can be made!

At some point, you get comfortable with an aircraft type, then a whole class, so that the checklist is kind of engrained, and has been said, if you forget some little thing (like zeroing the fuel computer) your flight will still be a success anyway.

What's more important to me is that however you are doing it, the important things are not being missed. When I fly the MD500 helicopter, I use the checklist absolutely, because I'm just not that current on it. When I fly a single Cessna, other than the Caravan, the checklist just flows from memory. Oh, my 150 does not have a landing gear selector like the 182RG, that's ok. I purposefully spend more time thinking about what I'm doing in the plane, and what I need to be safe doing it, rather than trying to remember jumbled alphabets. If I doubt, I'll use the checklist. Religiously remebering to put the gear down for landing is not the best way to do it, if you're about to land an amphibian on the water. The amphib I fly requires distinct movements of three separate controls to raise or lower the gear. That's hard to forget!

If I'm landing anything on water, are the wheels up? If I'm landing in a confined area, what's the wind, surrounds, slope and surface? I recall after a test flight, landing the wheel ski equipped Citbria back on pavement. It went just fine, but I recalled just afterward that I had not done a prelanding check for "skis up, landing for on a hard surface". They were, but I had not checked. It would have been bad if I'd got that wrong! The Citabria checklist does not have that item, and there was no flight manual supplement, or supplemental checklist for that installation. There is now!

The only mnenonic I have ever actually remembered is "HASEL", and it seems to work well for airwork in any aircraft type. It is a "what are you about to do?" check, not a "what knob does this plane have in it?" exercise. !!!I've had an engine failure - I'm going to put on the fuel pump - but only after I have satisifed myself there is not a fire up/over there! Aircraft type irrelevent, unless it has no aux fuel pump.

So, if you need to ask, you need to use the whole, real checklist for the plane. If you need to use a checklist when the engine suddenly stops, you need more training and practice. If you are comfortable with a means other than the checklist, and don't need to ask, I'm not going to tell you how to fly - you take responsibilty!

SlipSlider
28th Sep 2010, 09:53
Airpolice, we are in agreement. I was making the point that the "hatches and harnesses" check item covers more than just the pilot, and is therefore neither "neurotic" or "redundant" as stated in a previous post.

BackPacker
28th Sep 2010, 10:09
Why are we talking about "harnesses" in the BUMPFFITCHH check, and about "seatbelts" in the HASELL check?

And then BUMPFFITCHH itself. Why do you check mixture and prop (MP), then something else (F), then the fuel pump (F), two other things (IT), and then the carb heat (C). Why not group everything that's engine related with each other (MPFC), and have other groups for airframe (BUHH or even BUSH - S for seatbelts), flight controls (FT) and Instruments?

And that's not the only one. I find myself altering checklists, but also these mnemonics regularly to make them flow better, and to make them consistent with each other.

Intercepted
28th Sep 2010, 12:27
The best way for me to memorise a phone number is to visually remember the pattern of button presses. When I swapped the mnemonics to a visual approach in the cockpit I managed to improve the flow of checks considerably.

I realise this might not won't work for all people and might not work if you fly many different aircraft types, but its worth a try if you struggle to remember that "P" in the BUMPFFITCHH.

Pilot DAR
28th Sep 2010, 13:23
I doubt that you will ever find an approved flight manual which dilutes and confuses their intended procedures with a bunch of very misunderstandable letters. That's why the checklists are written so as to be clear, and concise - and they are Approved!

For those here who aspire to professional flying, why would you accept being taught the wrong way, only to have to undo that training later, and re learn the right way when you go to work right seat.

I can just imagine the pre takeoff pilot briefing.... Captain says: "This will be a departure on runway 30. Once airborne we will TMPFISH, BUMPFISHH, we will not HASEL, but then we will GUMP. Confirm the CODFISH is complete..."

Last week $4000 dollars of damage was done to a two crew aircraft when ground power was put to it, and a pilots had forgotten to turn off something, which then burned out. Pilots and their boss tried to blame the guy with the ground power plug. Ground power guy is not responsible for cockpit checklists, the pilots are! Perhaps the pilots forgot a "P" in "BUMFISH".

I write flight manual supplements, and they are approved. I write and approve placards. Please respect the consideration which has gone into these carefully chosen words, by using them as written..