PDA

View Full Version : IMC renewal - written exam???

aztec25
31st Oct 2001, 00:49
Can anyone clarify please?
I sit my IMC renewal flight test this weekend. This will be about two weeks after my previous 25 months IMC rating expired. Do I need to re-take the written exam as my flight test will be after the expiry date.
Thanks

Fuji Abound
31st Oct 2001, 02:12
If I understand your question correctly you have been granted an IMC rating having previously passed both the flight test and the exam. In these circumstances whether or not you take the renewal within or beyond the 25 months I do not believe there is any requirement to take the exam again. If however you have not had the rating entered on your license previously then I gather you must pass the exam within 12 months of passing the flight test.

CaptAirProx
31st Oct 2001, 03:05
Fuji is correct. The written is for initial issue only. Once you got it a flight test is all that is repuired to renew. I seem to remember from CAP53 that if you let it lapse by more than 5 years then you have to do trainig as per the CFI's discretion then the retest, but can't confirm this without the doc in front of me. Remember the IMC is a UK rating so in effect CAP53 details on this subject are still correct.

aztec25
1st Nov 2001, 01:08
Thanks for your help. Now for that flight test!
Cheers

Bouncy Landing
4th Nov 2001, 01:39
My IMC is more than 5 years lapsed and CAA have told me I have to do "training to CFIs discretion", pass flight test AND resit ground exam. I believe that if it is less than 5 years old, then only flight test is requied.

BEagle
4th Nov 2001, 21:30
According to the FE's handbook, Table 2B (Note 2):

"Expired rating: If rating expired by more than 5 years then training at CFI's discretion required plus full IMC Rating test. Logbook and Form FCL 99 sent to FCLD."

There is nothing about having to sit the written exam again - if anyone tells you there is, quote the above and ask them to quote their reference to you. If your Rating has expired between 25 months and 5 years, I guess you just have to do the test and you can be signed up as soon as you've passed.

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Chilli Monster
4th Nov 2001, 22:37
I renewed mine 3 months after it expired - all I had to do was a flight test which I also managed to use as my 'JAR instructed hour' for my PPL revalidation :)

CM