PDA

View Full Version : Popham to Cardiff

Dude~
31st Oct 2001, 20:33
slightly odd question here, but I could use a second oppinion on my route planning...

I might be missing something obvious but I cant see a simple route to Cardiff from Popham. Having never flown that way I am unsure about the yeovilton AIAA. Is it usually possible to cross this without delays? Otherwise I guess I would have have to either route to the south and talk to Yeovilton or plough through Bristol class D.

As for leaving Popham, shall I plan to go south of, north of or through Middle Wallop and Boscombe Down?

Any thoughts of the route will be gratefully received!

topunicyclist
31st Oct 2001, 21:28
If it's an AIAA, wouldn't they have a LARS service you could make use of? And if they are not providing LARS, I would assume (though check with Yeovilton by phone beforehand) the AIAA is not particularly active at that time.

The Flying I
1st Nov 2001, 00:18
Either route N or S of the danger areas is OK - you don't need permission to cross the AIAA - just call Yeovil Radar 127.35 and give them your route and they just note it for their traffic - if no answer, don't worry, often closed at weekends.
Lyneham are very good if you go northern route.
If it's weekend, call v. early and ask Lyneham how high the danger areas go - often it's just 3000' at weekends and you can go over the top but keep clear of Netheravon.

Mariner9
1st Nov 2001, 13:33
I'd go the northern route personally. Lyneham are excellent, never yet had a Averbury-Chippenham CTR transit refused.
You should then route to the Severn Bridge and follow the Welsh coast past Newport to Cardiff Bay. Ask Cardiff approach for a standard VFR join via Cardiff Docks. Route towards Barry (not above 1500')and you'll be handed off to Tower early & given a right base join for 30/ left downwind join for 12.

If you do go the southern route, and 30 is in use at Cardiff, you will probably be requested to cross the Severn at Weston Supermare, remaining clear of the Bristol CTA, and to the East of Flat Holm. Altitude is again restricted to 1500', which is a bit low for my liking for a wideish river crossing, hence my preference for the northern route.

Ask to be 'handled' by the flying club on the south side...it'll save you a few quid.

And watch out for all the BA Jumbos parked on taxiway Echo - I think about 7 are there at the moment!

Enjoy the flight! :)

Dude~
1st Nov 2001, 17:23
thanks very much flying I and Mariner, some very useful comments there.

I was aware of the LARS service. just wondering if anyone had experienced delays in using it.

ta

DOC.400
2nd Nov 2001, 22:40
Some good advice above!

Popham-Cardiff -now THERE is an interesting trip. W/e's I'd go direct track after checking D128 closed, but u may wish to route via Stonehenge for some interest(talk to Thruxton!)Also the route down the A303 is good. Weekdays I'd be tempted to get an overhead at Boscombe (usually possible, but they may be busy at the moment!) Sometimes they offer a low level route (not > 500' down the railway line -that's fun!) Then talk to Yeovilton for a LARS. On initial call, callsign, then ASK for LARS and FIS, then they will know exactly what u want.

Have fun!

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
2nd Nov 2001, 22:47
Yep I fly from the Boscombe area and the above post is spot on. You can x the MATZ above Boscombe or get a transit service. I alwyas go through Bristol CTZ no problem if you can get above 3000 ft you have more chance of a direct routing. Never had any delays going through bristol or boscome. though the rt can be moving quite fast on some days.

CaptAirProx
5th Nov 2001, 13:11
I believe Boscombe have closed the 'low level' route since September. Their excuse being its too close to Porton Down which is quite sensitve at the mo (where they test/store anthrax et all!). I also think Boscombe have got fed up with the weekenders just blundering down the railway line not talking to anyone and bust both Boscombe and Old Sarums atz's, both are active at weekends. If you want to check the danger areas on the plain listen to 122.750. Its an ATIS type recorded message of the activity of D123/124/125 etc at weekends. Remember you can always route over Boscombe above 2000'agl at weekends without any probs, or indeed anytime of the week. Just ask Boscombe. They do like to keep the overhead clear up to FL070 if they can cos their fast jets like to blat in low-level then pull up to dissipate the energy for a dead stick landing. Can end up very high! Wish we could do that!