PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recently revalidated 2 or more NPPL class ratings?

Fake Sealion
14th Sep 2010, 09:15
Within the next 12 weeks I will be re-validating my NPPL (SSEA) by experience. I also hold a NPPL (M). Am I right in assuming I need to obtain a signature from a JAA SEP examiner even though some of my experience requirements are cross credited from my microlight flying as per the ANO.

The two year validity periods for the two class ratings are not concurrent so a few more months ahead I will then have to obtain another signature from an examiner to re-val my NPPL (M) - can a JAA SEP examiner do this or does it need to be a BMAA examiner??

The point is I am fairly certain that the average JAA/BMAA examiner will not be too clear about this....and why should he/she! ?

I am sure there are quite a few holders of 2 or more NPPL class ratings out there? I would be interested in your comments before I attempt to obtain an answer from the NPPL people :eek:

S-Works
14th Sep 2010, 09:25
A JAA Examiner can sign both microlight and SSEA ratings for you. A Microlight examiner can only do the microlight bit. If you are revalidating by experience then a JAA Revalidation Examiner or Ground Examiner will do.

If the ratings are only a few months apart why not just get the examiner to bring them into line with each other?

BEagle
14th Sep 2010, 09:38
A process to align the expiry dates of multiple NPPL Class Ratings has been agreed between the NPPL P&SC and the CAA; however, we are now waiting for the reprint of LASORS before publicising it....:\ Basically, whichever expires first will be used as the date from which all others will then be valid. So by the time you need to revalidate your SSEA Class Rating, it should have been publicised - and you will be able to get both Ratings signed up for identical 2-year periods at the same time. No doubt the usual barrack-room lawyers will whinge, but the idea is to make it easier for you to be able to take advantage of the consolidated revalidation system introduced in 2008 and to reduce the hassle of obtaining signatures.

It is now nearly 4 years since the CAA agree that any authorised NPPL examiner should be permitted to sign any revalidation/renewal paperwork; however, despite frequent prods, the CAA has yet to decide how this will be achieved...:rolleyes: I will be sending them a birthday card on the 4th anniversary....;)

Fake Sealion
14th Sep 2010, 10:16
Bose and BEagle - thanks for the prompt replies.

My two ratings are 9 months out of sync with the first (SSEA) expiring Dec 28 2010.

Its been somewhat tricky to run a spreadsheet to track years one and two of both ratings with the cross credits from/to each (!) so it makes a lot of sense to now get "in sync" and set a common expiry date of Dec 28 2012.

One last point - do I have to wait until 3 months before expiry before I can request a reval signature or can I request it anytime in Year two as long as the 6 hours in year two experience hours are achieved.

BEagle
14th Sep 2010, 11:21
No, you do not need to wait until the last 3 months for the signature - you can ask for it as soon as you've met the criteria.

The 'signature in last 3 months' is yet another CAA error - no such thing is required under JAR-FCL...:rolleyes:

Whopity
14th Sep 2010, 11:22
An NPPL can be revalidated at any time during the validity period provided you meet the relevant experience requirements at the date of revalidation defined in the ANO Schedule 7 Section 3 as the "Specified Date". The 3 month period was another legal cock-up that was incorrectly applied to JAA licences. i.e. its not a JAA requirement!

On that basis synchronisation is not really necessary as both will run for another 2 years!

BEagle
14th Sep 2010, 12:00
Unfortunately Sir Humph's wording in the ANO make it appear that synchronisation isn't possible.... Whereas that was never the intention.

Bringing 2 or 3 NPPL Class Ratings into alignment will make things considerably easier for both licence holders and examiners.

The wording has all been agreed with the CAA, as has also the agreed method for removing the 'Single Seat Only' restriction which some pilots may have on their ratings.