PDA

View Full Version : EGCB Barton

Viggen
15th Oct 2001, 16:42
Anyone based / regularly flying to Barton, with any knowledge of what Peel Holdings (new landlords) are planning in terms of development of the site? Proposals do not seem to include any aviation-related activity...

Vfrpilotpb
15th Oct 2001, 18:41
My bet would be "Son of Trafford Centre", although it would be more useful to them as a shuttle landing ground from their airfield near Doncaster, but they would have to Tarmac it! :eek:

jodeller
16th Oct 2001, 01:07
My information is that a new company, Barton Airport Ltd, was set up in August 2001 headed up by a Alan J Parker and his co-director Lawson Stebbings. These men are also the directors of the new Caernarfon Airport Ltd company co-incidentally set up on the same day.

Anybody got any information on their hopes, plans etc for Barton and Caernarfon. Information from Wales suggests their flying intrests and knowledge amounts to knowing which is the front end and which is the back end.

IFollowRoads
16th Oct 2001, 01:36
I have today received a note from Action for Airfields. The outcome of this may have a significant impact on what the owners are allowed to do. I strongly urge you to make your (preferably pro-aviation :D ) opinion known.
Salford City Council has issued a draft area plans for each of its nine
community areas. These area plans will set out a vision of how the areas
should change over the next 10-20 years. Barton aerodrome is located within
one of these areas; Eccles.

Draft policy 'EC2 Barton Aerodrome' proposes...
"The aerodrome facility is a unique recreation and business asset of
regional importance, but there are pressures for its redevelopment for other
uses such as a rail freight terminal. The Council's position is that the
aerodrome use, and the openness of the site, be protected, should this
position be continued?"

Draft proposal 'EC3 Barton Railfreight Proposal' also explains the Council's
proposed opposition to the railfreight terminal.

The Council is seeking views on its draft proposals by the end of this month
(October 2001). By writing to the Council in support of the aerodrome you
will be helping to protect one of the few facilities available to GA in this
area and countering responses from those who oppose the aerodrome.

You can submit your comments in support of the Council's continued support
for the airfield by e-mail to: [email protected] or by letter
to:-

'Down Your Street'
Freepost, NWW1358,
M27 7BD

The full draft plan for Eccles can be found at http://www.salford.gov.uk/draftplans/eccles.asp

poetpilot
16th Oct 2001, 15:16
Some information people may want to consider in making comments on this....in no particular order of priority....
-----------------
The western half of the field is designated Green Belt land. (but, cynical old me that I am, when has that ever stopped anyone...)

Back in 1996, various proposals were made to Mcr Council & Salford council for the development of the non-airfield chunks of the land, in order to promote business takeup that would be sympathetic to & could co-exist with airfield activities. Salford were enthusiastic about this, Manchester were apathetic (as they've always been).

The airfield lies to the south of the railway line (Mcr-Liverpool). To the north, Peel Holdings are aggressively pursuing a plan to build a racecourse and develop the Botany Bay woods area. Local residents are already starting to get up in arms about this.

Peel have a long track record of expansion and developing on open land around Mcr. Their clout with Salford council appears to be substantial.

The motorway and residential areas around Barton are already totally overloaded as a result of Peel's and other people's developments. The whole area is murder to drive through and around, and more developments will only make it worse.

The Control Tower is a Grade II listed building.

In 1996, the Barton site supported somewhere around 600 livelihoods, if you take into account the other businesses (not just the airfield). If the site was developed as warehouses or a rail terminal, I'd bet it wouldnt support as many.

The ground re-engineering required to support railfreight or indeed access roads would be substantial - it's very boggy and liable to subsidence. More disruption and misery for the locals & anyone travelling around the area.

The airfield was the UK's (not sure if it was the world's) first planned municipal airport (1928).

The airfield environment supports and encourages much local wildlife.

The airfield plays a significant role in local education and recreation - i.e. visitor centre, field trips, etc. Whilst the place has its' NIMBYs, there is also considerable support from the local populace for its continuance.

poetpilot
16th Oct 2001, 15:20
....oh and about companies and suchlike....

I understand that the lease has been transferred to the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

49% of the above companies shares are owned by Manchester Council.

51% of the shares are owned by Peel Holdings.

Haven't heard anything about the Barton Airport thingy company wotsit.

agent.mulder
16th Oct 2001, 23:03
Hey Jodeller, does this mean that Ian 'Billypickles' Sixsmith has found another two mugs to con? :confused:

Viggen
19th Oct 2001, 14:24
All - I have put my (pro-aviation) views on why the site should remain dedicated to aviation, to [email protected] , the more of us who do this, the better case we can build. Also - anyone on here a member of Lancs Aero Club, go to www.lancsaeroclub.co.uk (http://www.lancsaeroclub.co.uk) and register for the LAC members forum, we've got a thread going on there as well.

Cheers

poetpilot
19th Oct 2001, 15:26
Good on you Viggen, I tried to join the lancsaeroclub.co.uk thread last night but got foiled by technology. Hope to see you on there shortly (don't call me shorty).

In the meantime I've posted some stuff up on www.flyer.co.uk (http://www.flyer.co.uk) also in the GA news forum.

Remember folks, we have just over ONE WEEK to write to Salford Council in defence of the aerodrome.

poetpilot
23rd Oct 2001, 15:19
The local MP in Barton's constituency (Eccles) is Ian Stewart (Lab). He can be emailed on:

[email protected]

Enquiries on Lancashire Aero Club's stance and actions (or offers of help) can be emailed to:

[email protected]

The current Chairman of Lancashire Aero Club is Peter Smith. If you email admin, they will pass on messages.

Just to save you looking back up the thread, the Salford Council email to contact is:

[email protected]

Viggen
24th Oct 2001, 16:11
Thanks PoetPilot - I assume you got onto the LAC forums? If not, email your membership number to nick at the aero club and he'll sort access for you.
BACK TO THE TOP - come on people, register your interest or soon we'll have nowhere to fly to/from!! What happens at Barton sets a precedent for YOUR local airfield when some developer decides to turn it into a sewage works / nuclear waste storage site ...

poetpilot
24th Oct 2001, 19:57
Thanks Viggen for the rallying call. Worth noting that as a result of our efforts, the flyer.co.uk site has put it out as a news item and has flagged up a forum for discussion.

As I have just stated on it, I would rather leave the strategy to the Club, Action for Airfields etc & concentrate on getting people to write in, because I dont wish to become a focal point per se.

So, the main thing is for people to EMAIL THE COUNCIL BEFORE THE END OF OCTOBER!!!

Oh well at least Barton won't be a sewage farm - we already have one on 09 approach :rolleyes:

- and as for a New Clear Waste dump, well the Barton site started as its Victorian equivalent you know - it was originally a "Night Waste" tip (weren't they polite in those days).

In the 70s, I remember ash from the Eccles power station (now demolished) being dumped on the runways "to harden them up". I'm surprised the grass hasnt mutated into man eating plants by now

:eek:

Still having problems getting into the LAC discussion group - although I am now an "approved" user. Nick's on the job....