PDA

View Full Version : New Hires at AC?

Dropp the Pilot
20th Sep 2010, 10:33
A little birdy said hiring is about to begin again. Can someone in-the-know describe:

-what equipment one would likely begin on
-where one would likely need to reside
-salary for the first three years or so

ta

YHZ
26th Sep 2010, 22:51
Thats good news that AC is hiring, maybe I will get a shot at the interview if I dont pass then I can quit dreaming. A quick question fellows if you dont mind. The career page says min 1000 hrs. , but what are they actually looking for to be competitive? Thanks alot

El_Duderino
26th Sep 2010, 23:03
I know the last hiring wave had guys who had anywhere between 2500-10000 hours.

a330pilotcanada
27th Sep 2010, 00:54
Although very unofficial on the next list over fifty pilots are posted inactive for example retirement, disability etc.
There is a capability to hire over fifty pilots and this is with a reduction on all B-767 First Officer positions and B-767 Relief Pilot positions.
Getting hired is like winning the lottery (without the cash at first) but through time you will advance to what ever position you want to be in that your seniority will allow.
There are two schools of thought in the airline world; one is bid everything to the bottom for the most junior position on the biggest aircraft you can hold. Up side is you get the opportunity to fly the bigger aircraft early. Downside is you are on reserve think of the Maytag repairman short calls, no choice for vacation, not very conducive for home life.
Stay senior on junior rated positions. Up side your choice of working conditions, vacation, days off (never miss your children's birthday parties) down side you do not get on the larger aircraft earlier.
After saying that in your career you will become senior before you know it but enjoy the ride and if you are given lemons make lemonade...

North of Somewhere
27th Sep 2010, 03:51
Sniff....sniff......????? Humph...... It's starting to smell like AvCan@d@ around here. Don't let it happen here pls.

:=

bcflyer
27th Sep 2010, 14:07
Actually it was a reduction in the 767 F/O's and an increase in 767 RP's...

Thunderpants
30th Sep 2010, 19:20
Any idea what their UPPER hiring age is for either S/O or F/O's?

Thanks,

YHZ
2nd Oct 2010, 10:30
A330 that's pretty good 50 pilots or so, I wonder how many thousands of applications are there for these 50 positions hahaha. Does being type rated on an aircraft that AC operates help or they don't really care, I fly the 320 on the other side of the pond?

bcflyer
2nd Oct 2010, 16:13
Having time on type doesn't really matter that much as you will likely not be flying the A320 if you got hired anyway.
Where it will help you is on the matrix that determines who gets interviews.. It takes into account a multitude of things including time on transport category jets.

Good luck to all who have applied.

P.S. I don't think there is an upper end for age. After all, that would be age discrimination and as has been pounded into our heads on another thread, that is illegal in Canada.....

OverUnder
3rd Oct 2010, 00:49
Any idea what their UPPER hiring age is for either S/O or F/O's?

Right now, it is 60, but that is about to change.

By the way, we don't have any S/O's. Did you mean R/P's?

Thunderpants
3rd Oct 2010, 03:30
Yes, guess I ment F/O's and R/P's.

I have around 4800 hrs tt, around half of which is glass cockpit turbine with over 1000 turbine pic. Of course I have put my resume in along with the other 4000+, but as a guy who's old enough to know better but still young enough not to care, I'm just curious as to what you think the upper age at which guys are generally asked in for the interviews. Do the lovely people in the HR dept. at AC have a cut off where the candidate is considered 'Over the hill'?

Many Thanks!

OverUnder
3rd Oct 2010, 05:20
I'm just curious as to what you think the upper age at which guys are generally asked in for the interviews.

I don't know whether you noticed or not, assuming that you completed the on-line application form, but age is not even on the form.

It is not there for a reason. In the mid-'80s, a number of pilots seeking employment with Air Canada took Air Canada to the Human Rights Tribunal on an age discrimination complaint. The Tribunal forced Air Canada to stop discriminating on the basis of age for hiring. Air Canada never gives up easily--it took that decision to appeal and lost, big time.

Age discrimination for hiring is illegal in all of the federal jurisdiction in Canada, as it is for all of the employment relationship, including, according to the Human Rights Tribunal as of 2009, mandatory retirement. So, not only can Air Canada not ask you to tell them your age, they cannot not hire you because of your age.

There is a lot more to this issue, but for your purposes, that information should answer your question. Enjoy your interview.

