PDA

View Full Version : desperate cloud-watcher seeks cheap PPL near Durham (any route! incl. NPPL/TMG/etc)

albin0
14th Sep 2010, 11:29
-----

Summary: My main objective is to secure some kind of qualification in 3-axis a/c as swiftly and cheaply as poss., and worry about differences training later, when time allows. Any suggestions gratefully received.
-----

hi,

I'm rapidly realising that, as they say, "if God had wanted man to fly, He would have given him more money"...
Just wondering what the cheapest route to any kind of single engine piston PPL is in the North-East of England? Sadly getting a couple of weeks to hop over the pond is probably not possible. I'm quite open to the idea of a TMG PPL or NPPL(M) or NPPL (SLMG) with a later conversion to SSEA. Ideally I'd go for a PPL so I could fly over to Ireland.
I have no idea, of course, if there's any cheap TMG tuition going in the area! I have about 30 hours on SEP a/c incl half an hour of solo nav, but this has been sporadically acquired, and I am in need of ++refresher training!

Having scoured the internet, I realise that Newcastle & Durham Tees Valley flying schools have been discussed at length on here; A PPL from a Durham Tees Valley school would of course be the benchmark against which "cheap" would be measured. (I.E. £132.50ph/£3pT&G)

Many, many thanks for any input!
al

P.S. I read with interest a post from 2008 by "Fournier Boy" suggesting that for an extra cheap route, one might train at an unlicensed airfield and simply do the qualifying flights from somewhere appropriate...

"...I think you'll find its only the GFT NFT and Solo that have to be conducted from a licenced field. Same legislation that allows you to taildragger and farm strip courses at private strips.

You will find that this is a perfectly legal way around legislation which still fulfils the necessary syllabus at a reduced cost for the student. Personally I'm all for that sort of thing."

batninth
15th Sep 2010, 17:28
Al,

Have you seen the PM I left you?

Flyingmac
16th Sep 2010, 12:28
There's a fly-in at Fishburn on the 25th. Call in and ask about. Ask for Beryl, she'll look after you.

albin0
21st Sep 2010, 11:43
Fishburn! great suggestion - sadly I'm tied up on sat, but I'll be sure to give them a ring!
thanks