PDA

View Full Version : French ATC strike - potential effects ?

anengineer
21st Sep 2010, 10:27
Hi,

I'm due to travel back to BRS on Thurs from AGP (Malaga), and have just had an email from Easyjet notifying me of the proposed industrial action on Thurs. Not knowing much about the routing between AGP and BRS, what potential problems could this create for me ? Would it be likely that the flight would just be re-routed out into the Atlantic for a bit, to avoid French airspace, or is it a case of 'knock on effects everywhere and all hell breaks loose' ? I'm just trying to prepare the best I can for any possible long delay.

Cheers !

Goldilocks95
21st Sep 2010, 14:14
I would expect a very long delay. From past experience of the french going on strike, typical slots were anything from 30 mins to 2.5/3hrs. Could be lucky but i would be VERY suprised.

heidelberg
21st Sep 2010, 20:45
Didn't know of French ATC strike until I came across this thread.
Am flying with EI from DUB to AGP this Thursday.
I suppose I can expect some delay?
Anyone out there with 'inside' info?

boredcounter
22nd Sep 2010, 05:03
As indicated by anengineer, from/to DUB and BRS, I would hope your flights are routed 'Oceanic' via the airway T9. It avoids France all together. Subject to routings to join and exit T9 it should be more 'economic' to the Airline than building knock on delays.

That said, Airlines must be approved to use T9 (MNPS) and the operating aircraft must be capable (HF radio fitted and serviceable).

Should be a breeze, I go back to work tonight, all mine from Iberia and the one from North Africa will come back that way.

However, please do not shout at the poor ground staff, T9 can not accept as many aircraft as a 'normal' airway, so it may still be subject to slots if too many Airlines dodge the frogs that way.

Best of luck to you,

Bored

papabravowhiskey
22nd Sep 2010, 08:47
We received emails and texts yesterday from Ryanair cancelling our flights on Thursday 23rd and offering free transfers to other flights or refunds. I know that French ATC has been involved in strike action over the past week or so, but Thursday 23rd will be a wider, co-ordinated, public sector strike.

Regards
PBW

heidelberg
22nd Sep 2010, 21:30
Interesting to see Ryanair and Aer Lingus have not cancelled any flights DUB/AGP Thursday 23rd.
I'm on the AL flight and have fingers crossed!!!!
100's of flights to/from French airports cancelled - no surprise there.

However I have one complaint re AL's website response to the strike - nada mention of it and in fairness to Ryanair they have it highlighted.

It is possible to enter a French flight number on the AL site to find it is cancelled but this is not good enough because if one did not realise there was a French ATC strike one would not know until one got to the airport - at least in DUB - that the flight was cancelled.

Full marks to Ryanair the way they highlight the strike on their opening page of their site.

heidelberg
23rd Sep 2010, 23:25
Our flight time was 2hrs 45mins. More or less the same if we used the usual route through French airspace - I think.
We were 45 mins late due to a pax who unfortunately took ill after the doors closed just before push back at DUB.
The Captain did say we would be routed further west than usual to avoid French airspace.
I'm very surprised our flight time was not more than 2. 45?