Lost in Saigon
3rd Oct 2010, 06:12
I don't believe there is an upper age restriction at Air Canada. The oldest I know to be pilots to be hired were in their 40's.

El_Duderino
3rd Oct 2010, 20:00
I have heard that AC has started calling people for interviews. Does anyone know what kind of experience the guys getting called have?

spinmaster
4th Oct 2010, 09:39
Hi all,
when are the interviews being held, ie how much notice do they provide?

Next point, what type of questions they ask at the interview? have tried searching around, but everything seems out of date.

YYZBeacher
4th Oct 2010, 18:06
Yup, the median age if you talk to recruitment for hiring with us over the last 3 intakes is 34-35, so it takes some guts to get on-board with the first 2 years' washers paid until year 3 kicks in.

Youngest hire I know of late is on the EMBs at late 20s - 27/28 - the son of a B767 Captain - but with good Caribbean propjet experience under his belt and a former Webster trophy winner.

Likely just over 50 inactives on the list as someone else mentioned here...

Anything else, you can PM me.

Doesn't smell like AvCanada from where I sit - yet... ;)

kesskidi
16th Oct 2010, 03:43
This question about age is always strange and that's a good thing AC hasn't the right to ask applicant's age. Those for who aviation is a second career choice (me, & others) wouldn't have a chance to progress. But I'm realizing now that passed mid 30's and shy to 2000TT will naturally close few doors.:suspect:

clunckdriver
16th Oct 2010, 13:04
Over Under/Ray, In fact the medical requires you to state your age when in the selection chain at AC, to withold or falsify this info would methinks cause a wee bit of a problem, but then Im not a lawyer, maybe with your legal qualifictions you might like to expand on this.

engfireleft
16th Oct 2010, 13:45
Clunk

Why do you assume anybody who knows something about age discrimination laws in this country and can communicate it effectively in a coherent, grammatically correct sentence with no spelling mistakes is Ray Hall?

clunckdriver
16th Oct 2010, 14:07
Because he is the only pilot with proper spelin!

a330pilotcanada
16th Oct 2010, 17:24
Good Afternoon Clunkdriver:
Believe it or not some of us did not pursue law and being a liberal arts kind of guy I am amused that you would have the insolence to suggest that it is only lawyers know grammar and spelling...................:O:O
With regards to a previous poster who suggested something about RAY767 in a new package read Over/Under we should remind ourselves that he was kicked off to A.C.P.A. Forum (which is now closed to the venomous milieu that was created by some of his postings and others), AvCanada removed his privileges (it is not a right but a privilege to be able to post your thoughts) and now PPRune. Ask yourself this without any passion why did three separate forums remove his privileges?
Not being conversant with the protocols of being a moderator but if three independent forums removed his privilege there must have been a serious issue. This type of posting will be discussed many times but hopefully in a cerebral mode as opposed to the emotional side.

Mechanic787
16th Oct 2010, 20:07
AvCanada removed his privileges (it is not a right but a privilege to be able to post your thoughts) and now PPRune. Ask yourself this without any passion why did three separate forums remove his privileges?

You might want to bring yourself up to date. AvCanada evidently renewed his access, as he posted again there a short while ago.

With regard to the ACPA issues including his removal from their discussion forum, my intuition tells me that we haven't heard the final word on that one yet, either. Generally, I have found that lawyers don't give up easily, and there has been some mention of a criminal investigation being conducted into the decision by ACPA to suspend his access to their meetings, on-line and otherwise.

a330pilotcanada
18th Oct 2010, 02:00
Good Evening Mechanic 787:
Thank you for the update as I was not aware that he was allowed back on.
A question or two for you. If one is retired (myself included) do I still have a right to attend meetings? To me I consider this presumptuous as union dues are not being paid as I am no longer an active pilot?
What juris prudence would support a criminal investigation into suspending access to someone who is no longer a member of an association?
Since the A.C.P.A. forum was not accessible to the general public being a private domain how can criminal charges be applied and under what grounds?
As we know he was banned from PPRune how can they not be charged for the same as mentioned above?
I am not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination but I would like to see your thoughts on this and if you can please feel free to pass on any references as I have bad cold and I will out of action for a few days.
Thanks in advance for the clarifications of the above

Mechanic787
18th Oct 2010, 04:54
A question or two for you.

Sorry, I don't have the answer to your questions. Perhaps someone who is a member of that union could enlighten us both.