PDA

View Full Version : Balloons in the ATZ

bcfc
23rd Aug 2001, 12:36
Drove passed Exeter airport this morning and out of the mist and murk appeared a hot air balloon at about 500ft and well within the ATZ. I reckon less than a mile and 30 degrees off the 08 threshold.

Viz was about 2000 so no VFR but Exeter has regular scheduled stuff so what was the balloon doing so close? There are loads of fields to land, bugger all wind and with the city, estuary and motorway, it would have to come down soon anyway.

They're OK for the Serengetti but on a foggy day in Devon... :rolleyes:

Yogi-Bear
23rd Aug 2001, 16:10
Nah. It was a mirage you were seeing. These things happen in Devon....or was it Cornwall? ;)

Grainger
24th Aug 2001, 15:20
I remember being in Albuquerque back in 1996 for the hot air balloon festival. Hundreds of balloons doing a mass ascent first thing in the morning is quite a sight - especially as the wind drifted them all across the Albuquerque International Airport !

We were delayed waiting for all to be cleared up, but didn't mind a bit - it was a hell of a laugh watching ground crews chasing balloons all over the place !

EGTE
27th Aug 2001, 01:59
It's not unusual for the local HAB pleasure flying company to fly close to Exeter Airport. Always in contact with Exeter ATC on the radio. The company and ATC have built up a good relationship over the past few years. One even landed on the airfield a couple of years ago!

JB007
27th Aug 2001, 13:25
I live right on the edge of LGW ATZ and have a number of balloons flying in this area during summer evenings.

Don't know anything about flying a balloon so I assume the height they are all at is no threat to any inbound or outnound LGW traffic ?