PDA

View Full Version : EUROPA MOTOR GLIDER

highwingloader
30th Oct 2001, 20:27
I have been keen to acquire my own aeroplane (probably sharing with no more than 3 others) for some time. Inevitably, I want to keep the costs down and so serious IFR cruisers are not on my radar.

I looked at a couple of Luscombes but I couldn't bring myself to buy something that was even older than I was. Battered old 152s also failed to appeal as I do value being on this planet.

I recently read a report about the Europa motor glider. I have to say, I was very impressed. It seemed to offer the combination of things I was looking for. New and shared between 4, you are looking at about 10 grand a piece. Quite affordable. Not bad for a brand new aeroplane. 2.2 gph and 130kt cruise also looked good. 1100fpm with the engine on and a 27:1 glide ratio with the engine off also appeared impressive.

Does anyone have any experience of this type? I realise that they come in 10,000 pieces and constructing the thing would represent a serious challenge but, as the nights draw in, I can't help dreaming about what could be, next summer.

Any thoughts?

Genghis the Engineer
30th Oct 2001, 21:24
I've neither flown nor built one, but have spoken to a few people who have. The word on the street is that it's an excellent performing and handling aeroplane with rather difficult ground handling.

For a fairly complex composite aircraft like that I'd budget 2000 man-hours to build it, and make sure you have a dry warm hangar to put it in when you've finished. Composite aircraft have a marked aversion to being parked outdoors too much.

G

QNH 1013
30th Oct 2001, 22:51
Genghis, I hadn't realised that composite a/c didn't like living outside. In my ignorance I had assumed they would be ok, after all Reliant Robins don't seem to get any worse when left outside. Mind you, I've never taken much notice of Reliant Robins. Can you explain exactly what goes wrong with composite a/c in the English outdoors?
To add to the thread, I'm not sure that the Europa M/G has been UK approved yet, but a phone call to the factory will tell you. If you have not tried a Europa then they can arrange a demo flight at one of the roadshows that Europa do around the country in the summer. Think they charge about £40 which is deductible if you then order a kit at any time in the future. A phone call will get you more accurate info.
I have been impressed with all the Europas I've flown in, but I would rather have a conventional taildragger gear arrangement.

Genghis the Engineer
31st Oct 2001, 00:15
It's called "Hot-wet degradation", it happens worse in a warm environment, but it's still a problem in the UK. Essentially the Matrix (that is the non-fibrous part of the composite) absorbs moisture - 6-10kg is possible for a Europa sized aircraft in one year in the British weather, I've seen it happen.

The effects of this can be: -

- Overweight / out of CG aircraft
- Cracking on exposure to sub-zero temperatures
- Corrosion of embedded metal components.
- Loss of mechanical strength.
- Rotting of any embedded wooden structural members.

Don't panic about leaving composite aircraft out for a few days or weeks, but permanently it needs to be in a dry environment. Some aircraft will tolerate it reasonably well, but if I was spending £40k+ on a Europa, I'd jolly well want to protect my investment.

And bear in mind that a Reliant Robin only has a composite body, not composite primary structure.

G

QNH 1013
31st Oct 2001, 01:42
Thanks Genghis ! That was all new to me.

highwingloader
31st Oct 2001, 13:49
Thanks chaps. I did wonder about manoeuvering on the ground. Apart from a rather hefty application of the appropriate boot, how do you conduct ground manoeuvres? The MG only has a mono wheel (with brake). I wonder if this is a serious problem. I would need to be able to steer the aircraft fairly accurately on the ground to get it into my hangar/barn. Comment?

adriannorris
31st Oct 2001, 17:34
Apart from a rather hefty application of the appropriate boot, how do you conduct ground manoeuvres?

Plan ahead! And when you get it wrong, get out and push - as nonchalantly as possible!

Unfortunately nochalance isn't always easy, especially when you have backtracked for takeoff and then not left enough room to turn round! It's happened to me in a Falke motor glider... it does at least keep the spectators entertained! :)

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Inelegant Aeros ]

I have control
31st Oct 2001, 20:03
If you've got 4 shareholders at £10K apiece, I think you can do better than a Europa motorglider.

With £40K in my pocket I'd definitely be thinking about an RV-4 or RV-6/7. Wonderful "All things to all men" airplanes.

highwingloader
31st Oct 2001, 20:11
OK, convince me.......... Is there a web site?

Skylark4
31st Oct 2001, 23:35
Hangarage
Don`t forget that the Europa is the only aircraft I know of which borrows from generations of Glider experience and is quickly and easily de-rigged. Two people can get a Europa from the inside of a road trailer to 2000` in less than 15 minutes.

Mike W

I have control
1st Nov 2001, 03:29
Vans Aircraft (http://vansaircraft.com)

There are over 2700 RVs flying around the world, thousands more under construction.

Generally, unless you have an obsessive desire to build your own airplane, I would look around for a low time used version. There are plenty of them around, usually they go for about the same price as the kit plus engine & avionics (ie the labour you get for free). Prices for RV4s and 6s (no 7s on the used market yet) range from the late 20Ks up to the 60s and beyond for really nice examples.

I'm not sure but think I read somewhere that only the RV4 was certified for aerobatics in the UK, not the 6. You could find out for sure on the PFA website pfa (http://pfa.org.uk) which is your prime resource for homebuilding in the UK.

highwingloader
2nd Nov 2001, 16:26
Once again, I am most grateful for all the advice. Do any of you know anyone with a Europa (or I might have a look at the Vans) in Southern UK. I would happily travel to anywhere south of Birmingham. And a flight would be even better. I could offer an interesting 'swap' for the privilege.

[ 02 November 2001: Message edited by: highwingloader ]