PDA

View Full Version : Affordaplane

J.A.F.O.
19th Sep 2010, 19:03
Does anyone have any knowledge and experience of the Affordaplane.

It's just SSDR and looks like fun.

A_Pommie
20th Sep 2010, 12:21
I have a had a look at this and even downloaded the plans (well they only cost 12 quid so why not). There is a yahoo group called cheaper aircraft (or something similar) where they get a lot of stick and there is always a lot of discussion about if they will fly or not. Also the weight is very close and most of the people on cheaper aircraft seem to be struggling to keep the weight down. Personally I think you would struggle to make one SSDR compliant. It might be possible using the wankel engine that the escape kid uses but then thats not cheap by anybodies reckoning.
There are other Part 103 ultralites that might transfer over to SSDR but the American system is a lot more flexible than the UK system and there is a lot more middle of nowhere for people to play in away from the eyes of the FAA.
There is an SSDR section on the BMAA forum where this sort of thing gets discussed a lot.
I wonder if the beastie that Bill Brookes designed for Scap heap challenge is SSDR compliant. Built in two days by three people, can't be bad.

charliegolf
20th Sep 2010, 13:05
JAFO, have you checked the wing area? Lots of the FAR 103s make the weight, but don't have the area to carry the 10kg/m^2.

Just a thought.

CG

J.A.F.O.
20th Sep 2010, 21:32
CG

That's a good point, I think it's actually a fairly close run thing. I've seen the wing area listed as 123 sq ft which is right on the limit - I'd have to measure it very carefully.

Cheers

A_Pommie
21st Sep 2010, 11:28
Of course the other answer is a RANS s4/5. Its not SSDR but at £2-3K you could barely by an engine and you get a complete aircraft.

A and C
21st Sep 2010, 12:19
Is that the one that is built from unobtainium?