PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Pratt or Trevor Thom

Don D Cake
16th Oct 2001, 16:02
or both?

I've started my PPL training and wondered if anyone can help me out with choice of books. I've got JP's flight training book and TT's R/T book both seem very good.

PS is it normal to compare the prices of stuff (clothes, holidays etc) with hours of flying ? eg "new pair of shoes or 1/2 hour flying?"

FlyingForFun
16th Oct 2001, 18:41
Don,

Regarding the choice of books, I'd say go with whatever your instructor recommends. That way, if you have questions, at least your instructor will be familiar with the books - you can point things out to him, and he'll know what he's looking at. Personally, I went with Trevor Thom (on my instructors recommendation) and found them, on the whole, excellent (but don't bother with the R/T book - CAP413 contains exactly the same information, but with a few phraseology differences which make things confusing).

As for comparing prices, no - it's never even occured to me to buy a new pair of shoes since I started flying :rolleyes:

Have fun!

FFF
---------

Lowtimer
16th Oct 2001, 19:00
Don D,

When I started my PPL course in earnest this March, the Jeremy Pratt air law volume was the only book I could find that seemed to be fully stabilised in the JAR/FCL world. The main rivals appeared then to be still transitioning from "old world". Obviously in the several months since then, other publishers may have caught up, but book publishing is a business which frequently suffers from long update cycles, so check before you buy.

Incidently, I agree with FFF - CAP 413 is the best source I've seen for the RT side of things.

IFollowRoads
17th Oct 2001, 00:35
One thing I'll suggest - take it as you like!

The whole set of books for the 'other' set will cost you less than an hours flying training.

I was lucky when I started, me and a colleague started at the same time, so he bought Pratt & I bought Thom, and we interchanged from time to time. I can't remember which I got more from (I've just moved house, and all my training books are still and un-labelled box somewhere), but on volume alone, there is more Thom.

Whichever route you choose, the best of luck, keep it fun :D

Crash Barrier
18th Oct 2001, 14:15
Has to be the 'Thom' books.
'Pratt' books are inferior.

28thJuly2001
18th Oct 2001, 14:30
Passed all my exams first time using the Jeremy Pratt books. He tries to be humourous at times but just lives up to his name.
Walt,,

Crash Barrier
18th Oct 2001, 16:47
I bet the books are a real scream!!!

FlyingForFun
18th Oct 2001, 20:07
I didn't think they were as scam, Crash Barrier - extremely helpful, and a fraction of the price of a book on whatever this month's craze is in the IT world (which has a much larger audience, and so should have lower prices).

But it's a free market - if you think you can do better, go for it!

FFF
---------

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: FlyingForFun ]

loglickychops
19th Oct 2001, 00:25
It's simple. Jerry always beats Tom in the end!

seriously - go for JP - he's even got the right type of initials (and writes excellent books with all the right information to take you to your exams and beyond).

Crash Barrier
19th Oct 2001, 11:29
F.F.F. Can you read ??

FlyingForFun
19th Oct 2001, 12:22
Read? Hmm, yeah, I remember being taught to do that a while ago. Now, let me think.....

* Goes back and reads the thread *

D'oh!

And I can't even claim that I was drunk at the time, because I was at work when I typed that!

:eek: :D :eek:

FFF
-------------

Spacer
20th Oct 2001, 18:50
I found Trevor Thom to be the best, and I did it just as we changed from CAA to JAR, so no-one was sure about it. Also definately use CAP413 for the radio stuff. It makes it quite easy.

Saab Dastard
20th Oct 2001, 20:58
DDC,

I think you will find that it doesn't matter which you go with - it's the PPL confuser that'll get you through the exams.

Dead right all those who recommended CAP 413 - the TT on RT was v. poor in comparison.

SD

cessnababe
21st Oct 2001, 15:55
The Trevor Thom books are much more comprehensive and contain proper cross references to allow you to follow up with further studies if you decide to go beyond your PPL. There is also now a new edition of a practice exam papers book with cross referencing to the TT manuals, called Questions and Answers. Recommended! Good luck!

FlyingForFun
22nd Oct 2001, 13:28
Saab,

I have to disagree with you regarding the Confuser. It's an excellent resource, and I'd recommend that everyone should have a copy of it to check that your knowledge is up to standard before going for the exam.

If you learn from the Confuser, you may know the answers to most of the questions by rote, but you won't understand the subject properly. Learn from a text-book of your choice, revise with the Confuser.

FFF
---------

Saab Dastard
22nd Oct 2001, 22:34
FFF,

I meant that the confuser will get you through the exams in exactly the same way that you said it should be used for revision.

I didn't advocate learning from it.

I think we agree.

SD

FlyingForFun
23rd Oct 2001, 13:55
Thanks for clarifying, Saab, and apologies if I sounded a little confrontational. Yes, it seems like we agree.

FFF
---------

Don D Cake
24th Oct 2001, 16:23
Thanks for the comments. As Xmas is just round the corner I'll think I'll ask Santa to bring me both sets of books. Got to be better than three pairs of slippers and a bottle of Brut.