PDA

View Full Version : Callsigns - is there a rule?

samson.
24th Aug 2001, 23:43
Does anyone know the rules about callsign allocation? The general rule obviously is that you use the aircraft registration, but if you wanted to use something else, is there anything to stop you? I know that BA use Speedbird, Brymon use Brymon, various flying clubs have their own, as do the military (the best I heard were Nightmare 1 and 2 along with my personal favourite, Rampant Formation). So can I fly next time as 'Furry Love Muffin' or do I have to stick to Golf-Bravo-errrrrr-Juliet-November-errrrr so bored I've forgotten, oh yes-bravo-hotel? If anyone knows about this, I would be very grateful if you could share!

Thanks Samson

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: samson. ]

Zlin526
25th Aug 2001, 01:13
I believe all 'official' callsigns have to be registered with ICAO. I remember a guy who used an official callsign, but 'modified' it slightly. Seem to remember that he was investigated by someone (CAA or ICAO?) :confused:

Bouncy Landing
25th Aug 2001, 01:15
Within reason you can adopt your own - CAP 413 sepecifies the criteria.

Noggin
25th Aug 2001, 01:39
Call signs will be either the aircraft registration, or the manufacturers name or model designator succeeded by the registration.

Company callsigns must be registered with ICAO and are published in Doc 8585. They will comprise of a telephony name e.g "Speedbird" and a three letter identifier for flight plans.

Unlike civil callsigns which are often used to identify an organisation, Military callsigns are made up at random to avoid identifying the aircraft or activity.

To incorrectly use a callsign is an offence.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Noggin ]

Lew Ton
25th Aug 2001, 02:57
There use to be a very useful AIC about this entitled 'Unofficial Callsigns' but sadly it seems to have been deleted and I cannot find any reference about it elsewhere. No, you cannot make your own up and must comply with the criteria in CAP413. In fact, you should not even shorten a callsign until it is shortened first by the aeronautical ground station.

bcfc
25th Aug 2001, 23:40
Please, for the love of God, register 'Furry Love Muffin'. :D

DB6
26th Aug 2001, 00:45
Noggin, not quite right about the military callsigns, at least within the training environment where the callsign indicates the base of the aircraft e.g. CFN 45 for an aircraft based at Church Fenton, BKH 34 for Barkston Heath etc. etc.

CaptAirProx
26th Aug 2001, 00:52
samson. I had to apply for a callsign once. It was a nightmare. Ring AIS at Heathrow airport tower building. The number is 02087453419 the name is Cyril. He will tell you the requirements. Basically you must fax him a request of your callsign and three letter code which goes on the flight plan etc. This is sent to Canada where they approve or reject it. He normally can reject it over the phone as most of the callsigns you come up with have all been taken. It took us ages to find one we liked that had gone. There is a ICAO Doc you can by for £30.00 pounds od that has the latest callsigns and three/four letter codes issued world wide. Hope this helps. Oh it must be a company headed fax message to apply.

Noggin
26th Aug 2001, 12:58
DB6 The reference was to the examples given in the first post which were tactical callsigns, not training callsigns.

samson.
26th Aug 2001, 15:08
Thanks everyone for your responses - much appreciated.

A quick question for CaptAirProx - the method you describe for applying for callsigns, is this for Commercial callsigns? I see that you are a F/O, so was this for your company, or a private thing?

Thanks

CaptAirProx
26th Aug 2001, 22:36
Samson. I applied for a company that I was company pilot for a year ago. I believe it doesn't matter whether it is for a company or private, although you must apply using a company headed note paper and state your business. If you own an an aircraft, why not make that a business etc and apply. Or call yourself a company. I don't really know but one thing is for sure they didn't really care who I was provided I came up with a valid callsign request. I believe the service is still free. One of the last things in the aviation world that is. The callsign must be clear unambiguous and clean! Can't conflict with aviation phrases or be close to mistake. It makes finding a name a bitch. You will need at least three suggestions as I suspect the first two will be rejected. The company I flew for was only a shop!

Hope it helps.

Ps The guys name was Cyril Meadam - Callsigns AIS Heathrow

samson.
26th Aug 2001, 23:30
Thanks CaptAirProx - does a callsign have to be bound to a specific aircraft, or could it be linked with a company or person, who could use several aircraft? I know that in the military, individuals have callsigns, rather than aircraft. Is it the same in this case, or is it one callsign for one aircraft?

[ 26 August 2001: Message edited by: samson. ]

BozoUK
28th Aug 2001, 02:11
Hi,

just for your info, the company I work for at Exeter, Celtic West, has it's own ICAO identifier, CWE and callsign, Celtic.

We are allowed to use this for all of our flying activities:

so for our charter flights we use the callsign CWExxy (x being the date of the flight, and y being which leg of the charter eg. CWE031A),

CWExT for our PPL, IMC, Night and Twin training (each instructor has his own number)

CWE0x for non commercial flights using our aircraft (again each pilot has their own number).

Not sure if the above helps but it may be of interest.

We have had the code and callsign for about 4 years, but have to be careful sometimes as EuroCeltic have their name as their callsign (I beleive we had ours first, and were a little concerned that permission was granted for theirs), and another similar sounding name Celtic Airways of Plymouth were trying to use "Celtic" for themselves.