PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2001, 23:04
I am looking at flying to Tenerife in a Baron or a C340A at some point in December or January. Does anybody have any practical information. Of particular interest are:

- Airport Charges
- Favoured Routings from the UK
- Fuel Charges
- Preferred Airports on the Islands
- Relevant websites
- Any other info, restrictions

If anybody happens to have done it before, any experiences to share would be gratefully received.

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: 2Donkeys ]

Holly_Copter
22nd Oct 2001, 03:21
Hi 2Donkeys,

I'll be interested in any replies you get too. I've just bought a villa near the southern airport, and the intention is to be living there a couple of months a year, and more in the coming years.
In the UK, I run an aviation company, with several helicopters. I really want to be able to fly while I'm down there. My inital enquiries (though I haven't spoken to the authorities yet..) tell me there's only SAR and Police heli's there. If that's true, then I'll have to consider shipping one down there.

Holly_Copter.

2Donkeys
22nd Oct 2001, 12:55
Holly

Those wouldn't happen be your helicopters on the left, as I taxi to the 23 hold from the Bunny's Ears, would they?

Holly_Copter
24th Oct 2001, 22:44
Hi,

I used to have a couple of machines based at Cambridge, but not since spring of this year. (In fact I learned to fly helicopters at Cambridge). The nearest at the moment is Duxford, where one of my R22's is being used.

...and if you have a couple of spare seats for the trip down to Tenerife, I'd be interested in a one-way trip as I'm planning to go out there just after Christmas anyway!

Holly_Copter

Floppy Link
27th Oct 2001, 21:38
Found this Notam when idly flicking through the paperwork on the way down to the Canaries yesterday, may be of interest...

GCTS REF/AIP AD2-GCTS1 DATED 06-SEP-01
FUEL AVGAS 100LL COMPLETELY WITHDRAWN
VALID FROM 1600 19 SEP 2001 VALID TO PERM (A4531/01)

so I had a look in the other books, You can get Avgas at Las Palmas (GCLP), Lanzarote Arecife (GCRR), and Tenerife North (GCXO)

so no avgas at the other airfields
Tenerife South GCTS
Fuerteventura GCFV
Hierro GCHI
La Gomera GCGM
La Palma GCLA

If you are confortable with long overwater legs I'd route Faro to Porto Santo or Madeira (formerly Funchal) for a nightstop and then on to the Canaries. Don't know about the fuel situation in Madeira, sorry.
If you can't get through on the radio we'll be happy to relay if we're about. Callsign Jetset (Air2000)
Good luck

2Donkeys
30th Oct 2001, 13:28
Thanks for the info Floppy Link. TFN was my intended arrival point. It is certainly not heavily used now, and seems to be more geared up to GA - even if the wx is occasionally cr*ppy

I can certainly make Faro direct to TFN, and won't be too many feet below you in the C340 :)

Keef
31st Oct 2001, 03:06
I visited Tenerife earlier this year - NOT a place I'd want to fly in a single, cos nowhere to go if an engine fails.

However, I noticed that Tenerife North (GCXO?) is where all the German flights go. It seems the Brits go to the sunny/tacky South of the Island, and the Germans to the rainy but more elegant North. You may be surprised at the amount of traffic at GCXO. ;)