PDA

View Full Version : UK - Attendance at ATC/Tower

ANewHope-Ful
21st Sep 2010, 16:21
Afternoon all, as you can tell I only recently found the board, and would like to say its an excellent resource :)

Im in th eprocess of applying via NATS for a TATCO posting, and am very aware of the need to be seen to be keen and to be doing research, to that end Im looking to attend a centre or a tower in the near future (as per the question)

Living in Somerset my nearest Towers are really Exeter and Bristol. While I have no problem with travelling afield if neccessery I think I'd like to try there first. Can anyone relate any story of getting to view either of these? Or any general advice? The letter I have composed mentions the fact I already hold a goverment security clearance above that required by NATS (Im an MOD employee) and I hope that this may way in my favour, and has been addressed to the General Manager of Air Traffic Services.

Can anyone suggest anything I might like to include? Or a way to go about this differently that might garner more success? Thanks to anyone who can provide any assistance :)

ANH-F

Sir Herbert Gussett
21st Sep 2010, 16:31
Bristol's ATC is done by NATS anyway so write to the General Manager there saying you're applying to NATS and would like a nosey around. No need for all this security-cleared because you work in the MoD nonsense .... They will probably just ask for your passport or other form of photo ID on the day.

ANewHope-Ful
21st Sep 2010, 16:32
Fair enough, thanks for the help... I shall carry on and send off this letter. Appreciated :)

Sir Herbert Gussett
21st Sep 2010, 16:42
Ensure you clearly mention you are applying for NATS and there shouldn't be any problems.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Sep 2010, 16:47
<<Im in the process of applying via NATS for a TATCO posting>>

Errr... that dosn't sound quite right. You will, presumably, be applying to NATS for a position as a Student Air Traffic Controller. A great deal of work is involved before you think about a posting.

Good luck....

ANewHope-Ful
21st Sep 2010, 16:49
My mistake, not sure why I said posting to be honest... I just meant to say post. Yes youre absolutly right that theres ALOT of work to come before that stage!

Standard Noise
21st Sep 2010, 16:57
HD - bit harsh old bean, their pay scale is the TATC scale so he wasn't far off, just one letter too many.

ANewHope-Ful - PM on the way.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Sep 2010, 18:01
SN... But Student Air Traffic Controller is the description used by NATS, me old mate, me old beauty....

ANewHope-Ful
21st Sep 2010, 18:03
According to the advert I responded too, the term that was used is Trainee ATC... so is that not the correct term?

Glamdring
21st Sep 2010, 18:15
Once at the college you are a TATC until you pass a course and gain your student licence. You are then a Student ATCO until you validate.

Will_McKenzie
21st Sep 2010, 18:56
Interestingly enough if you end up at a smaller unit on posting you take home less than you would at the college!

As for visiting towers/centres I wouldn't be overly concerned by it. When i was going through the interview process I wasn't asked anything other than what was given via email. They were more bothered about finding out about me and my experiences rather than what i learnt about the job prior to that. That being said I don't know what the whole process now is like (in round 3 we had ATC and HR, i hear it is only HR now who interview in round 3)

I did visit to a tower and Swanwick centre during my courses in my free time just to see what it is like which was organised through instructors at the college and all the controllers that I spoke to were extremely helpful in answering anything I wanted to know about.

Good luck with the process though!!

Minesthechevy
22nd Sep 2010, 05:34
<< (in round 3 we had ATC and HR, i hear it is only HR now who interview in round 3) >>

So it appears that the lunatics have yet again taken over the asylum.......

Gonzo
22nd Sep 2010, 13:22
HD, Trainee ATCOs is the correct term, has been for a few years.

Ivor_Novello
22nd Sep 2010, 16:08
Honestly... yet another thread of simple question followed by 12 useless replies.
(13 now with mine ;))

novation
25th Sep 2010, 09:16
ANH-F - You're letter will be fine, no probs. When I was at the college about 5 years ago I was a TATC but it's irrelevant. I looked at the NATS website and there's no reason why you'd know this. Enthusiasm is the key here and with that in mind I'd suggest visiting either Swanwick or Prestwick centre as well; won't do your application any harm.

novation
25th Sep 2010, 09:21
Sorry, should have said; follow everything up with an e-mail.

ANewHope-Ful
25th Sep 2010, 09:35
Good advice :) When you say follow it up with an email, you mean as thanks?

novation
25th Sep 2010, 09:44
No probs, what I mean is send your letter electronically as well as in the post. To be honest, the way NATS works now you might as well just send an e-mail, but send both. At least with an e-mail you know they've received it.