PDA

View Full Version : FAA - checkout in type, who can do?

AdamFrisch
16th Sep 2010, 02:04
How does this work? my Google-Fu is weak and nothing comes up.

Say I buy a new aircraft that I haven't flown before. Can anyone with experience in that aircraft check me out, or does it have to some kind of official dude, CFI etc?

Katamarino
16th Sep 2010, 10:23
Assuming it comes under your standard ASEL rating, and you have your complex/high performance endorsements if required, I don't believe the FARs require any checkout at all. Your insurance company might, but I imagine that they'd be able to advise you exactly what was required.

If you just want to do it for personal due diligence, then it's up to you of course to nominate whoever you feel is suitable!

I am not an expert, though, and have not checked this in the FARs recently.

172driver
16th Sep 2010, 11:32
Katamarino is correct. If you have the required license and (if applicable) endorsements (e.g. complex, high power, etc.), then you don't need a formal 'check-out' by anyone if the a/c falls within the privileges this license confers (e.g. single engine land).

If, as you say, you BUY an a/c, then most likely the insurance company will have something to say.

If you RENT, then it's up to the owner of the a/c, as you certainly know, most likely a BFR-style checkout.

If you BORROW someone's a/c, then he/she can 'check' you out, provided the insurance co is OK with you flying the thing (and/or being named on the insurance).

Bottom line is that it's the insurance company who dictates who can do what in which a/c, whether renting or buying.

MikeNYC
16th Sep 2010, 20:19
All true, as long as the airplane is:
a) Under 12,500lbs
b) Doesn't require a type rating from the FAA (Some planes under 12,500lbs DO)
c) Not a Turbojet

See FAR 61.31 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.31). There are other requirements (if the plane is pressurized, you must have an endorsement for that), or if the flight is conducted using NVG's...but that's the gist of it.