PDA

View Full Version : Useless performance charts

FlyingForFun
24th Aug 2001, 13:28
<Warning, long rant follows>

This coming Bank Holiday Monday, I had promised a ride to some of my family. I gave them a few options re. where they wanted to go, and they chose Compton Abbass - they liked the idea of flying across the Salisbury Plains. I've been there once before, and it's a nice airfield in some beautiful scenery - should be a good day out!

Now I know that the PA28-161s that I fly aren't too good with four on board, even though one of them is my 13 year old cousin (who is more like 8 years old in terms of her physical size). So last night I did some very careful weight, balance and performance calculations.

Weight needs some planning, but is not a problem. With the 4 of us on board, we can get enough fuel on to get us there and back with around 1.5hours of reserves - more than enough. And the CofG is well within limits.

Next, I moved on to the performance calculations. Landing is no problem - although if my landing is anything like the one I did last week, where I used most of the 2000m runway at North Weald, I'll find myself in a field 1/2 mile off the end of Compton's runway!

Next I moved on to take-off. Calculated the take-off performance, factored in the grass runway, then added on 33% as per CAA recommendations. I was surprised to find I needed around 860m of TOR, compared to the 800-ish m of TORA at Compton Abbass. (I think it's 806m, I forget exactly.)

Now, I've done a fair bit of flying in PA28s over the past few months. Much of this flying has been me and an instructor, with full fuel - which brings the weight pretty close to gross. So I thought I had a reasonable idea of what kind of performance I could expect, and even though Compton Abbass is at about 800' (700' higher than I'm used to), the weather forecast for Monday is pretty hot, and I'd allowed for zero wind, I didn't expect to be a full 60m short of runway!

Suspecting that something was wrong, I checked the factor that I was using for the grass field, and the safety factor. Both correct. I double-checked all my figures, they were all correct.

It was still fairly early in the evening, and I was bored. On a whim, I decided to head down to the airfield and take a look at the POH.

Now, I don't know about the aircraft you guys fly, but this is how it works with the PA28s at White Waltham. The main body of the POH contains about a million performance charts covering just about every conceivable scenario. But we're not allowed to use them. Instead, we have to use the CAA-approved performance charts, which live in the CAA Supplement at the back of the POH. There are a few differences between the CAA charts and the Piper charts:

The distances required for take-off, landing, etc, are slightly longer. Presumably Pipers were designed to be used in USA air, and don't work so well with UK air? Well, I don't have any better suggestions, do you?

The distances are shown in metres as well as feet. This is possibly the only useful difference

The CAA charts include the ability to factor in runway slopes. I guess a simple chart of %age factors for different gradients is insufficient for the few runways where there's any appreciable gradient, so they decided to make their charts more complicated instead?

Whereas the Piper charts are very nicely presented and easy to use, the CAA charts are photocopies of hand-drawn diagrams on something that looks very similar to WHSmith's "Back To School" graph paper.

The other big difference is that instead of about a million charts, there are something like 5. This means that instead of having around 1/4million different choices of charts to use for take off performance, I only have one.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the problem lies. You see, somewhere in the small-print of the CAA suppliment, just before the charts themselves, it has the magic piece of information that I'd missed. "Take-off figures assume <insert several assumptions here>, 0 degrees flaps, <insert more assumptions here>"....

Wait a minute! 0 degress flaps? Now, I may be wrong here, but I thought take-off performance figures should show the minimum take-off run required. And the minimum, unless I've been taught incorrectly, is definitely not acheived with 0 degrees flaps!

I flicked to the Take-Off section of the normal operating procedures chapter, and there, sure enough, it states that "a significant reduction in the ground run can be acheived by using 25 degrees of flap."

So, the question is, which idiot in the CAA decided not to measure the short-field take-off performance???

I showed this to my instructor, who had finished work but was sitting around having a beer before she went home. The "official" Piper charts show two sets of performance figures - one with 0 degrees flap, and one with 25 degrees flap. We decided to find the difference between the two for the specific conditions under which I would be operating (turns out to be just under 8%), and apply this to the CAA charts. You'll be pleased to know that, once I did this, there is more than enough runway at Compton Abbass - so I will be heading down there on Monday, weather permitting.

There are two morals to learn from this:

Read the small-print, and find out exactly what performance your performance charts are giving you

The CAA are idiots!

Ok, rant mode off, and if you've got this far, I thank you for letting me unload my anger on you!

Blue skies and safe flying,

FFF
------------

bcfc
24th Aug 2001, 15:42
Have fun!

FlyingForFun
24th Aug 2001, 16:11
Ok, I've calmed down a bit now.

I should point out that I had a particularly bad day at work yesterday, and that my rant was completely out of proportion compared to the size of the problem. But I've had a much less stressful morning, and I've just been out for a walk in the park in glorious sun-shine - and now I'm feeling better!

Of course, having the chart only for 0 degrees of flap is probably not that bad. Better than having it only for 25 degrees, then some idiot doesn't realise that it says 25 degrees, tries to take off from a short field with no flaps, and wonders why he doesn't make it. :eek: But I still can't see why the CAA couldn't produce charts for both cases, or even just let us use the perfectly good Piper charts that come with the POH.

