PDA

View Full Version : PPL Syllabus Requirements

Waldo P Barnstormer
21st Aug 2001, 02:40
Many years ago I managed to obtain a flying scholarship, paid for some flying myself and then indulged in Uni for 8 years. Due to financial reasons I didn't finish my PPL. Now that i have joined the ranks of the gainfully employed (groan) I now wish to finish it. I contacted the CAA, checked their online literature and it "appears" that all I have to do is the skills test (old NFT&GFT) and the exams. As I have the hours and solo cross-countrys I don't have to do these again even though I did them 8 years ago, can this be true? The CAA chap I spoke to on the phone said yes, but didn't sound very sure and the literature doesn't mention expiry times. I would be most grateful if somebody in the know could please confirm that these requirements do not expire.

Many thanks in advance,

Waldo.

GoneWest
21st Aug 2001, 06:33
Waldo - certain of the flight requirements have a shelf life - which will have expired and will need renewing...easy stuff.

The hours still count. Do the renewal bits, convince a school that you can fly their aeroplanes - then go rent one and fly your tests.

Good luck - enjoy.

Noggin
21st Aug 2001, 21:52
You will need to do enough training to pass the Skills Test, if you have not flown for 8 years I would suggest that you should be prepared for about 10 hours flying. You will have to do GH, stalling and circuits to solo standard again. You will probably need to refresh your navigation. Was your X Ctry 150 nm? many were a lot shorter, typically 130 nm. You only needed 4 hours solo nav under the old rules, its now 5 hours. There are no mandatory requirements or expired items other than the Exams and the Skill Test, you will not do the latter without practice.