PDA

View Full Version : My First Lesson

HPSC
13th Sep 2010, 17:00
Hello Everyone !
I now 16 and have my pilots logbook and ready to start my PPL Lessons :O Im just wondering if anyone has any useful tips ?

Im soo excited !!

PeterCollins
13th Sep 2010, 17:27
Firstly enjoy it, Im only a few hours in and alot of people will tell you to conentrate and treat it very seriously. You Should, but not at the expense of remembering WHY you are doing it and the wonder that the ppl brings to you

Oh and give your parents a big ol hug as i assume they are funding it ;)

Im 27 and i have only just been able to start funding mine ;)

mary meagher
13th Sep 2010, 19:51
Hello, Peter, and HPSC -

Have a read of the thread "Confused and Frustrated", there are some good tips, including mine, of course.

Mainly, enjoy!

Happy landings!!

Genghis the Engineer
13th Sep 2010, 19:56
Relax

Enjoy it.

Look out of the window rather than inside at the instruments, unless specifically told to look at the instruments.

Don't try to analyse what you're doing, especially verbally, too much in the air. File that stuff away for the debrief with your instructor after landing.

And remember, even learning to fly is fun, and your instructor is there to keep it both safe and fun - so trust them and just enjoy the whole process.

Once you're a little further down the way, always take the time to do any preparation that your instructor asks of you.

G

bingofuel
13th Sep 2010, 20:05
Just remember there is no such thing as a silly question.

If you do not understand something, ask and ask again until you really do understand. Any decent instructor will have no problem spending whatever time is required to make sure you do understand.

walshy_MAN
14th Sep 2010, 11:54
Like other comments on here, enjoy it, and dont forget to make time to sit down with the books. The studying side can be just as enjoyable.

Jan Olieslagers
14th Sep 2010, 13:28
Do remember you are spending a lot of money! Along with other posters, I assume it is not your own, therefore you should be doubly careful.
1) Whenever in doubt, DO NOT FLY. As already said, flying and learning should absolutely be fun. It is too expensive to be anything else, though we shouldn't expect a nice little effortless walk in the garden, either. It has happened to me in early learning to take off, with the instructor in control, and on the first circuit downwind I decided to stop. No problem to the instructor: he landed us with a smile and wished me better next time. Exactly as he should - I am still grateful, for this and other moments of his fine gentlemanship.
2) If/when a particular plane, instructor, aerodrome do not please you, for any non-whimsical reason, look around for alternatives.
And do whatever you can to gratify your sponsors. Perhaps they'll enjoy technical descriptions of your progress, more likely they only hope to see you smile. Most sponsors will however be glad to be named and praised at every occasion - and deservedly, too. Don't forget them!

HappyLittleRainCloud
14th Sep 2010, 13:40
Like some of the other chaps on here have already touched on, its also very important to get the books and do the reading beforehand. If you read each stage before you go up, you know exactly what to expect and more importantly why you are learning it, which means you make the most of your experience whilst in the air. I'm sure that whereever you are training, the school should have dvd's that you can watch on ladinging, stalling, use of flaps etc... if ever your flights get cancelled, so if you do turn up for a lesson and the weathers too bad, do make use of your time there by watching the dvds. Most of all, enjoy it, its an experience like no other. :ok:

TCU
14th Sep 2010, 14:25
The most cost effective flying you can do is when the plane is parked up on the ground before and after your lessons or perhaps at other times

When ever possible, spend some time just seated in the aircraft, practice radio calls, instrument scans, go through standard checklist items...pre-flights, EFATO, fire drills etc. Even finding your best seat position can enhance your flying enjoyment

Get as familiar as you can with the flight controls and aircraft systems; reference your text books with the actual aircraft and engine on the aircraft you are flying

This will give you a nice advantage when in the air during your early instruction, as you will be able to reach for the trim wheel or flap lever or what ever when asked to do so by your instructor (or later, as expected to do so by your instructor!)

Above all though, enjoy the privilege of flight

PS....put Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche on your Christmas list

Stapleford 2007
14th Sep 2010, 14:31
I would echo the advice of the previous posts - enjoy, commit, prepare.....etc

I would also advise you to start the written exams asap especially as you will need the Air Law passed before you can solo and that might come around quicker than you think. With winter approaching, there will be quite a few days when you won't be able to fly and all the dark evenings present an opportunity to read and pass exams. Do not fall into the trap of leaving exams until the end.
I would also suggest you use other resources to help you progress your flying. Some of these include use of Flight Sim, DVDs on PPL Flight training and even Google Earth once you start your navigation exercises. All of these will save you money and speed up your training.

Have fun.

Paul H
15th Sep 2010, 15:46
One thing I would recommend is to try and stay focused. It may be different for you if your not paying, but when I started to run out of money after 40+hrs I had to stop flying for about 6 months to save up again and really lost interest. I got back into it eventually but I never really enjoyed it, as everytime I booked a flight, the weather forced me to call it off. The less you fly, the less you want to fly (at least for me...maybe I get bored easily).
Knowledge is power, the more you know about flying the more enjoyable it is and the easier it is in the air too.
You must be coming upto exams at school now at your age whatever country your in, so don't get too wrapped up in flying, the rest of your education is just as important. Your very young, you've got plenty of time ahead of you, enjoy your life, don't rush anything.

CanAmdelta1
15th Sep 2010, 21:01
Read Stick and Rudder. It is worth the money and it will give you those Ah Ha moments when true understanding arrives.:eek: Have Fun

Prepare before each lesson and know what is going to be covered in that lesson. ASK ASK ASK questions...this is how one progresses from just demonstrating an exercise to understanding why you will need that skill as an aviator. Have Fun

Ask to move on to the next exercise when appropriate skill has developed.....no need to keep dual instruction until perfection, when you can practice that exercise while solo until perfection. Have Fun

Fly very very often especially up to the solo to prevent much instructor repeat/review while in the air. Have Fun

Keep your head on a swivel, your IAS up, and did I mention HAVE FUN?:ok:

HPSC
20th Sep 2010, 16:05
Thanks guys for all of your replies.:ok:

I phoned up to book my lesson in advance expecting it to be in a couple of months time, I had a nice supprise, they had a cancelation, and an hour later I was up in the sky with my instructor!I flew over my house oh and the power station!:} I really enjoyed the lesson and cant wait for my next one!
Oh and for those thinking 'mummy and daddy' are paying (I wish!!):ugh:, well there not, I'm paying, I have some money saved & currently looking for a part-time job as im studying for my A-Levels. I just hope I dont run out of money! haha

Cheers! .. happy flying!:ok: