PDA

View Full Version : quite desperate for some help here

Large Dave
22nd Aug 2001, 13:33
ok i've got myself into a problem here. basically, on monday i'm off to Air Desert Pacific, LA for 50 hrs flying and the CAA won't have validated my license in time. I've met all the requirements no problem, did the skill test yesterday and took it all down this morning in the hope that given the circumstances they could do it in time but in-spite of my best efforts they are refusing to budge on their 'policy'.
They best they can do me is ten working days and then courier it out, but that would be two weeks into my three week stay.

So, i'm needing some ideas. good ones preferably. Is there anyway i can get an FAA license issued purely on the strength of the forms? Will they take a faxed out license? Is there absolutely no way the CAA can process it quicker?

HELP!!!

Distressed Dave.

bcfc
22nd Aug 2001, 17:32
Sorry Dave, can't offer any help - only sympathy.

One thing struck me, though. Isn't it a bit risky to book the trip to LA for hour-building before you've taken your skills test? What if you failed? Anyway, I admire your confidence and hope it all works out well.

150Driver
22nd Aug 2001, 17:52
You could get an FAA medical (they would issue one on the spot, and it's cheaper than here) look at http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/ for a list of AMEs, and then fly on a 'student license' - there might be some additional paperwork but it wouldn't be too involved & you might have to do FAA air law (which isn't difficult - go to www.webexams.com (http://www.webexams.com) for practise questions)

poetpilot
22nd Aug 2001, 20:17
Sorry, this isnt exactly offering help, but this outfit (in LA) was one I was looking at myself to go and do some flying with. Their airfield (Brackett) is quite close to a friend of mine. I'd be grateful if (when you've been and returned) you could give me an opinion of them.

In this particular case, have you phoned/emailed them yet & asked for advice/help/co-operation on what to do?

I'm assuming you've probably booked a cheap-no-refunds flight out there which means you are committed to going on Monday whatever. But if not, how about negotiating a delay before you go? May be worth paying the airline some extra to make this possible?

28thJuly2001
22nd Aug 2001, 21:01
Agree with BCFC, surely you should have :-
1) Passed your skills test.
2) Received your licence.
3) Booked the hour building trip.

I know of a person whose licence took 3 months<<NIGHTMARE>> My flying club has told me I am still a student until I have my licence in my sweaty palms..Waited 8 days so far.. I know I have been no help at all but I cannot understand your thinking. Is there a reason that I have missed why you booked the trip before receiving your PPL?
Walt,,

Cahlibahn
22nd Aug 2001, 21:15
Doesn't look as if you haveany options, does it? I think your only choice is to talk with ADP to arrange some groundschool and then to gain an unrestricted FAA certificate.

stand37r
22nd Aug 2001, 22:50
Hope you get something sorted. I flew with ADP back in 1995. Found them very professional and the Archers we hired were better than any we had used in the UK. Check flights were thorough and involved Big Bear City elev c. 8000'and Catalina Island. We also visited Mojave and Palm Springs. ATC at Brackett very slick & quick, takes a bit of getting used to, but if you make it, i'm sure you'll have fun!

Land After
23rd Aug 2001, 03:26
Find a US AME, get a student medical either here or in the US and fly as a student after checkrides with your school in LA. It's all P1 post PPL pass & valid hours. If the school knows you have the UK PPL they should be flexible.

I'm just assuming you don't want to take any PAX.

Squawk 8888
23rd Aug 2001, 03:34
Doesn't the CAA allow the schools to issue licences? Over here, when the CFI files the paperwork he stamps the Student Pilot Permit to make it a temporary licence. Stateside, I don't know about the schools but the FAA offices issue the temporary licence on the spot. Really simplifies things, because they can take their sweet time with the permanent licence without inconveniencing anybody.

Edit- still not clear on the difference between "with" and "without".

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: Squawk 8888 ]

Right Stuff
23rd Aug 2001, 13:39
Everyone should get off Dave's case - the trip is joint with me, and the skills test was delayed several times due to unforseens. As far as ADP goes, I'll put up a post when I return and let you know all about US flying and ADP itself.

englishal
23rd Aug 2001, 14:16
We were caught out this way, we went for some hour building at LGB, and my mates licence hadn't arrived in time. The FAA FSDO issued his temp airmans certificate no problem (you need your CAA licence number to get this...), but as this is only valid in conjunction with the JAA PPL then it was effectively invalid. As he had a student permit from before, he was allowed to fly on this but SOLO, and remember that the instructor has to endorse your cross country routes on the FAA student permit. Every time we carried PAX I had to be PIC according to the law as I was effectively the only one with a valid licence.

Depending on how long you're off to the states for, the CAA may send your licence out to California...

M.Mouse
23rd Aug 2001, 17:52
Might be a long shot but have you tried telephoning your MP? Mine is particularly good and a telephone call on your behalf can sometimes work wonders. I had a problem with my girlfriends passport issue and it was sorted v.quickly after she (my MP) intervened.

I had little sympathy initially but as this was a trip pre - planned with a pal and you suffered delays that puts a slightly different light on it all.

Good luck.

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: M.Mouse ]

A and C
23rd Aug 2001, 18:30
Get off to transair buy one of the FAA PPl test prep programs for your PC you should be hitting 80-90% with 3 or 4 evenings work then go to the USA do the FAA ground exam at a computor test center (instant result)do the flight test and have the FAA PPL befor the pondlife at gatwick has issued your UK PPL.
The FAA issues a temporary airman certificate the instant you have passed the flight test the full certificate will follow by post about 8-10 weeks later but the TAC is as good as the "real thing"

CAA take note !

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: A and C ]