FFF
----------

arrow2
24th Aug 2001, 17:15
Have a good day FFF - great to see the time being taken to work it all out. I am off to La Rochelle via Deauville tomorrow morning (anyone want to join our little group for lunch at LFRG?) and the forecasts are saying 32 C for the west coast of Froggieland for the weekend so I guess I am not going to see 1000'/min climb rates!

Oh well it is going to be even distribution of pax and baggage across all 6 aircraft and nice, long tarmac fields I think.

Now have they cleaned the beach?

a2

Tricky Woo
24th Aug 2001, 18:00
Nice rant.

TW

clockworkclown
24th Aug 2001, 18:08
FFF, you will probably find that the CAA charts are to be used for public transport flights ie fare paying passengers as I would guess that your aircraft will be public category if it is a school aircraft. The use of 25 degrees of flap on PA28's is a short field technique. The CAA tend not to allow short field techniques when an aircraft is engaged in public transport work (it was the case with a Seneca that I flew). There is nothing wrong with using the manufacturers figures for a private flight and using the recommended factors, though it is recognised that these can be a little optimistic due to marketing considerations, wear and tear etc, hence the CAA recommendations. If a 4 up warrior cannot get into the air safely at Compton Abbas then we really are missing something!! Enjoy your day out, long range forecast looks promising!!

FlyingForFun
24th Aug 2001, 19:06
Thanks for the info, Clockwork. Kind of makes sense.

Does flight instruction count as Public Transport? Coz I definitely did short field take-offs for my PPL - although admitedly not from short fields!

I agree completely that a Warrior should be able to get into the air at Compton Abbass. In fact, I wasn't even going to bother checking! Checking weight with 4-up is pretty much mandatory, and it was really just a case of "well, while I've got all the paperwork to hand, I may as well check the performance figures too...." But I promise you, according to the CAA performance graphs, it's not possible! In fact, it would just about be possible to get off the ground 4-up, as long as you don't want to take any fuel with you.....

Anyway, didn't know that CAA don't like short-field techniques for Public Transport. You learn something new every day.....

Cheers,

FFF
---------

kabz
24th Aug 2001, 22:10
Surely if the plane has been certified as airworthy, the manufacturers performance and limitations should be part of the certified package...

That seems to be how it is here in the USA. FAA have better things to do than screw with perfectly good graphs... at least in GA sized aircraft.

Cobbler
25th Aug 2001, 01:02
If the CAA figures are for Public Transport flights, will they already include the 33% safety factor, so that the only figure you need to add on is the grass field adjustment?

FlyingForFun
28th Aug 2001, 12:52
Well, the weather yesterday was absolutely beautiful, and we had a pretty much perfect flight, with a great view of the Isle of White, Portsmouth and Bournemouth to the south, and Didcot Power station and beyond to the north. (Ok, so the view to the south was better!)

We made it to Compton Abbas without any problems at all, and almost (but not quite) managed to see the airfield before we flew right over the top of it!

Had some lunch, spent a while enjoying the scenery and watching aircraft come and go, then headed back to our Warrior. Started up, noticed the fuel pressure guage was showing zero, followed a few seconds later by the engine quitting. Spent a few moments investigating before sheepishly admitting to my passengers that I'd forgotten to turn the fuel on!

Lined up right on the numbers, toe-brakes on and full throttle, come off the brakes, and she very slowly started to pick up speed. I saw the end of the runway getting closer, but the airspeed indicator was registering, and increasing. Then, a brief buzz from the stall warner as she lifted off. Lower the nose to build up a bit of speed, and climbed away, a little bit before the end of the runway passed beneath me. Using short-field techniques, there was plenty of room for the take-off, as expected.

The flight back was almost as good as the flight down. A couple of minor bumps along the way, but the vis was still superb. A slight difference in forecast and actual winds meant I drifted slightly south, but I think I caught it before busting Solent's airspace!

All in all, a great flight, and my passengers enjoyed it too. I even managed to pull off two fairly good landings to impress them with (complete fluke!)

Hope everyone else managed to get some good flying in, too, in the couple of days of good weather. Let's have some "bank-holiday weekend flying" stories!

Cobbler, I don't believe the CAA included a safety factor in the take-off performance charts. They did include a safety factor in the landing charts, and it's clearly marked on the charts. But no such markings on the take-off figures.

Take care!

FFF
-------------

bcfc
28th Aug 2001, 13:07
FFF - sounds like you had fun.

Saturday took my brother up for the first time. Viz was borderline and 5k tops. It was like milk and when it obviously wasn't getting better, we cut it short. Shame as he'd come down from London.

Monday, however, was one of the best flying days I've had. Gentle wind, perfect viz and 'er indoors in the right seat. Just pootled down to Dartmouth & Salcombe and spent a while orbiting around the estuary where the sun glints off the water. We buzzed a yacht race off Slapton and then headed back. To top it off, I geased a 10Kt cross-wind landing.

I looked like the Cheshire Cat for the rest of the day :D