PDA

View Full Version : London Airfields

long final
7th Nov 2001, 15:21
I am planning a trip to London soon and would like some advise re. airfields, their facilities ( overnight parking etc ) and most importantly transfer time/costs to the city centre.

I would be arriving from the North, and so far Denham, Elstree and Stapleford appear to be the best bet - but any advise re any field would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Regards
LF

[ 07 November 2001: Message edited by: long final ]

Final 3 Greens
7th Nov 2001, 18:55
Long Final

If you are looking at Stapleford, suggest you have a look at North Weald too.

You can get a taxi to the tube station at Epping or the mainline station at Harlow and be in London about 60-70 mins after touchdown.

North Weald Airfield
Epping
Essex CM16 6AA
England
+44 (0) 1992 524510

Stampe
7th Nov 2001, 19:39
Rochester 5mins taxi to station regular fast trains to Victoria 45 minutes.Grass runways(poss waterlogging check before dep.) with lights.Good hotel on airfield even better on 2mins walk.!!

AC-DC
7th Nov 2001, 21:25
I think that Elstree is your best bet. It is the nearest to Central London and very close to the Northern and the Jubilee lines. Make sure to have your PPR.

Small Pilot
7th Nov 2001, 21:30
You could try Southend. Open 24hrs, ILS, NDB, radar, etc. 45 mins to Liverpool Street by train, station 5 mins away by taxi.

Bluebeard
7th Nov 2001, 21:37
LF

Elstree is a pretty good bet (its more or less my home airfield), its about a 15 min taxi ride to either Edgware or Stanmore tube, or about the same to Elstree BR which gets you into St. Pancras. Can't stress the PPR element enough, Elstree has a lot of problems with NIMBYs and ATC will deliver a sound bollocking if you don't follow the rules.

Have a good trip.

BB

Fuji Abound
8th Nov 2001, 01:48
Agree with the postings regarding Elstree - I would only add just dropped a friend and copilot there last week who was going into the City. He said it was 10 mins in the taxi and 20 mins on BR. Good airport and friendly AG despite some previous comments to the contrary.

A and C
8th Nov 2001, 02:01
booker 10 min in taxi 50 min to london on the train white waltham much the same.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
8th Nov 2001, 10:49
Denham. Just a very nice airfield!

PS (Pretty close to the Railway line)

long final
15th Nov 2001, 00:39
Thanks all for the posts - I would have replied earlier - been busy - I think Elstree problaby sounds best for me, hope to try next Monday.
Regards.
LF
;)