PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory and then SEIR?

RTN11
16th Sep 2010, 14:33
I'm in the increasingly common situation of having completed my ATPL(A) theory, then doing the CPL(A), but since there are no airline jobs currently getting an FI(A) rather than an IR(A).

I now have about 18 months until my ATPL(A) groundschool expires, so I am looking to get an IR(A) to lock it in for 7 years. I can't find anything in the legislation that the IR(A) needs to be in a multi engine aircraft, only that a CPL and IR must be completed within 36 months. Since an SEIR(A) would be much cheaper, and could have the same effect of locking the groundschool for 7 years, it is well worth pursuing.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

lasseb
17th Sep 2010, 10:33
SE-IR is good enough to lock the ATPL theory...You don't need ME...

FlyingStone
17th Sep 2010, 12:10
It's pretty self-explaining:

JAR–FCL 1.495 Acceptance period
(a) A pass in the theoretical knowledge
examinations given in accordance with JAR–FCL
1.490 will be accepted for the grant of the
CPL(A) or IR(A) during the 36 months from the
date of gaining a Pass in all the required
examination papers.
(b) Provided that an IR(A) is obtained in
accordance with (a) above, a pass in the
ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examination will
remain valid for a period of 7 years from the last
validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL(A)
for the issuance of an ATPL(A).

So you have 7 years after the date your IR(A) (JAR doesn't care if it is single or multi-engine) has expired to complete all the requirements fo ATPL(A) - or simply just renew your IR(A) rating.

BitMoreRightRudder
17th Sep 2010, 14:16
Ok but if you do intend to fly airline/nearly any public transport ops in your career you will need a MEIR. So does the cost saving you obtain now by completing a SEIR weigh up when you consider you will then have to go and pay for a MEIR upgrade?