PDA

View Full Version : Considering a PPL

surfershort
26th Sep 2010, 08:14
Hi all, this is my first post, so please excuse any ignorance.

Ive just spent a few weeks working at Culdrose airbase in Cornwall, as a longtime fan of aviation and a dream of one day becoming a pilot, the constant aviation activity has inspired me to book my first flying lesson at Perranporth airfield.

If i commit to this i know its going to take a lot of money and time away from my family commitments (our first baby due yesterday:)!!!) i havnt told her yet of my quest for the PPL and eventually hopefully a commercial rating......

I just wanted to know from people who have gained the license what to really expect, im 34 years old and im self employed so im flexible with time, i also operate other businesses one of which i aim to sell to finance this dream.

Would love to hear any 'real' advice not just 'follow your dreams'......(my misses is going to need alot of convincing this is a good idea:eek:)

Looking forward to my first flight!:):)

Cheers
Al

jkveenstra
26th Sep 2010, 09:11
Welcome to the forum.

Research the topics. You can find a lot of information about training organizations and what to expect.

If time is a factor, you could consider to gain your PPL in a short period time (3-5 weeks) by flying and studying full time. I did this in de US, but a friend of mine did it in the UK in four weeks.

Just send me a PM, If you need any information about these organizations.

The Heff
26th Sep 2010, 10:46
It doesn't actually need to take a lot of time and money from your family, if time isn't a factor. It really depends on why you want to fly.

Just from your first post, I don't think you've got the determination at the moment to go on to get the CPL. I don't mean this as an insult, but statements like "eventually" and "hopefully" make the subject appear to be something you'd like to do, but aren't too bothered if you don't achieve it.

So if you're just flying for leisure, then there is no hurry to get your licence, and your training can take a back-seat now and then when other commitments start to get overwhelming (This would be a good argument to convince the War Office that getting a PPL isn't such a terrible idea).
There's the other argument that if you're only flying for leisure, there's no great hurry for money; so you can keep hold of your other business, which will make it easier to continue to fund your flying post-PPL.

After getting your licence, you may decide that you do REALLY want to earn your living as a commercial pilot, and then statements like "hopefully" and "eventually" and "dream" will just disappear. When that happens is when you can start discussing plans with the War Office about selling up one or both of your businesses.

Once again, I'm not trying to insult you or detract you from your dream. But if your ambition is to be a professional pilot, then time and money become more pressing factors and convincing the War Office becomes a helluva lot more difficult.

On a lighter note, enjoy your first flight! :cool::ok:

vanHorck
26th Sep 2010, 10:48
At 34 you are at a disadvantage against younger students if you want to make it your profession. You might get to Captain on an A319 at Easyjet but you re unlikely to make it to captain on a 747-400 before you retire if you start the career at 36...

The best type of learning is full time courses but you need to be able to take a good year off work and it costs a bundle.

Are you chasing a dream? You own several businesses, as a commercial pilot you ll be employed by someone else..... Sure you want that?

Perhaps get your PPL followed by a multi engine rating and an Instrument Rating and build your businesses in such a way you can justify flying yourself to your customers.....

(second Dutchman to reply..... we are opinionated people.... :ok: )

surfershort
26th Sep 2010, 11:21
Thanks for your advice guys, the reason i was using 'hopefully' and 'eventually' for the commercial rating was that i would only pursue the commercial route if it was finanacially viable for me ie: my other business gave me enough surplus cash.

I guess you do get alot of 'blinded by passion' wannabe pilots but its something ive wanted for a very long time. A friend of mine sold his company in his early forties and is now working for i think Air SouthWest flying Dash 8s.

I guess i best have my first lesson before visions of grandeur creep in at this stage. Ill let you know how my first flight goes.

Cheers

surfershort
26th Sep 2010, 15:46
Thats funny you said you tire of aviation, my mate who flies the Dash8s said that hes tired of it and would prefer to do my job (im a carpenter) yet the thought for me carrying on working with wood fills me with dread, wish there was an option to just swap jobs!

Ive been unable to lay this ambition to rest for a long time, and im now prepared to throw some money at it to see how i get on, i can always fall back on the carpentry to keep the family happy.

Ive founded and sold two businesses out of my two other passions surfing and music festivals........my third passion is to fly.!

ChasG
28th Sep 2010, 06:58
There is also the problem of the weather - out of 8 lessons booked in the last 4 weeks all but 3 have been cancelled due to the wind, rain, goats on the track etc. Very frustrating ! You are in a better position though in being able to take time off at short notice. Good luck with it.

AdamFrisch
28th Sep 2010, 07:04
If you can somehow make a good living running businesses not related to aviation, I'd go that route. That means that you can, if you do well, own your own plane, use it for business and get all the enjoyment of flying with a purpose, without the hassle and nightmare and 15 year slog to get to be an airline captain. It's a win-win.