PDA

View Full Version : C172....approach speed ?

Flybywyre
21st Oct 2001, 14:40
Any regular C172 drivers out there like to comment on what final approach speed (KIAS) they use (full flap) ?
I do realise this will vary with conditions, so lets say this is on a perfect day with just a light wind straight down the runway.

Cheers
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif
FBW

[ 21 October 2001: Message edited by: Flybywyre ]

Justappl
21st Oct 2001, 14:52
With full flap (30 degrees), I use 60-65Knts depending on number of passengers.

Spacer
21st Oct 2001, 17:53
I use the same of 60-65kts with full flap. Its normally 70 reducing to 65 over the threshold.
But remember, I'd rather go 5kts too fast than 5 too slow. :)

A and C
21st Oct 2001, 22:35
I would echo the bit above about going to slow but i,v seen a lot of nose gears bent and engines shock loaded when a fast aproach ends in a PIO on landing(s).
I,m not going to recomend a speed but i will recomend that you read the flight manual for the aircraft after all cessna should know more about the aircraft than most of the pundits in the flying club bar.

JuicyLucy
22nd Oct 2001, 00:14
Which model ?
Use the speed range in the POH - thats what it's there for.
Don't add 5kts for luck and another 5kts for the kids, thats how nose gears are bent and short runways overrun....

Flybywyre
22nd Oct 2001, 19:01
Thanks for the reply's.
As a matter of interest the POH is **** !
That's why I asked the question.
Regards
FBW

Squawk 8888
22nd Oct 2001, 21:13
Rule of thumb I was taught was 60 KIAS, plus half the gust factor, but never more than 70 knots (wouldn't want to land in a 20Kt gust anyway :eek :). So for example a wind of 5G15 would give me 65 knots.

A and C
22nd Oct 2001, 22:14
Flybywire it should be in the flight manual/POH but normaly you should cross the hedge at 1.3 Vs add about 5kt for the aproach on a good day and a little more to take account of gusty conditions but dont go too fast as this will lead to PIO just before touch down ,this seems to be the enemy of all the small cessnas and the result is much overtime in the engineering department.

Unusual Attitude
24th Oct 2001, 02:30
Into a really short demanding field I use 60 down finals and 50 over the threshold as this removes the tendancy for the aircraft to float in ground effect.

If its windy i'll add another 5 knots for good measure.

Regards

UA

SkyCruiser
24th Oct 2001, 15:03
FBW,
Last time I flew a 172 I forgot what plane I was in and tried landing it at over 100kts, interesting.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Flybywyre
25th Oct 2001, 01:49
SC...............
Well I hope you don't forget what plane you are flying on the day job.........trying to land that at 50 KIAS over the hedge would be VERY INTERESTING!!

:D :D :D :D
FBW

25th Oct 2001, 06:43
I try to keep it between 60 and 70..usually 70 until I'm sure of getting in .. and then slow her up until the nose is up and then with full back trim control r.o.d (seat of pants) with power and don't let her touch down until she has no energy left. Took me ages to fly for feel rather than nailing speeds - chopping power - floating for meters then touching down wherever - I still cross check asi but look more for a nose attitude now. Still heaps of improvement for me though!! Still bounce em!!

brisl
26th Oct 2001, 16:52
I too spent a long time learning to "fly" a landing rather than just following a recipe that usually ended somewhere near touchdown.

However, you really must look at the POH as well. Apart from anything else, someone who got into my C172 believing that full flaps was 30 degrees could have a rather bad day ;)

Wassat Noyze
26th Oct 2001, 20:38
Also worth cosidering when to chop the power, as a little residual airflow from the prop improves the elevator response in the flare - an area where the 172 can become a little sluggish when all the seats are occupied. All helps to polish the technique, especially into a short field!